Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   louder's hip-hop café V (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=112934)

Skuj 04.18.2016 11:19 PM

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Changing Fantasy.

The College Reapplicant.

I dunno if this lawsuit is a joke or not, but I can see the point if it is real. There must be a price paid for BULLSHIT every now and then.

Skuj 04.18.2016 11:21 PM

Seriously, after all this, how does Tidal look? Was it worth it?

Severian 04.19.2016 12:13 AM

Bullshit law suit. The suit is basically saying: "waaaah I thought I was going to be special" ... They still got what they paid for, and nobody and ALSO the subscription was fucking free, and the free month was extended every time he made a change. So anyone who started with a free trial on Feb 14 still had their free trial going when it went public on Apple and Spotify.

Boo-hoo bitches. Boo fucking hoo. What kind of lawyer would get behind this? M

But yeah, he shouldn't be changing Yeezus or anything else.

Skuj 04.19.2016 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Bullshit law suit. The suit is basically saying: "waaaah I thought I was going to be special" ... They still got what they paid for, and nobody and ALSO the subscription was fucking free, and the free month was extended every time he made a change. So anyone who started with a free trial on Feb 14 still had their free trial going when it went public on Apple and Spotify.

Boo-hoo bitches. Boo fucking hoo. What kind of lawyer would get behind this? M

But yeah, he shouldn't be changing Yeezus or anything else.

Don't you think that Tidal benefitted greatly because of a bunch of blatant bullshit? In the business world, if you willfully lie in order to benefit, this is fraud. It is fundamentally wrong what happened here.

noisereductions 04.19.2016 07:10 AM

Quote:

Toyomu is a Kyoto-based producer who assembled his own version of Kanye West's The Life of Pablo from online sources like Genius and WhoSampled when he couldn't stream it.

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/...life-of-pablo/

Severian 04.19.2016 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skuj
Don't you think that Tidal benefitted greatly because of a bunch of blatant bullshit? In the business world, if you willfully lie in order to benefit, this is fraud. It is fundamentally wrong what happened here.

Tidal benefitted from advertising that wasn't wholly accurate in the long run. Big Fucking whoop. That makes them guilty of advertising, which they didn't even officially do as a company. West said it would be one way, but critical and fan response and the non-stop demand from everyone everywhere that he change his plans made him rethink things.

This is like fucking suing Don Henley for saying the Eagles would reunite when hell froze over. Did hell freeze over when Hell Freezes Over came out? No.

Kanye West, as an individual, is allowed to make changes to how he distributes his product. Jay Z removed Blueprint from streaming services, when there was a reasonable expectation that it would "always" be available. Now it's not. Who's suing?

Jay Z also made a massive marketing campaign out of the Black Album being his "final record." You don't think some folks bought that album just because they thought it was the last HOV record? Don't you think that marketing tactic helped boost sales? And was it his last recoed? Uhhhh... No, not even fucking close.

The truly unforgivable dumbassness of this "lawsuit" is that NOBODY had to pay for the album, and anyone who joined just for TLOP had a FREE Tidal script for two months!!! It actually overlapped, so that they still had their free tidal when the record was out on Spotify and Apple. I guarantee you, 99% of those assholes opted to cancel their trial at the end of the free period and probably don't even know that the free period was extended because an OVERWHELMING majority of TLOP listeners were downloading pirated copies!!!

I don't think off the cuff comments on Twitter are legally binding. If they are, all Kanye had to do was tweet "I changed my mind," and that would be that.

Nobody lost money over TLOP except for Kanye West. When he saw that his record had been downloaded more individual times than any of his proper albjms have ever sold, he probably realized he needed to reconsider things. Now he's at least making a couple cents per listen from Spotify.

People are stupid and greedy and take advantage of any reason they can to take money. I'm no lawyer, but this suit is going to be fucking dismissed, because it's goddamn absurd. People are mad that the $0.00 they spent didn't get them free and exclusive access to something. Oh my, someone phone the police. This here's fraudulent behavior. Someone make a movie about this starring Steve Carrell, Christian Bale, Ryan Gosling and Brad Pitt, because this is the next fucking low-end mortgage crisis. Oh how the world has suffered!!!

Give me a fucking break.

Severian 04.19.2016 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions

Yeah I know I read this last night. Sounds kind of horrifying doesn't it? It's all spoken ("rapped") by the voice from "Fitter, Happier." Ugh. Can you imagine? I'll prolly check it out though. Sounds like it might give me night terrors but whatevs.

Severian 04.19.2016 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skuj

Who can say that it was bullshit at the time? It probably was, but who knows? People are responsible for what they believe and what they do and nobody has the right to sue for damages over something they spent no goddamn money on.

Severian 04.19.2016 08:30 AM

Also, you know, Kanye West CAN'T change his other albums. He can tweak the streaming versions all he wants, but the albums we all own and love are never going to be fucked with. Yes, there's a question of "where does it end?" but it's also kind of exciting ina strange way.

I read an article in Rolling Stone about how TLOP has changed the face of music, and has truly been yet another game changer album, perhaps Ye's biggest one yet. It all seemed really crazy (and was) at first, but now that I've spent $20 on an album that I've received three new versions of, I'm kinda into it. Every time I get a new email from kanyewest.com with a new download link, I slap it on and try to find the changes. I'm not sure there have actually been any this last time because I didn't hear anything different, but whatever. It's uncharted waters. And the album continues to make everything else look like baby shit by comparison.

This is why Kanye's still relevant after 12 years. He keeps doing the unthinkable. This was definitely an unpredictable way to roll out an album, but 808's was an unpredictable way to follow up a stadium hip-hop beast of an album like Graduation.

Let him remix his tracks on streaming services all he wants. Let Kanye be Kanye.

noisereductions 04.19.2016 08:36 AM

my fear is that TLOP "changing music forever" is in a direction of considering the album (like, the "finished album") obsolete. If albums become nothing more than playlists that can be continually be altered from month to month, then we don't have albums anymore.

Severian 04.19.2016 12:01 PM

Quote:

my fear is that TLOP "changing music forever" is in a direction of considering the album (like, the "finished album") obsolete. If albums become nothing more than playlists that can be continually be altered from month to month, then we don't have albums anymore.

Well, we've kinda been looking down the barrel of that gun here in the US for quite a while now. I think it's only a matter of time before CD's just go away. But

Maybe this is a sign that we're getting to that age where we don't understand what kids are all about. I mean, I hate the whole playlist fad. It's just not how I like to listen to music. When I make playlists, I just throw all of one artist's music into shuffle. That's my playlist. I enjoyed making mix tapes for girls when I was younger, but I never appreciated receiving them. Fucking assholes thinkin they know music better than I do!

Remember though, not everyone is Kanye West. I don't think there's a huge risk of Rihanna or Taylor Swift putting out amorphous albums. They just don't have enough ideas, and are not self contained enough as artists to pull it off, nor are they hell bent on the deconstruction of pop music as we know it, as Ye is.

I really wish Pablo would come out on CD and Vinyl. I do. But maybe this is the catalyst for the next thing. Will there be a bunch of Pablos in the future? Probably not, considering the collective IQ and ambition level of most pop stars. In fact I doubt even Kanye will do this again, because that would be very in-Kanye.

I don't know.

noisereductions 04.19.2016 12:11 PM

at the same time - I feel confident we will see a physical release of Pablo. I mean, he said "this will never be on Apple" like 2 weeks before it came out on Apple right? So him saying "no more CD's" doesn't even really hold much weight haha.

You're right though, we're (or at lest I'm) getting too old for "this shit."

Playlists. Pfft. I do the same kind of thing you referenced. Playlists for me as like 100's of songs that I'll use as a makeshift shuffle station.

louder 04.19.2016 03:41 PM

You know.. it's such a great relief that I don't even like Pablo. :o Sorry.

Severian 04.19.2016 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder

You're so weird louder. I don't even get you man. Really, I was very disturbed at first that you didn't like Pablo (as you know). I even kinda tried to hear what you were hearing, because I was convinced I was wrong about the album.

But as time went by, and motherfucker after motherfucker continued to praise the living hell out of it, from pitchfork and npr and rolling stone to, well, noisereductions... and as the songs wormed their way into my body and soul, it's just become more and more clear to me that your feelings about the album are inexplicable and probably have more to do with louder than with Kanye.

I can't begin to understand, but obviously you didn't get what you wanted. I'm sad that you didn't like it, but if you haven't warmed to the album by now then... y'know... sucks to be you ;)

louder 04.20.2016 02:04 AM

Lol. I already told y'all my issues with the album in this thread. Besides, there's still plenty of other music for me to enjoy, it's all good.

louder 04.20.2016 02:45 AM

Really hope we're gonna get some new music from Beyonce this weekend.

noisereductions 04.20.2016 07:23 AM

I'm honestly surprised louder doesn't like Pablo too. It's def my fav hip hop album so far this year. But he's also been in more of a R&B headspace the last year or so. Plus all our tastes change - sometimes for stretches of time. I'm honestly not too thrilled w/ most hip hop this year. I think the Kanye and Future are the only albums I've really enjoyed. I told y'all my trouble loving the Kendrick. And lots have made their way off the Spotify Survivor Playlist haha... goodbye 2Chainz, Flatbush Zombies, Kevin Gates, etc...

I'm really looking fwd to this new Ferg tho. Shocker, right?

Also I'm bummed that this new J Dilla hasn't shown up on Spotify yet.

But yeah, weirdly I've been listening to more "guitar music" than I have in quite a while. Speaking of: new Dandy Warhols album came out of nowhere! But yeah like I said, this year my album rotation has been pretty varied w/ hip hop, rock, jazz...

Rob Instigator 04.20.2016 10:24 AM

Saw tha 2Chainz/Lil Wayne video off of Colle Grove on Street Flava Saturday. I dug that shit.

Rob Instigator 04.20.2016 10:25 AM

and in Beyonce's new one, I hate how she rhymes alabama witn "'Bama".... boring

Severian 04.20.2016 10:34 AM

I haven't been drawn in by many albums this year, but I also haven't been *forcing* myself to seek out and acquire new music on an everyday basis, which is pretty much how I usually operate. I too have been largely unimpressed with this year's hip hop. Kanye and Kendrick dropping albums in the same month just makes everything else feel extremely basic. Kevin Gates and Bas are cool and stuff, but I never sit down and think, man I want to hear Islah instead of TLOP today! I mean... honestly, who fuck would think that, if they had access to and enjoyed both albums?

And Collegrove provided me with one interesting listen. After that it died almost as quickly as Khalifa.

So far the albums that have earned repeated, focused listens from me have been TLOP, untitled unmastered, The Hope Six Demolition Project, Moderat's III, the new Underworld and Big Ups' Before a Million Universes and ANTI (Rihanna, obviously)

I'm also hoping for some new Beyoncé this year. Or more new Beyoncé. I think she's in a position to make a hell of a leap with the political bent of her recent material. She's probably going to have to change up her schtick a bit sometime soon, since she's been around for a freaking lifetime in pop-culture years at this point.

Also hoping for new Pusha T, still, despite not hearing a goddamn thing from anyone about King Push's alleged April release.

Severian 04.20.2016 10:42 AM

I've actually been really disappointed with this year's electronic music releases. Last two years it's been all I could do to even keep up with all the awesome releases dropping every few weeks throughout the year. This year, there's been nothing truly exciting that's made waves. Though I haven't heard Tim Hecker's new one yet. Still, it's been really goddamn quiet.

That and I've been really goddamn busy. Maybe this is a good thing. Maybe I'm maturing and finally growing out of my maniacal obsession with obtaining new music.

noisereductions 04.20.2016 11:23 AM

yeah. We might be grown ups. Weird. Haha.

Severian 04.20.2016 11:42 AM

Aw nuts.

louder 04.20.2016 12:14 PM

DJ Quik Calls Kanye West a Kardashian, Says ‘Life of Pablo’ Isn’t That Great
http://www.xxlmag.com/news/2016/04/d...life-of-pablo/

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.20.2016 03:45 PM

Quote:

Haha love me some Quik

Severian 04.20.2016 05:44 PM

Quote:

Hey, that's great! DJ Quik got himself a headline in 2016! Good for him. ;)

Severian 04.20.2016 05:47 PM

"Send it up" is an awesome song. Just totally fucking awesome. Probably got less praise than any other Yeezus track, but that's a damn fine song right there.

Same goes for "Guilt trip."

Severian 04.20.2016 05:52 PM

I read an intersting little bullshit article called (something like) "11 Times Kim Kardashain clapped back at the haters" ... Or some such nonsense.

But I read through each account of people bashing her on social media (sometimes reputable ass bitches, like Bette Middler), and I read their comments as her responses, and I walked away with a much higher opinion of her. She bitch slaps some random asshole who calls her a whore who only married Kanye so she could be more famous, made some crack about their offspring being idiots or something, and she responded by correcting his grammar and punctuation, and saying "my children will at least know the difference between 'there' and 'their'" ... which I thought was pretty cute.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.20.2016 06:26 PM

Quote:

Hey, that's great! DJ Quik got himself a headline in 2016! Good for him. ;)

Don't hate on your elders son, especially founding fathers of hip hop.

Severian 04.20.2016 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Don't hate on your elders son, especially founding fathers of hip hop.

I'm not hating. I'm actually a fan. I'm just saying, the headline on pitchfork reads: "DJ Quik releases new EP, says Kanye West is a kardashian now" ... It probably wouldn't have even made the headlines without the Kanye reference. And Pitchfork wrote it that way to gain clicks.

It's nothing against Quik himself, but man, if you want to make headlines, say something extreme about Kanye West, and you've got yourself some press.

noisereductions 04.20.2016 10:26 PM

I really think Pfork handled the headline all wrong too. It was too sensational. If you read what he said y'know?

I got mad love and respect for Quik. Dude is genuinely a fan of music. He is a guy that is always about thinking about making something unique and different. I love that.

I felt he was talking as a fan. He admires Kanye. I feel like his thought was that Pablo isn't forward thinking. And I agree in a sense. It is a great album. But it's not pushing any boundaries. When College Dropout came out - everyone started doing the Kanye chipmunk soul shit. When "Goldigger" dropped people realized you could do big budget samples w/o copying the song wholesale like Puff. When Graduation dropped, it was suddenly cool to dig straight techno tracks. 808's pretty much launched a sub-genre. And so on.

So I don't think there was malice there. I think it was a fan saying - ok, good album but I wish it was on some next shit.

It's all good.

louder 04.21.2016 12:58 AM

I watched the video.. he said he wants Kanye to make his best music, and TLOP isn't that. And he thinks it's not as good as his previous albums, which I can agree with. I think he feels the same way I do.. it's just his honest opinion. They asked him about Kanye and he answered. I don't think he was trying to make a headline..

louder 04.21.2016 01:02 AM

Turbo Graffix, please be more like the Kanye we all love, and less like the Kanye Sev and NR but not louder love. :p

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.21.2016 07:45 AM

Quote:

Haha word

Severian 04.21.2016 10:43 AM

Quote:

I watched the video.. he said he wants Kanye to make his best music, and TLOP isn't that. And he thinks it's not as good as his previous albums, which I can agree with. I think he feels the same way I do.. it's just his honest opinion. They asked him about Kanye and he answered. I don't think he was trying to make a headline..

Well, trying or not, my point was more that the word Kanye is more likely to make a headline than not these days. Quik should have been given a blurb about his new album alone. But pitchfork knows how to grab readers.

Re: Kanye's best music

I don't know man. I feel like some tracks, namely ULB, Real Friends, No More Parties, 30 hours, Famous and Fade, are made with Ye fans in mind. I don't see how any fan of top tier Ye couldn't love those songs. All those songs either have Ye's classic self-deprecating lyrical charm, coupled with a sick ass beat, or feature totally inspired chopped up production that plays to his strengths as a producer. Definitely some of my favorite Kanye songs ever.

Every album since Graduation has turned off some fans and blown others away, and TLOP is really no different.

Severian 04.21.2016 10:44 AM

Quote:

Turbo Graffix, please be more like the Kanye we all love, and less like the Kanye Sev and NR but not louder love. :p

Betcha, like, a million dollars' worth of bragging rights that "Turbo" not only doesn't come out this year, but NEVER comes out under that title. Just a hunch ;)

Severian 04.21.2016 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Haha word

Quiet you! You won't listen to it anyway. You'll still only have ears for Gore.

noisereductions 04.21.2016 11:01 AM

Quote:

Quiet you! You won't listen to it anyway. You'll still only have ears for Gore.

his ears must be some kind of deaf ears
he can't hear anything but Gore

he only has ears
for Gore

Severian 04.21.2016 11:05 AM

Quote:

his ears must be some kind of deaf ears
he can't hear anything but Gore

he only has ears
for Gore

Hah!

Sounds like me during the 2000 election. ;)

Severian 04.21.2016 11:26 AM

Real talk though: Even though TLOP is currently being considered more of a "cultural" script-flip, I actually think that in time it will end up having the same effect on music in general that the rest of 'Ye's albums have had.

I think it's apt to think of it as Kanye's White Album. It has a little bit of everything, and that includes dumbass shit like 2016 takes on the skits that populated his first two records ("I love Kanye", "Freestyle 4", "Silver Surfer Intermission", the end of 30 hours).

Did anyone notice the cover of Joywave's latest album?

And there have been other cultural references to TLOP as well.

But I strongly believe that this will influence a whole shit tonigh artists in the same way Ye's other albums have. But because there's so MUCH going on in the album, its actual sonic influence is probably going to be a little more subtle.

That's how it was with MBDTF too. Yeah, that album was like the OKC of hip-hop, and everyone everywhere knew, even if they didn't like it, that it was a game changer. But it didn't produce any direct imitators the way 808's and College Dropout, and Yeezus did. It's probably because the album was not a single statement, and didn't contain one overarching sonic theme (aside from, perhaps, digital maximalism, which Drake kind of aped on Take Care, and which artists like Rustie have pushed to the limit in other genres).

TLOP is a lot like MBDTF in this way. Unlike Yeezus (which was very direct, and had a singular sound throughout... one that inspired Travi$ Scott and new bloods like KIT and gave Pusha T a shot of adrenaline for his big comeback) or 808's, which we all know is probably Ye's most influential album, TLOP spins off in every direction. So I think its influence will be less about direct imitation, and more about other artists continuing to vibe on the record's general frequency.

For example, I think very few albums have been as influenced by MBDTF as Kendrick's To Pimp a Butterfly. They sound absolutely NOTHING alike, but are similar in size and scope. Kendrick didn't rip Ye off in any way, shape or form, but he made a Comton street poet's version of a prog-rap album, and the result has been, essentially, that when it comes to grand hip-hop statements, the 2010s can be represented by those two albjms and pretty much nothing else. If someone were to have a big conspiracy board devoted to modern hip-hop, there would be a little line of yarn connecting these two albums, and moving on to a giant ?.

I suspect TLOP's influence will be similarly broad.