Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   I don't like the records I like. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=11267)

demonrail666 03.13.2007 08:56 AM

I don't like the records I like.

I've ripped that quote from John Peel, but it's increasingly how I feel. There was a time when I so rarely bought old records but increasingly that's exclusively where I turn.

Even the decent stuff coming out at the moment seems so one dimensional. It's like a band starts out with a single OK idea but doesn't have the imagination to really take it anywhere. (No Neck being one of the very few exceptions)

Musicians (including myself) now spend more time worrying about gear than they do actually making music. Bands now seem more interested in comissioning a cool video to get them onto MTV2 120 Minutes than they are in writing something that'll see them beyond their 15 minutes of fame.

'Alternative' music needs a new punk, desperately. And I never thought I'd EVER say that.

End of a rather stoned rant.

atsonicpark 03.13.2007 09:17 AM

Seems like someone posted someting identical to this post recently, but yeah...

You'll likely get burnt out on music often. So, take a break from it and watch movies or read books or MAKE music... then come back to listening.

auto-aim 03.13.2007 09:21 AM

I like radiohead, but it's probably true that they're not healty for the music scene in general... I mean Coldplay, Keane *shudder...

honestly though - a new punk isn't coming. Not until there is some real and unified disatification and need for something more - but the fact is we're sitting at our compters beating off on this message board to quench it. Everybody I see only cares about themselves... and I think it's such an overload and commercial culture that I can't blame them to give into advertising and image - and certainly most people here are probably a total stereotype. But you know, maybe we're just getting old.

demonrail666 03.13.2007 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by auto-aim
maybe we're just getting old.

I know that I am. :) And an aging Keef obsessive is not what the times call for, I'm sure of that.

But seriously, this decade's gonna be up in three years time and musically I can't think of much to distinguish it. The Noughties have so far been just that.

sonicl 03.13.2007 09:26 AM

All the current underground music scenes are too uncommercial to cause a revolution. Punk had something marketable, I see nothing that PR man is going to find interesting in a drone, noise or post-rock band.

And all the marketable bands are third-rate rehashes of something that has been happening for the last twenty-odd years.

demonrail666 03.13.2007 09:33 AM

I do instinctively think of progress in music as something that at least aspires to altering the mainstream, which probably demonstrates my own naivety.

Rob Instigator 03.13.2007 09:36 AM

the new punk has been here and they call it reggaeton.

ha! it is true!.)

sonicl 03.13.2007 09:39 AM

You make me think of clothing designers parading stuff on the catwalk that no-one would buy in a million years and justifying it by saying that some elements of it will trickle down to the High Street. (That's not meant as the start of a argument, by the way. It was just a thought that came to mind)

The musical trickle-down effect: Post-rock has begat Snow Patrol. There's a bloody good Mogwai song hidden inside that "Chasing Cars".

demonrail666 03.13.2007 10:29 AM

Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying that in order to be good, music needs to aspire to the mainstream, it's just that a vast majority of the bands I admire seem(ed) to conceive of themselves as at least a challenge to it.

HECKLER SPRAY 03.13.2007 10:38 AM

Even great bands want to be heard by more people, it's not a shame. But many of them prostitute themselves to reach this aim.

demonrail666 03.13.2007 11:39 AM

A band wanting to be heard by lots of people is natural (otherwise they would've never left the rehearsal room), but altering what they do to cater to other people's tastes: that's where the problems start.

auto-aim 03.13.2007 12:14 PM

Not if you dont have standard in the first place.

the ikara cult 03.13.2007 12:27 PM

I bought a Bruce Willis 12 inch today. Like that? I do.

demonrail666 03.13.2007 01:27 PM

Altering out of your own development works but not to suit the whims of others. Doing that, you're sacrificing your own standards for somebody else's.

Trasher02 03.13.2007 01:33 PM

I think that noise is kind of becoming the new punk.
It's getting quite popular. Ok not that everyone is going to listen to noise but you keep seeing more and more noise bands coming up from around the globe which wasn't the case a few years back.

Everyneurotic 03.13.2007 01:48 PM

my friend compared getting tired of music with getting tired of sex; that you need to do role play and crap to keep sex interesting.

demonrail666 03.13.2007 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
my friend compared getting tired of music with getting tired of sex; that you need to do role play and crap to keep sex interesting.

Interesting. Maybe I should wear some stockings next time I listen to a CD.

demonrail666 03.13.2007 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serpiente
Never.

I remember that sometimes I used to think that music was boring me, but that wasn't true. It was the type/genre/style or whatever you want to call it that was boring me, that's how I started listening to classical music. Now I try to listen every type of music I can, it's really interesting and you never get bored....just enjoy the music.

To the dude who started this thread: gooo try and listen Music....not only music.

Don't get me wrong, Im not bored with music at all. I'm just bored with so much of what's coming out at the moment.

sarramkrop 03.13.2007 03:58 PM

Most music that comes out at the moment is rubbish and i would know that because i listen to as much of it as i can.

screamingskull 03.13.2007 04:23 PM

"I don't like the records I like"

For me there are records i just can't listen to because they are too sad, Ive thought about getting rid of them, but i haven't. I love them so so so much, so much that it kills me, but i can't listen to them.