Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   ONe thing i Don't Understand! (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=1127)

Laila 04.21.2006 07:46 AM

ONe thing i Don't Understand!

how come Nirvana's nevermind and inutero did so good, but incesticide got no attention from the mainstream? i mean, there are sooo many good songs on incesticide! didn't incesticide get released after nevermind? right? i love incesticide! it's great!

Inhuman 04.21.2006 07:57 AM

They didn't finance Incesticide as much because it wasn't a cash movement, but more for the band's credibility, so it didn't hit the mainstream as hard

candymoan 04.21.2006 08:12 AM

incesticide did not have radio friendly songs..
great album, but not about mainstream, more the entire transition from bleach to nevermind..

nirvana did not have sales figures as motivation for an album.. they had beautiful melodies, and noise angst at the same time.. shallow pop lovers chose to embrace the melodies, and disregard the rest.. incesticide suffered from that...

rocky 04.21.2006 08:13 AM

incesticide has weird "staying power" tho', it's such a surprise when you first hear it; to find how many odds and ends are really worth hearing - way better than the boxed set to showcase kurt/krist's spectrum of generalized insanity, edge, ingenuity. having sliver and Big Long Now on the same release achieves quite an effect ;)

umjammer atomsk 04.21.2006 08:21 AM

Because the mainstream is retarded, y'know.

Inhuman 04.21.2006 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by umjammer atomsk

Well it could be good. There's tonnes of good mainstream bands, but for the most part, the media gives exposure to artists where they'll make money, and all these whiney teenagers like bands such as Avenged Sevenfold, Fall Out Boy, Atreyu, Alexisonfire, etc... so that's what craps up the mainstream.

Laila 04.21.2006 09:41 AM

yeah but it's kinda weird how it just jumped from nevermind to inutero. no one ever talks about incesticide being in there in the middle. soo weird. i like incesticide better than nevermind

Inhuman 04.21.2006 09:47 AM

I like nevermind better, but then again I haven't even heard half the tracks on Incesticide, so I really couldn't say. Nirvana's one of my fav's though ^_^. Downer's a really good song though!

Danny Himself 04.21.2006 10:22 AM

I never really thought of Incesticide as being a real album. It's more like a transistional record with some B Sides and stuff.

Anngella 04.21.2006 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by umjammer atomsk

How dare you insult the mentally retarded by equating them with the mainstream!

fishmonkey 04.21.2006 10:38 AM

it was only really a B-sides album, them types of albums dont really got much promotion, i know what you mean though, i fuckin love incestcide

candymoan 04.21.2006 11:31 AM

i love incesticide..
and i love nevermind and in utero..
i admire bleach too..

nirvana was basically a counter-culture indie band that never meant to appeal to the mainstream..

but thanks to MTV and the rest of the money making machine, they spiralled out of control, and became the next big thing..

i think it was kurt's intention to show his musical reaction with incesticide - he didn't want to be a pop star, sharing the limelight with mc hammer and what have you.. so, they compiled the rarities and b-sides and their best screaming..
the mainstream would ignore it..

after they did the unplugged thing, citizens of earth chose to remember them as a semi-hippie acustic band..

the fans still relate to incestide..
that is the legacy..

Anngella 04.21.2006 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishmonkey
it was only really a B-sides album, them types of albums dont really got much promotion, i know what you mean though, i fuckin love incestcide

THOSE THOSE THOSE THOSE THOSE.

Those is plural, them is singular.

Yes, I am the grammar police.

HaydenAsche 04.21.2006 11:36 AM

Basically Incesticide was the best shit Nirvana ever released. Denying it is just unintelligent. It didn't get picked up by the mainstream because it wasn't a cash cow.

Inhuman 04.21.2006 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anngella
THOSE THOSE THOSE THOSE THOSE.

Those is plural, them is singular.

Yes, I am the grammar police.

hahaha, I use them all the time as a joke, it pisses my business writing teacher of sooo much. Look at all them posts, hmm?

Laila 04.21.2006 11:58 AM

what's your fav song off of incesticide?
mine is aero zeppelin

Anngella 04.21.2006 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inhuman
hahaha, I use them all the time as a joke, it pisses my business writing teacher of sooo much. Look at all them posts, hmm?

Ah, alright.
Still bugs me though.
Oh well.

And a word of advice: never piss off English teachers

h8kurdt 04.21.2006 01:00 PM

Big Long Now (Love to have seen this live if they could have been arsed with playing it) or Dive.

krastian 04.21.2006 02:20 PM

It's all about ANEURYSM. I just listened to Incesticide for the first time in years when I was drinking with some buddies a few weeks ago. It was fucking great.

Rob Instigator 04.21.2006 02:52 PM

angella is right dude.
mentally retarted people do not need to be scorned any further by comparing them to the assloving mainstream