Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Nick Cave's son Arthur dies in Brighton cliff fall (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=112074)

_tunic_ 07.15.2015 07:25 AM

Nick Cave's son Arthur dies in Brighton cliff fall
 
Nick Cave's son Arthur dies in Brighton cliff fall



Quote:

The 15-year-old son of musician Nick Cave has died after a fall from a cliff in Brighton, Sussex Police said.
Arthur Cave was found with life-threatening injuries on the underpass of Ovingdean Gap at 18:00 BST on Tuesday.
He was taken to the Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton, but died later from his injuries.
His death is not being treated as suspicious, and the coroner is investigating, police said.
In a family statement, Nick and Susie Cave said: "Our son Arthur died on Tuesday evening. He was our beautiful, happy loving boy.
"We ask that we be given the privacy our family needs to grieve at this difficult time."
Nick Cave, an Australian musician and songwriter, is best known as the singer of the band Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds.


evollove 07.15.2015 08:02 AM

What an awful thing to happen to anyone.

Will this feed Cave's art or destroy it? If feed, I can't see a "Tears in Heaven" coming from him. No, if he does ever write about this, I'm guessing it'll be something to break any beating heart.

Mortte Jousimo 07.15.2015 12:58 PM

Really sad thing.

As knowing Cave´s person I don´t believe this will affect on Cave´s art in any conscious way. And he´s anyway handling death in many ways through his career.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 07.15.2015 01:13 PM

Lord have His mercy!
I surely pray we don't find out he jumped to add to the tragedy of it all..

Keeping It Gimple 07.15.2015 01:38 PM

poor nick caves art think of the art what will happen to the art hopefully its good this human died to make the art better

Genteel Death 07.15.2015 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keeping It Gimple
poor nick caves art think of the art what will happen to the art hopefully its good this human died to make the art better


Precisely. Last thing I'm sure he's thinking about right now.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 07.15.2015 01:49 PM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Genteel Death again.

h8kurdt 07.15.2015 01:57 PM

Man, that's heartbreaking. It's one thing I wouldn't wish on my own worst enemy.

evollove 07.15.2015 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Precisely. Last thing I'm sure he's thinking about right now.


Well, neither of us know for sure, but I seriously doubt it's the last thing.

I'm not being callous; merely recognizing the callous, carnivorous nature that controls true artists. I don't expect everyone to get it.

Toilet & Bowels 07.15.2015 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
I'm not being callous; merely recognizing the callous, carnivorous nature that controls true artists. I don't expect everyone to get it.


Oh, so if I stop eating vegetables and act like a jerk I'll get better at drawing? Thanks dude!

Genteel Death 07.15.2015 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
Well, neither of us know for sure, but I seriously doubt it's the last thing.

I'm not being callous; merely recognizing the callous, carnivorous nature that controls true artists. I don't expect everyone to get it.

I gave you the benefit of doubt because you generally come across as a mature and thoughtful person in your posts. I didn't realise you were actually serious with your comment.

evollove 07.15.2015 02:47 PM

Alright. We're not communicating very well. To some of you, I seem like a monster. To me, some of you seem very, very naive.

In the next few days, I strongly suspect Nick will pull out a notebook and write a few thousand words and there's nothing wrong with that, nor is there anything wrong with wondering aloud how he will shape the material life has given him into art (not a piece of commerce), which is something he's always done with every other major life experience he's had.

I'll agree it's not normal behavior. But again, and finally, I don't expect everyone to get it.

Keeping It Gimple 07.15.2015 02:50 PM

noone thinks you are a monster

its really the cliffs fault when u think about it

Genteel Death 07.15.2015 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
Alright. We're not communicating very well. To some of you, I seem like a monster. To me, some of you seem very, very naive.

In the next few days, I strongly suspect Nick will pull out a notebook and write a few thousand words and there's nothing wrong with that, nor is there anything wrong with wondering aloud how he will shape the material life has given him into art (not a piece of commerce), which is something he's always done with every other major life experience he's had.

I'll agree it's not normal behavior. But again, and finally, I don't expect everyone to get it.

You've been listening to the Smiths again recently, haven't you?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 07.15.2015 02:57 PM

evollove.. no one is thinking you're a monster so much as that your comments were in poor taste and bad timing.. I'm pretty sure that art and poetry are the furthest thing from Nick Cave's thoughts right now, and sure, you're right, in the future he will probably find ways to express his grief through his art, but in the immediate future we're not concerned about the impact that this on the artist so much as the human

evollove 07.15.2015 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
You've been listening to the Smiths again recently, haven't you?


No. Way off. Southpaw Grammar this morning actually!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
artist so much as the human


Same fucking thing, is my one and only point.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 07.15.2015 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
No. Way off. Southpaw Grammar this morning actually!



Same fucking thing, is my one and only point.


True but you seemed to be focusing on the product and not the person

Genteel Death 07.15.2015 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
No. Way off. Southpaw Grammar this morning actually!


It all makes sense now.

Genteel Death 07.15.2015 03:11 PM

That's a very underrated Morrissey album too. Good choice.

evollove 07.15.2015 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
True but you seemed to be focusing on the product and not the person


Ah. Now I see.

Maybe it's romantic, but I think Cave can mine this awful experience (first thing I said in my original post, btw) into something that will have a great deal of value for many other people.

I didn't do a great job contrasting this with Clapton's "Tears in Heaven," which aside from being a shitty song seems to serve no other purpose than to make Clapton slightly richer.

I didn't say, "Hope Cave gets a hit out of this!" No, I think he'll do something important.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
That's a very underrated Morrissey album too. Good choice.


Yea! We completely agree on something. Feels good.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All content ©2006 Sonic Youth