Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Songs about/that mention jukeboxes (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=116514)

Drjohnrock 01.14.2018 01:27 AM

Songs about/that mention jukeboxes
 
The Kinks - Jukebox Music
Glenn Miller Orchestra - Jukebox Saturday Night
Root Boy Slim & The Sex Change Band with the Rootettes - Boogie 'Til Ya Puke
("Put a quarter in the juke/boogie 'til ya puke")
Nick Lowe - I Knew The Bride (When She Used To Rock 'N' Roll) ("stuffin' all
her money in the record machine")
Chuck Berry - School Days ("Drop the coin right into the slot/you've gotta hear something that's really hot")
???? - When I'm Under The Table I'll Be Over You ("Well I'm sure glad that drunk finally ran out of dimes/'cause he just played 'Proud Mary' for the seventeenth time")
James Taylor - Hey Mister That's Me Up On The Jukebox

The Taylor song is one of his better efforts. He sounds cynical about his sensitive singer-songwriter image ("Well I'll cry every time/that you slip in one more dime")

I don't know the ???? arist--it was a song that was played on country stations years ago before all of the "bro country" bullshit.

Any others?

_tunic_ 01.14.2018 08:14 AM

Radar Love popped up in my head. But it's a radio not a jukebox
Quote:

And the line of cars drove down real slow
And the radio played that forgotten song
Brenda Lee's comin' on strong
And the newsman sang his same song
Oh one more radar lover gone


evollove 01.14.2018 08:33 AM

"I love rock n roll." Joan jet. Maybe "I love rocky road" by weird Al. I'd have to look it up.

h8kurdt 01.14.2018 11:47 AM

For some reason the title "Jukebox Junkie" came up in my head and the thing exists! It's song by Ken Mellons who I've never heard of in my life.

LifeDistortion 01.14.2018 02:11 PM

Chuck Berry- Roll Over Beethoven
Radiohead- Burn the Witch
Roy Orbison Here Comes That Song Again
Jim Reeves-He'll Have to Go (a ton of musicians have covered this song)
The Raveonettes- Love in a Trashcan
Robert Mitchum- Little Ole Wine Drinker Me
ACDC- Shot Down in Flames

Severian 01.14.2018 02:15 PM

“Jukebox Hero” by Foreigner wasn’t the absolute first thing on everyone’s mind?

Weird.

Anyway, there’s that, and:
“Rebellious Jukebox” by the Fall
“Wurlitzer Jukebox” by Young Marble Giants
“Jukebox Joints” by A$AP Rocky
“Jukebox” by Ani Difranco (you didn’t say they had to be good, did you?)
“Jukebox in my Mind” by Alabama (again with the no quality requirements)
“Bullying the Jukebox” by Bouncing Souls
“Jukebox of Steel” by Son Volt
“Suffering Jukebox” by the Silver Jews
“Charmaine Champaign” by Fiery Furnaces

About/in the lyrics:
“Train of Love” by the Pogues (in the lyrics, not the title, obviously)
“Lonely old Lies” by Neko Case
“Burn the With” by Radiohead
“Quarters” by Wilco
“Roll over Beethoven” by ... shit, like... Duane Eddy or Jerry Lee Lewis or something. Let’s just say Beatles.

And there’s probably hundreds of others lurking around in my consciousness that I can’t immediately access, and thousands of others on the Google.

Drjohnrock 01.14.2018 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
“Jukebox Hero” by Foreigner wasn’t the absolute first thing on everyone’s mind?

“Jukebox” by Ani Difranco (you didn’t say they had to be good, did you?)
“Jukebox in my Mind” by Alabama (again with the no quality requirements)

“Roll over Beethoven” by ... shit, like... Duane Eddy or Jerry Lee Lewis or something. Let’s just say Beatles.



I certainly thought of the Foreigner tune before I started this thread. I decided to give someone else the dubious honor of mentioning it.

I imposed no quality requirement. If nothing else, that avoids any arguments about what songs are divine and what ones are dogshit.

As for Roll Over Beethoven, check the post just before yours.

Drjohnrock 01.14.2018 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
Robert Mitchum- Little Ole Wine Drinker Me




Very good spot. A local radio station where I grew up played Dean Martin's version of this song a lot.

Severian 01.14.2018 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drjohnrock
I certainly thought of the Foreigner tune before I started this thread. I decided to give someone else the dubious honor of mentioning it.

I imposed no quality requirement. If nothing else, that avoids any arguments about what songs are divine and what ones are dogshit.

As for Roll Over Beethoven, check the post just before yours.


Bah! Chuck Berry! Of course!! I should have bloody well known that.

Screaming Skull 01.16.2018 02:32 PM

“Danny’s All Star Joint” by Rickie Lee Jones

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9JkT3p6H4Ws

Classic tune.

The Soup Nazi 01.16.2018 06:31 PM

 


Dave Edmunds — "A1 On The Jukebox" ("...and nowheeeere on the charts...")

Screaming Skull 01.17.2018 12:24 PM

How about a song about a juke joint?

You can't depend on anything really
There's no promises there's no point
There's no good there's no bad
In this dirty little joint
No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock
Rosedale Mississippi Magic City Juke Joint
Mr Johnson sings over in a corner by the bar
Sold his soul to the devil so he can play guitar
Too cool to be forgotten
Hey hey too cool to be for gotten
Man running through the grass outside
Says he wants to take up serpents
Says he will drink the deadly thing
And it will not hurt him
House rule no exceptions
No bad language no gambling no fighting
Sorry no credit don't ask
Bathroom wall reads is God the answer YES
Too cool to be forgotten
Hey hey too cool to be forgotten
June bug vs hurricane
June bug vs hurricane
Hey hey
I had a lover
I thought he was mine
Thought I'd always be his valentine
Leaning agianst the railing of a Lake Charles bridge
Overlooking the river leaning over the edge
He asked me baby would you jump into the water with me
I told him no way baby that's your own death you see
Too cool to be forgotten
Hey hey too cool to be forgotten
June bug vs hurricane
June bug vs hurricane
Hey hey

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WLmL8dU9mg0

Rob Instigator 01.18.2018 10:56 AM

Rock This Town - Stray Cats

Well, we found a little place that really didn't look half bad
I had a whisky on the rocks
And change of a dollar for the jukebox
Well, I put the coin right into that can
But all they played was disco, man
Come on, baby, baby, let's get out of here right away

The Soup Nazi 01.18.2018 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Screaming Skull
How about a song about a juke joint?

You can't depend on anything really
There's no promises there's no point
There's no good there's no bad
In this dirty little joint
No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock
Rosedale Mississippi Magic City Juke Joint
Mr Johnson sings over in a corner by the bar
Sold his soul to the devil so he can play guitar
Too cool to be forgotten
Hey hey too cool to be for gotten
Man running through the grass outside
Says he wants to take up serpents
Says he will drink the deadly thing
And it will not hurt him
House rule no exceptions
No bad language no gambling no fighting
Sorry no credit don't ask
Bathroom wall reads is God the answer YES
Too cool to be forgotten
Hey hey too cool to be forgotten
June bug vs hurricane
June bug vs hurricane
Hey hey
I had a lover
I thought he was mine
Thought I'd always be his valentine
Leaning agianst the railing of a Lake Charles bridge
Overlooking the river leaning over the edge
He asked me baby would you jump into the water with me
I told him no way baby that's your own death you see
Too cool to be forgotten
Hey hey too cool to be forgotten
June bug vs hurricane
June bug vs hurricane
Hey hey

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WLmL8dU9mg0


Masterpiece. The song, the whole album, the woman.

Toilet & Bowels 01.19.2018 03:59 PM

Alan Vega - Jukebox Babe


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All content ©2006 Sonic Youth