Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Dinosaur Jr Gossip (keep all the chat here, dipshits) (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=14395)

pbradley 07.02.2007 05:56 AM

Dinosaur Jr Gossip (keep all the chat here, dipshits)
 
*opens up with a ridiculously long guitar solo*

Okay, so now that that is out of the way, let's keep all the Dino Jr talk here... for sanity's sake. Also this will give us the justification to attack any newcomer for their ignorance of this rather noodley thread. Sounds like fun, right? All I ask is that you inform them of this thread and encourage them to take whatever discussion here. This being said, I refuse to be held accountable if some twat makes a Dinosaur Jr thread anyways (were all looking at you, Buzzo :p). I'm just trying to help everyone out.

Also feel free to come in here and vent about how you don't get how people can like them, just don't be too big of a douche and remember that you can still easily avoid this thread.

Have I got the bases covered?

So I guess I'll start off the convo... Name your favorite J Mascis guitar solo. For me, "Don't." There's no fucking around there. Distortion, screaming, one long-ass psychedelic solo. Yes, I even love how it gets pathetic towards the end.

sonicl 07.02.2007 06:03 AM

"Maggot Brain", on Mike Watt's "Ball Hog or Tug Boat". Look at that, I've cheated already and named a track that's not by Dinosaur Jr.


How come no-one ever asks what is everyone's favourite Murph drumming performance? Or the favourite Mike Johnson bass riff?

cryptowonderdruginvogue 07.02.2007 06:03 AM

best. idea. ever.

thanks.

pbradley 07.02.2007 06:05 AM

There's a great (and rather short) live version of that on youtube.

sarramkrop 07.02.2007 06:10 AM

Well done, chap. I've done something similar for the Velvets (not that there were ever as many threads for them), and it seemed to have worked.

nicfit 07.02.2007 06:11 AM

NNCK worked too.

sarramkrop 07.02.2007 06:13 AM

Pavement, Nirvana, JAMC and MBV next, please. Ideally someone who knows the band well enough should take charge of the thread and stay there with their partners in crime.

pbradley 07.02.2007 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
How come no-one ever asks what is everyone's favourite Murph drumming performance? Or the favourite Mike Johnson bass riff?

Because everyone forgets about Murph and Johnson's bass riffs are really just J's bass riffs.

But you bring up a good point. I was blown away when I saw Murph drum on Yeah We Know. Fucking pounded the absolute shit out of his drumset.

king_buzzo 07.02.2007 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl


How come no-one ever asks what is everyone's favourite Murph drumming performance? Or the favourite Mike Johnson bass riff?


murph drumming- Wagon or Raisans
mike johnson bassline- quest (live UMass) or Get Me
lou bassline-in a jar, just like heaven (not realy his though)

there. And, please, dino haters, get the fuck out of this thread. You've posted a lot of shit about how you dont like them, so dont just ramble on in here. thank you.

Anyone ever heard the Upside Down Cross record that J drummed on?

And Witch is supposed to have a new album out by 2008.

and yeah, keeps this thread open to dino side project discussion as well.

nicfit 07.02.2007 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by king_buzzo
And, please, dino haters, get the fuck out of this thread. You've posted a lot of shit about how you dont like them, so dont just ramble on in here. thank you.

I'm not a "Dino hater" , and I promise I won't "interfere" further in this thread, I just wanted to point out how, coming from you, this is a laughable suggestion :rolleyes:. [/end of my presence in this thread]

finding nobody 07.02.2007 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
Or the favourite Mike Johnson bass riff?

I don't beleive in Mike Johnson
There is only Lou. Lou Barlow

Rob Instigator 07.02.2007 10:16 AM

dinosaur!!!!!!!!!

king_buzzo 07.02.2007 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicfit
I'm not a "Dino hater" , and I promise I won't "interfere" further in this thread, I just wanted to point out how, coming from you, this is a laughable suggestion :rolleyes:. [/end of my presence in this thread]


okay sure. whatever ya say.


Quote:

Originally Posted by finding nobody
I don't beleive in Mike Johnson
There is only Lou. Lou Barlow


yeah, hell yeah, Lou adds stage presence, talks a little bit, makes jokes and stuff, while Mike just plays in the back. He's an okay bass player though, as i said i love those bass lines for Quest when they played it live in UMass.

I love Mike Watts take on Little Fury Things though, that live version at that swedish festival its pretty awesome, when he just starts soloing.

hmm, while were at little fury things, how come its written 'fury' but J pronounces it as 'furry'? is it just a typo?

king_buzzo 07.02.2007 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
dinosaur!!!!!!!!!


whats J's favourite dinosaur?? i say triceratops!


edit: no actually, Triceratops' are more Lou. I'm guessing J loves a stegosaurus or a bronto saurus. Murph is T-Rex, ofcourse.

scott v 07.02.2007 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbradley
*opens up with a ridiculously long guitar solo*

Okay, so now that that is out of the way, let's keep all the Dino Jr talk here... for sanity's sake. Also this will give us the justification to attack any newcomer for their ignorance of this rather noodley thread. Sounds like fun, right? All I ask is that you inform them of this thread and encourage them to take whatever discussion here. This being said, I refuse to be held accountable if some twat makes a Dinosaur Jr thread anyways (were all looking at you, Buzzo :p). I'm just trying to help everyone out.

Also feel free to come in here and vent about how you don't get how people can like them, just don't be too big of a douche and remember that you can still easily avoid this thread.

Have I got the bases covered?

So I guess I'll start off the convo... Name your favorite J Mascis guitar solo. For me, "Don't." There's no fucking around there. Distortion, screaming, one long-ass psychedelic solo. Yes, I even love how it gets pathetic towards the end.


Trying to help everyone out?
who died and made you GOD???
why have a specific Dino Jr. thread on a SY forum, and rule out all others? other than both bands are mutual friends
but how does SY have any bearing about discussing J's best guitar solos?
couldn't this type of thing easily exist within one of the Dinosaur Jr. websites (i know chats exist there) if you find it so important to have a thread like this doesn't that make more logical sense?

btw, i ain't a newbie... so blast away bitches.
I'm certainly not against this "idea" but rather how its being "projected"...
i hate people who think they need to direct themselves to others like the above.

king_buzzo 07.02.2007 02:04 PM

why have a specific nnck thread on a sy forum? its non-sonic sounds, so yeah as long as its music, who the fuck cares. its like asking why have a band thread in the non sonic sounds which is pretty annoying. so yeah...

pbradley 07.02.2007 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott v
Trying to help everyone out?
who died and made you GOD???

What the fuck are you rambling about?
Quote:

Originally Posted by scott v
why have a specific Dino Jr. thread on a SY forum, and rule out all others? other than both bands are mutual friends

Because everyone here that aren't Dinosaur Jr fans are shitting bricks everytime a new one comes up. Not everyone is a fan. Like I said, I'm trying to help.
Quote:

Originally Posted by scott v
but how does SY have any bearing about discussing J's best guitar solos?

It doesn't, this is Non-Sonic Sounds. Are you sure you don't have some mental instability of some kind?
Quote:

Originally Posted by scott v
couldn't this type of thing easily exist within one of the Dinosaur Jr. websites (i know chats exist there) if you find it so important to have a thread like this doesn't that make more logical sense?

Couldn't that be said of every band that's discussed here other than Sonic Youth? Seems like it would defeat the purpose of this entire Non-Sonic Sounds subforum.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott v
btw, i ain't a newbie... so blast away bitches.
I'm certainly not against this "idea" but rather how its being "projected"...
i hate people who think they need to direct themselves to others like the above.

The air of superiority was more or less a joke. Thanks for catching that.

cryptowonderdruginvogue 07.03.2007 02:36 AM

word

pbradley 08.20.2007 03:10 AM

don't know if this has been posted before but here's david cross beating the shit out of J Mascis at Guitar Hero

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hE9qVni6rto

king_buzzo 08.20.2007 03:30 AM

I know!!! Its hillarious.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All content 2006 Sonic Youth