Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   if you could get guitar lessons from 3 guitarists, who would they be? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=13556)

fugazifan 05.31.2007 11:44 AM

if you could get guitar lessons from 3 guitarists, who would they be?

for me its:
john fahey
derek bailey
then probably either marc ribot or nels cline
and i know that two have passed away, but think about if they were alive...
i would say thurston or lee buit their style is much easier to emulate than the others that i mentioned...

Torn Curtain 05.31.2007 11:46 AM

Johnny Marr
Lee Underwood
Nick Drake

max 05.31.2007 12:19 PM

Tommy Vetterli
Geordie Walker
Adrian Belew

and I don't think you get to go studying guitar just to emulate anything at all. you get there to understand, expand your mind on different possibilities.

[iorxhscimtor] 05.31.2007 12:23 PM

Derek Bailey
Lee Ranaldo
Joe Pass

lungfish 05.31.2007 12:32 PM

Victor Villareal
Jimi Hendrix
Bert Jansch

and

"and I don't think you get to go studying guitar just to emulate anything at all. you get there to understand, expand your mind on different possibilities."

exactly.

youthoftomorrow 05.31.2007 01:08 PM

Greg Ginn
Lee Ranaldo
Tony Iommi

Spiritual Amnesia 05.31.2007 01:12 PM

Glenn Branca
Jimi Hendrix
Lee / Jim

fugazifan 05.31.2007 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by max
Tommy Vetterli
Geordie Walker
Adrian Belew

and I don't think you get to go studying guitar just to emulate anything at all. you get there to understand, expand your mind on different possibilities.

oh i agree, what i meant is i think i could learn a lot more from those on the list, while from thursston and lee, less...

DJ Rick 05.31.2007 01:32 PM

Greg Sage of the Wipers

Grady Runyan of Monoshock, Liquorball, Bad Trips

Munehiro Narita of High Rise

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 05.31.2007 01:56 PM

Nobody that I'd end up talking to more than playing with.

Bicorn Halfelven 05.31.2007 01:58 PM

Wata
Wata
Wata

sonicl 05.31.2007 02:04 PM

Loren Connors
Ry Cooder
Kid Congo Powers

Savage Clone 05.31.2007 03:14 PM

Paul Metzger
Bert Jansch
Haino

Bicorn Halfelven 05.31.2007 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Paul Metzger

I had the pleasure of seeing Paul open for Gang Gang Dance at the Walker in the McGuire Theater... mindblowing.

Savage Clone 05.31.2007 03:21 PM

I wrote the liner notes for his first album.
Number one Metzger nerdboy over here.
That GGD opener set was insanely good.

hat and beard 05.31.2007 03:33 PM

offf topic
Mr. Clone: Are there any Metzger disks you deem particularly recommendable? I have the Chasney/Corsano + Metzger thing and like the Metzger side quite alot. Is his banjo stuff similar at all?

Savage Clone 05.31.2007 03:41 PM

The "Three Improvisations on Modified Banjo" CD or "Four Improvisations On Modified Banjo and Guitar" 2xLP (same thing with one bonus side of modified guitar goodness) are similar, but emphasize a more fluid and inhumanly skilled raga influence. A bit of Asian influence on one piece as well. Not quite as "jagged" as the guitar stuff, but similar in certain ways, especially the influence of North Indian stylistic leanings. The banjo stuff is still super-extended timewise, but a bit easier listen to people not normally into the "way-out shit." It's still pretty way-out though.
The debut LP on Mutant Music has one side of fluid modified guitar and one side of jagged angular improv on that same instrument.
He also has a new cassette out on Freedom From called "Maccaferri," which is all recorded on a Maccaferri plastic guitar, bookended by pieces from an automatic instrument he has made with many many music boxes, all of which have been altered somehow. The guitar pieces on the tape are severe deconstructions of Monk's "Bemsha Swing."

I would start from the banjo one though; that one is really amazing and shows Metzger at the peak of his powers, plus it sounds incredible. Recorded at Sacred Heart in Duluth, with all-natural reverb.

EDIT:
Sound samples from the new cassette and upcoming banjo LP on Roaratorio here:
http://paulmetzger.net/

hat and beard 05.31.2007 04:12 PM

ever so helpful. thanks.

Toxa 05.31.2007 04:15 PM

Nels Cline
Thurston Moore
Page Hamilton

Rob Instigator 05.31.2007 04:21 PM

neil young
lee ranaldo