Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Question for Experimental Jet Set, Trash, and No Star Lovers (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=112324)

jframe 09.10.2015 10:42 PM

Question for Experimental Jet Set, Trash, and No Star Lovers
 
Please disregard this thread if you are not absolutely in love with Experimental Jet Set, Trash, and No Star.

When I was a teenager my sister somehow got a hold of this album and when she played it, it absolutely blew me away.

A year or so ago I decided that my life would obviously be better if I added some more Sonic Youth to it. So I picked up two albums: Daydream Nation and Dirty.

However, after listening numerous times to ensure I've given them a decent chance, I didn't like a damn song on either of those albums.

So that brings me here, to ask you for your help. Where can I find the magic of Experimental Jet Set, Trash, and No Star? Does that magic exist on any of the other Sonic Youth albums, or did Sonic Youth just decide to cram it all on that particular album?

Thanks!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 09.10.2015 11:07 PM

You're trolling us right? A thread about the universally least liked SY album and saying you didn't like a single song from one of the universally recognized best SY albums and another definitely great one? ill admit that recently i reassessed EJSTNS and i realized its better than i ever thought, i almost ranked it above Goo once.... but really??

jframe 09.10.2015 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
You're trolling us right? A thread about the universally least liked SY album and saying you didn't like a single song from one of the universally recognized best SY albums and another definitely great one? ill admit that recently i reassessed EJSTNS and i realized its better than i ever thought, i almost ranked it above Goo once.... but really??


Thanks for the feedback but I'd prefer to hear from someone with (apparently oddball) tastes more similar to my own.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 09.11.2015 12:24 AM

 

Toilet & Bowels 09.11.2015 02:17 AM

You might find something of interest on Washing Machine or maybe Made in USA but ExpJetSet's style is kind of unique in the SY catalogue. I love ExpJetSet, and think it gets an unfair rap, it's a beautiful and unusual record. Rather Ripped is clearly SY's worst album, and by a long way.

Toilet & Bowels 09.11.2015 02:28 AM

Also maybe their self titled album (as in check it out, it's awesome and also kind of different to SY's other stuff)

Mortte Jousimo 09.11.2015 06:59 AM

Well, I love both experimental & RR even Experimental is the least favourite also to me. I think you should try GOO, RR & Eternal because along with experimental, DDN & Dirty theyīre most straightforward SY-records. But of course itīs possible you donīt like those too.

Mortte Jousimo 09.11.2015 07:04 AM

Well, Nurse also didnīt have much more experimentalism as experimental. And of course Sister rocks as hell!

Chris Lawrence 09.11.2015 11:26 AM

Try Thurston's Psychic Hearts album from the same era/studio.

greenlight 09.11.2015 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jframe
Please disregard this thread if you are not absolutely in love with Experimental Jet Set, Trash, and No Star.

When I was a teenager my sister somehow got a hold of this album and when she played it, it absolutely blew me away.

A year or so ago I decided that my life would obviously be better if I added some more Sonic Youth to it. So I picked up two albums: Daydream Nation and Dirty.

However, after listening numerous times to ensure I've given them a decent chance, I didn't like a damn song on either of those albums.

So that brings me here, to ask you for your help. Where can I find the magic of Experimental Jet Set, Trash, and No Star? Does that magic exist on any of the other Sonic Youth albums, or did Sonic Youth just decide to cram it all on that particular album?

Thanks!


do you have EJSTANS demos?
+ this
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
Try Thurston's Psychic Hearts album from the same era/studio.


Rob Instigator 09.11.2015 02:49 PM

It takes all kinds.....

Toilet & Bowels 09.11.2015 04:36 PM

See what you think of these songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpH-LVah8Sk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r66hAbGi0ys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWpbFoEUV24

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuRYoBEOMHI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXRTZwiazK8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azmC-g4eiC4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E881lSVEpc4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja2zGbz85hE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQvf5NQY7l8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2N7gBXfykU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU0IiziwvAA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_mN6_PRC1M

Toilet & Bowels 09.11.2015 06:18 PM

Psychic Hearts sounds like one third of an SY album

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 09.11.2015 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepper_green
Rather Ripped is also a killer album. fuck 'em. if it came out in the late 80's people would love it. cliché saying, I know. it's not them evolving or going backwards, it's just SY. sweet sliding grooves on that one too.

highlights: Jams Run Free, Pink Steam. c'mon.

Rather Ripped is a kick ass record and fun tour

Mortte Jousimo 09.12.2015 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepper_green
Psychic Hearts is not a bad album. it's got some good grooves on there.

Yea, Psychic is ok album.

Toilet & Bowels 09.12.2015 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepper_green
btw,

with all the other great tracks you posted, did you forget to add "Sympathy for the Strawberry" by accident or something?:p

no harm!,............ just saying everyone should check out this track too.


No I didn't forget it, I thought about including it but then decided it might be a bit jammy and sprawling considering (what I imagine to be) the OPs tastes.

Toilet & Bowels 09.12.2015 07:27 PM

Psychic Hearts isn't that bad, it just isn't that good either

Mortte Jousimo 09.13.2015 01:53 AM

Well, I think like Chris if someone likes Experimental, he might like Psychic even itīs not as great as Experimental. Also if one likes the sounds of Experimental, he might like Sister because they are made in the same studio and have quite same sounds (RR also, but I think itīs sounds are more modern).

The songs you Toilet put here are of course really great, but many of them have quite different vibes as in Experimental.

hirsute_biped 09.13.2015 11:12 AM

Maybe NYC Ghosts & Flowers, as it is also a strange detour of an album like Jet Set is, though it is very different from Jet Set.

selkcip 09.13.2015 06:11 PM

exp jet set is one of my favorites as well.. i would suggest washing machine and a thousand leaves, though neither of those albums are so packed with details as EJSTNS is.. the songs are more long-form, but there are similar vibes here and there. check "no queen blues," "saucer like," and the title track from washing machine.

a thousand leaves is possibly 'softer', but it contains a lot of raw, weird and delicate elements.. it's a beautiful, inconsistent recording. there's variety to it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth