Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   How did you fall in love with sonic youth? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=7883)

zedius 11.09.2006 10:24 PM

How did you fall in love with sonic youth?

A little story:
A few years ago I was doing my homework and not listening to music. I opened windows media player to pop on some tunes and there was sonic youth staring at me. I clicked a button to stream their new album, and I didn't listen to anything else for a whole bunch of weeks. I bought the cd, listened to paper cup exit repeatedly, and slowly but surely every song on the album became my favorite for its own week. Except peace attack.

So yeah, sonic nurse did it to me. I guess a lot of you are going to be sickened by that but I don't fully understand why. Since then I have bought (in order) goo, washing machine, dirty, daydream nation (for my girlfriend but we share cds), made in USA, sister, and rather ripped. In the case of washing machine, sister, and rather ripped it's taken me about 12 listens to even like the album. And I love the albums now. It's nice to find a band that I can actually grow to love instead of get bored of.

A 12 year old me back in 1994 bought a cd called daydream nation and hated it. It wasn't nirvana enough for me. Of course I realise my error now, but I don't feel too bad about.

Anyway, I'd like to hear how other people heard sonic youth. Also, if anyone wants to rag on sonic nurse I'd like to hear why some people hate it. I can't think of a single song on it I hate. It's one of those albums that just sounds entirely complete and perfect to me.

guitarpro 11.09.2006 10:56 PM

Saw em on Letterman in 94 and I've been hooked ever since.

PAULYBEE2656 11.10.2006 05:01 AM

got a recording of daydream off a classmates elder brother in around 1988/89. went home, listened to it and was stung by the sonic by the time the mid section of silver rocket kicked in......

the next day i went out and bought daydream nation and sister and black celebration by depeche mode as far as i remember

PAULYBEE2656 11.10.2006 05:03 AM

oh yeah, i later went out and bought bleach by a band called nirvana cuz sonic youth were wearing a nirvana shirt on telly, i thought it was ok, i then went out and bought a sebadoh album cuz kurt was wearing a doh teeshirt, i loved it........ i take my record buying seriously!

Toxa 11.10.2006 05:43 AM

I saw them in 1998 or 1999 in "Ровесник" magazine, here in Russia. There was an interesting article about SY's music and after reading it I've wanted to listen them. I bought "ATL" casette but there were no emotions after listening this record... I was just young boy at the age of ten so I just forgot about this band and have continued to listen pumpkins. But in 2004 I bought "Nurse" and really went into their music... Now they are my favourite band without any doubt. :D

ZEROpumpkins 11.10.2006 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656
oh yeah, i later went out and bought bleach by a band called nirvana cuz sonic youth were wearing a nirvana shirt on telly, i thought it was ok, i then went out and bought a sebadoh album cuz kurt was wearing a doh teeshirt, i loved it........ i take my record buying seriously!

I listen to what the All Music Guide gives 5/5 and albums hailed as classics. I go from there. I got into sonic youth because some guy on MXtabs forums said that "Siamese dream (my favourite album), goo and where you been? were his favourite albums" He reccomended me some sonic and i bought Dirty. It went from there.

raging_nelly 11.10.2006 06:04 AM

My Dad used to play me Drunken Butterfly really loud when I was about four and say 'This is proper music!.' I would be like 'Turn it off! It's too loud and it's old man's music (I pretty much refused to like anything my Dad liked back then)!' But I carried the famous line of 'I love you, I love you, I love you... what's yr. name?' with me all the way up until High School, where I was singing it one day walking along with a friend in the hope that he'd be like 'What's that?' and I'd be like 'Oh, it's Sonic Youth. Have you not heard of them? I have! I am cooler than you (or words to that effect!)!'

So yeah, I was the cool kid name dropping all these cool obscure indie bands back then. But one day in the car a coupla years ago, my Dad was playing Sonic Nurse to me (loud again). It was Pattern Recognition first (of course), and I remember thinking about how much I liked the sorta laid back semi-improvised style to it (oh yeah, and all the fuzz feedback o' course!), so I inquired to my Dad into what it was. Hearing it was Sonic Youth I was like 'Tsch! It's shit then!'

But then, in the weeks to follow, I secretly listened to Dirty (the only Sonic Youth album we had in the house at the time), figuring that I should really give this band a go since I pretended to know loads about them so regularly at school. I fell in love with that album pretty instantly. I decided to admit to my Dad that, yeah, Sonic Youth were good and it wasn't just old man's music! So, I went down to my Dad's mate's house and browsed his extensive record collection for every Sonic Youth record I could find and borrowed the lot. In the weeks to follow I listend to them regularly on my mp3 player and in time fell in love with the band.

Sonic Youth are now my favourite band of all time...

Tokolosh 11.10.2006 06:08 AM

Deeply.

alteredcourse 11.10.2006 06:18 AM

my first boyfriend (and first love ) had been getting into them . he played daydream nation for me and i was crazy about it .

sonic sphere 11.10.2006 08:22 AM

i bought dirty

screamingskull 11.10.2006 08:41 AM

It was 2001 and i was 13 and really into Nirvana and i read somewhere that Kurt Cobain had really like Sonic Youth. so went out and bought 'Screaming fields of sonic love', the first song was teenage riot, and i have loved them ever since.

_slavo_ 11.10.2006 09:22 AM

I remember watching the video of "Little Trouble Girl" some time back in 1997 when I was hooked on Radiohead and bands like that. And I was like,: "Wow, that's weird. I better pick up the album."
So I did.

ni'k 11.10.2006 09:48 AM

i remember years and years ago in my grunge days, i downloaded a few SY songs, youth against facism and some of the other stuff from dirty. i can remember thinking it was the most simplistic, ridiculous stupid crap ever. my ears weren't able to compute the sonic complexities. years later, i think it was probably around 2003, i started reading pitchfork (back when it wasn't shit) and discovered the rich world of indie music that was totally ignored and disgraced by all the corporate shit journalism i was reading at the time. for a while i remember being in a really happy period of my life, reading pitchfork everyday, discovering it was OK to like all sorts of wierd and different music and you didnt have to have big heavy power chords and 30year old teen angst fretwankers in your ears all day. so as my interest in nirvana progressed, and as i started to branch out into the bands kurt would rave about, i became aware of sonic youth again. i remember searching everywhere but not being able to find any of their records. i read about how daydream nation was such a masterpiece and vowed to track down a copy. then one day the annual CD fair came to town, these guys would rent out a massive room in the town hall, next to the stage, and set up tables and tables of cheap CD's. I was in fucking bliss and scoured the place, picking up some REM, Smiths, Janes Addiction stuff. Then to my fucking delight I saw one guy had a torn up old cardboard box with about 10 SY CD's in it. I asked but he told me that DN had just been sold to someone else. I tried to return the other CD's I had just bought but was only able to return one of them. So I borrowed a few coins off a friend and bought Goo and Bad Moon Rising.

I remember getting home totally fucking pysched at this new band I was so excited to explore. I put in Goo and tried really hard to dig it but I just thought it was old dirty grunge and not very intelligent. Over time my ears grew and after much preserverance it all clicked and suddenly I was in fucking heaven. Bad Moon Rising freaked me out too fuck, one of my most favorite and treasured musical expieriances was first getting into that album. It was the most darkest fucked up shit ever, and I fell in love with the band.

After that I can remember download an mp3 of teenage riot one day. I listened to it a few times on repeat but it just sounded dull and I couldn't pick it apart. Then over the next few days in school suddenly this almighty fucking tune got into my head. I couldn't figure out were it was from, it just wrapped itself around my brain and wouldn't let go, and I thought fuck this is the greatest thing ever. So after a long time of searching I realised it was Teenage Riot. I spent an entire year in totally awe and love with that song. No matter what else I was listening to, I always had a mix with Teenage Riot on it. When I eventually tracked down DN, on holiday in Prague, some of my fondest memories of life were walking around this enchanting old city drifiting off into DN.

Sonic Youth brought me out of a musical dead end. They changed my preception of what music could be, they were a bridge from alternative music into high art. They constantly challenge me and I don't know if I'll ever find another band that could open me up to a whole new universe of art and music than they did. I'm fucking grateful everyday that they signed to a major label, even tho this is a practice i abhor. Because if they didn't I don't know what the hell I'd be listening to now. They taught me that you NEVER EVER have to get stale and you NEVER have any fucking excuse if you make a shit record because if you are willing there are always a million different roads to travel, a million different new things to try and a million different new things to get influenced by. I commend them for sticking constantly to their own visions, never comprimising, never making the same record twice and pioneering the spirit of experimentation, while retaining the ability to be accessible and classic. Despite so many fuckers bitching cos they never got a DN.2 SY just did their own thing, despite a lot of people never getting it, they continued.

So yeah, that's why I fell in love with Sonic Youth. Because even at approaching the age most rockstars are self parodying wiped out idiots, Thurston can write a song like Eyeliner. And also, they may have been on a major, but they are one of the most truly independant bands I know. They never ever made a song or a record because I want to hear it or because you want to hear it. They made the type of music they did because they wanted to.

Bal 11.10.2006 10:40 AM

saw 100percent on mtv. i was a skater back then.
it made me buy dirty.

Washing Machine 11.10.2006 06:42 PM

Well I've always been into music (my eariliest memory is being sat in front of the stereo with headphones on) So even before my teen years I had a record collection bigger than most 40 year olds have. I spent most my youth (7-12) in stage musicals and sat in my room trying to write songs on my battered guitar (even though I couldn't really play) my music tastes being so young were really straightforward 60's and 70's pop, Michael Jackson, BeeGees (lol) and showtunes. When I got to 13-14 I totally lost all contact with music (and spent the days watching television and doing fuck all). I started getting into music again casually when I was 15 (the usual Ozzy, Bon Jovi records lol). One day I was watching that Simpson's episode 'Homerpalloza' (that one where Homer goes on tour with the festival's freakshow). I instantly went and downloaded all the bands that were on that show (The Smashing Pumpkins, Nine Inch Nails, Cypress Hill all except for Sonic Youth) because I thought they looked cool. When I heard 'Zero' by the Pumpkins I fell instantly in love. I then downloaded their greatest hits record. Listening to that record was the most important musical/cultural moment of my life. It opened my mind to everything music could be. I immediately began playing the guitar and writing songs again and whoreously listening to every band/style of music I could get my hands on, sucking everything in, spending most of my time reading interviews, album reviews and music mags of all kinds trying to find new bands. One band's name kept coming up again and again...Sonic Youth (that band with the cool name and the cool candle poster in the 'Suicide Notes' record in 'The Simpsons'). So i downloaded 'The Diamond Sea' (without the feedback end) I loved the song so much I went and bought 'Washing Machine'. Well it wasn't what I was expecting! I had never heard so much rubbish in all my life. I stuck by it though and began to quite enjoy it (i now adore it). Then in my attempts to find another Diamiond Sea I bought 'Dirty' (plus it was produced by Butch Vig! Simiese Dream Baby!) needless to say it did the trick.

What really made me fall in love with the band's music was 'Teenage Riot' and the band's 80's output. I found an instant soundtrack to my life in 'Daydream Nation', I'd always wanted to live inside a Richard Linklater film and walking through the modern british (barrett home) suburbs where I had just moved, at night with DDN in my ears dreaming of girls, booze and creating havok was the closest thing to it. I began to lecture my friends that Daydream Nation was the greatest album i'd ever heard....of course they didn't get it. I later took to sneaking 'Invito Al Cielo' and 'Bad Moon Rising' onto the car stereo while we on our way to band practice, dispite their fingers in ears reaction to the music (and utter confusion when I presented a song in which I did beat poetry over the music as opposed to singing...a practice I later gave up as I realised I was not Lee Randalo and sucked at it). It must have had some impact as extended Noise jams soon became a frequant way to end a song.

To quote Gerard Cosloy "Sonic Youth's role as loudmouths/fans made almost as much impact on me as their own music". Sonic Youth opened me up to a whole world of Indie rock that collided with 'high art'. I began getting to modern classical/experimental music like John Cage and Steve Reich. I began taking an interest in the art world again and searching everywhere for films by Dave Markey, Harmony Korine, Richard Kern (and all the others SY associated with or gave lip service to) 'till eventually I didn't need Sonic Youth record covers, videos, interviews anymore. The most important thing Sonic Youth continues to do is open kids up to a whole world you hear nothing about when you turn on your TV or Radio. They have shown that even at this late stage it's still possible to rewrite to rulebook.

k-krack 11.10.2006 06:52 PM

I accidentally downloaded Little Jammy Thing one time... Loved the hell out of it, listened to it at least every day for like, a month. Then the computer got fucked up, and I forgot about that little jammy thing. By that time, I was waaaay into Nirvana, and was reading alot about Sonic Youth, ("Hey, it's that jammy thing band!") and went out and bought Goo, without even hearing anything by them, save for LJT. Since then, the love affair has blossomed, and that Jammy Thing band has become my favourite band of all time.

Confucious is sex 11.10.2006 06:56 PM

I don't have a really long story I'm afraid. My exboyfriend loved Sonic Youth and I hated him so I hated them. Then another exboyfriend loved Sonic Youth and I loved him so I loved them. Then I actually bothered listening to their songs and found that it's pretty awesome music to have on when it's pissing it down with rain and the sun is setting.

Neongod 11.10.2006 08:46 PM

I heard Mote. It was all love from then on..

PAULYBEE2656 11.11.2006 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neongod
I heard Mote. It was all love from then on..

what an introduction!

king_buzzo 11.11.2006 06:06 AM

i got sonic nurse as a gift, it was awesome, but i didnt really get into them at that time, so i went out and bought goo, uncle told me it was great,and i loved them since