Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   NEGATIVELAND - We Are Still Looping Along (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=116242)

Bytor Peltor 11.26.2017 01:55 AM

NEGATIVELAND - We Are Still Looping Along

I realize my “search” skills are not the best......is it possible SYG doesn’t have a Negativeland thread?

Mark Hosler appeared on, Mid-Valley Mutations yesterday. The interview was done in the classic chopped & blended Negativeland style......well worth the listen!

Mark mentioned having all the deceased members ashes which reminded me......what did I do with Don Joyce’s ashes? Believe I have the baggie in a bank bag......in my flood damaged home. By the way, Mark keeps about a fist fool of Don’s ashes in a Frappuccino bottle.

Dale Embry Was Formerly A Homosexual Squirrel

Bytor Peltor 12.03.2017 06:54 PM

Negativland November was extended to Friday, December 1st, when Wobbly aka Jon Leidecker appeared on Mid-Valley Mutations for a interview.

Jon’s new album / project: Moebius Story Leidecker was released in October 2017.

Severian 12.03.2017 09:15 PM

Watched a fascinating documentary about them a few years ago, and I swore I made a thread after I saw it, but maybe not.

SYG definitely needs a Negativeland thread.

greenlight 12.04.2017 01:43 AM

thanks for the link. I will check it out. I have heard so much about Negativeland, but I have never checked them out. its about the time. I feel I am missing something here.

Severian 12.04.2017 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenlight
thanks for the link. I will check it out. I have heard so much about Negativeland, but I have never checked them out. its about the time. I feel I am missing something here.

Oh man. Get ready for a trip. Unique presence in music, for sure. The truest example of a mutimedia band I can think of.

Check out “A Big 10-8 Place.” Good place to start.

greenlight 12.05.2017 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Oh man. Get ready for a trip. Unique presence in music, for sure. The truest example of a mutimedia band I can think of.

Check out “A Big 10-8 Place.” Good place to start.

thanks for a suggestion. I will def. check them out this wknd. so is it like sample/loops/collage of cut up sounds stuff?

Bytor Peltor 12.05.2017 05:17 AM

Quote:

thanks for a suggestion. I will def. check them out this wknd. so is it like sample/loops/collage of cut up sounds stuff?

While the enterviews above cover a good deal of the “original” Negativeland, Wobbly made it clear that when he joined the group, Don Joyce decided that Negativeland would no longer use old source sounds......they would now only use newly acquired material.

While I appreciate the approach Negativland uses to capture, sample and record source material, much of their stuff is hit and miss with me. The more whimsical and gimmicky looney tune sounds is fine in short burst……like on a mixtape, but I’m just not disciplined enough to listen to that for 40-minutes to an hour.

Deathsentences of the Polished and Structurally Weak, released in 2002, is one of their most important releases. Mostly soundscapes to Accompany the booklet that is included with it.

Free, released in 1993, was the bands first effort to record a CD......not an album with a Side A and Side B. The opening track, Freedom’s Waiting, features Steve Fisk, who produced: Nirvana, Screaming Trees and Soundgarden.

Lastly, Dispepsi and Escape From Noise are worth your attention when time allows.

Severian 12.05.2017 05:59 PM

Quote:

Some sampling but not all depending on the era of the band. New noise and sound generation replaced crate-digging (for lack of a better term) at some point, though I’m not sure precisely when.

greenlight 12.06.2017 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
While the enterviews above cover a good deal of the “original” Negativeland, Wobbly made it clear that when he joined the group, Don Joyce decided that Negativeland would no longer use old source sounds......they would now only use newly acquired material.

While I appreciate the approach Negativland uses to capture, sample and record source material, much of their stuff is hit and miss with me. The more whimsical and gimmicky looney tune sounds is fine in short burst……like on a mixtape, but I’m just not disciplined enough to listen to that for 40-minutes to an hour.

Deathsentences of the Polished and Structurally Weak, released in 2002, is one of their most important releases. Mostly soundscapes to Accompany the booklet that is included with it.

Free, released in 1993, was the bands first effort to record a CD......not an album with a Side A and Side B. The opening track, Freedom’s Waiting, features Steve Fisk, who produced: Nirvana, Screaming Trees and Soundgarden.

Lastly, Dispepsi and Escape From Noise are worth your attention when time allows.

thanks for da suggestions. will definitely check those mentioned.

Bytor Peltor 12.23.2017 09:43 AM

Quote:

btw I listened to Negativeland´s Escape From Noise. I was not blown away by it. it is good, the idea is very nice, soundbites or samples are mixed, cut and poduced very professionally. I love (I would call it) "radio techniques programming" stuff. I was just missing something that would attract me.

To further this discussion and not hijack the “most anticipated 2018” thread, I figured it best to post my reply here.

Escape From Noise is one Negativeland release I can stomach in longer doses.

Since starting this thread, Vicki Bennett, of, People Like Us, who host, DO/DIY On WFMU tells a story about her meeting, Mark Hosler.

In the late 80’s, Vicki was living in, Brighton and there was a knock at her door. Mark Hosler, who was on holiday, asked a hippie in town where the “weird music people” lived. Mark was looking for the person who had sampled one of his bands (Negativland) songs......that person was, Genesis P-Orridge. Vicki invited Mark in, he stayed for dinner and before leaving, Mark gives Vicki his new cassette: Eascape From Noise

A few years later, Vicki Bennett met, Don Joyce and would appear / make contributions over the telephone from Brighton, England, LIVE as the radio show was airing: Baby Makes Three is a brief glimpse into one of Don’s shows.

Genesis Breyer P-Orridge Diagnosed With Leukemia

greenlight 12.27.2017 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
To further this discussion and not hijack the “most anticipated 2018” thread, I figured it best to post my reply here.

Escape From Noise is one Negativeland release I can stomach in longer doses.

Since starting this thread, Vicki Bennett, of, People Like Us, who host, DO/DIY On WFMU tells a story about her meeting, Mark Hosler.

In the late 80’s, Vicki was living in, Brighton and there was a knock at her door. Mark Hosler, who was on holiday, asked a hippie in town where the “weird music people” lived. Mark was looking for the person who had sampled one of his bands (Negativland) songs......that person was, Genesis P-Orridge. Vicki invited Mark in, he stayed for dinner and before leaving, Mark gives Vicki his new cassette: Eascape From Noise

A few years later, Vicki Bennett met, Don Joyce and would appear / make contributions over the telephone from Brighton, England, LIVE as the radio show was airing: Baby Makes Three is a brief glimpse into one of Don’s shows.

Genesis Breyer P-Orridge Diagnosed With Leukemia

cool story!
oh, so it is her who host do/diy on wfmu.
cheers for the links!

radio is a magik.

I will delve more into it.