Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sonic Youth = STALE (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=7768)

ted_kennedy 11.05.2006 05:28 PM

Sonic Youth = STALE

I've thought of SY as the most innovative band I know of for a long time now, but it just hit me that, recently, they haven't been that innovative. Yeah, their music sounds like no one else's, but its still sounded the same for a long, long time.

What Im getting at is that Id like to see a SY album WITHOUT guitars. They should just trade all their guitars in for some MPCs, drum machines, synths, etc, and try and make something entirely new. I can say in all honesty that I would REALLY anticipate hearing an album like that, and who can say that about the more recent SY albums (as decent as they are).

I think some of the stuff they did on the Whitey album was very interesting and its a shame they didnt go down that avenue with their later stuff.

Who's with me?

nicfit 11.05.2006 05:38 PM

sounds like a "let's make our Kid-A" process to me...but it could be interesting.

Iain 11.05.2006 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ted_kennedy
but it just hit me that, recently, they haven't been that innovative.

This didn't cross your mind about 2 years ago?

k-krack 11.05.2006 05:57 PM

Quote:

I've thought of SY as the most innovative band I know of for a long time now, but it just hit me that, recently, they haven't been that innovative. Yeah, their music sounds like no one else's, but its still sounded the same for a long, long time.

What Im getting at is that Id like to see a SY album WITHOUT guitars. They should just trade all their guitars in for some MPCs, drum machines, synths, etc, and try and make something entirely new. I can say in all honesty that I would REALLY anticipate hearing an album like that, and who can say that about the more recent SY albums (as decent as they are).

I think some of the stuff they did on the Whitey album was very interesting and its a shame they didnt go down that avenue with their later stuff.

Who's with me?

I'm not.

porkmarras 11.05.2006 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iain
This didn't cross your mind about 2 years ago?

Hello there?Can you see me?

porkmarras 11.05.2006 06:02 PM

Quote:

Who's with me?

Just one thing though.Drum Machines and Synths don't necessarily make someone innovative.I'm outraged that people would consider,say,Kid A an innovative album because it's not.

k-krack 11.05.2006 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porkmarras
Just one thing though.Drum Machines and Synths don't necessarily make someone innovative.I'm outraged that people would consider,say,Kid A an innovative album because it's not.

I like Kid A, but Amnesiac is SO much better. And then Hail To The Theif completely slays everything Radiohead has ever done (in a god way).

noisemachine 11.05.2006 06:07 PM

I really cant see Sonic Youth without guitars. There are plenty good bands who already utilize drum machines, etc. to make innovative music. That just doesnt seem like it would be SY's kind of thing. It would be interesting, but I like them the way they are.

Danny Himself 11.05.2006 06:18 PM

I'd like to see the next album focus more on Steve. Lots of extended pieces focusing mainly on drums- but not drum solos. Perhaps Steve could give us his vocal debut, singing a song about Candy, or Wuv. I bet he sings like Jemina Pearl.

k-krack 11.05.2006 06:19 PM

repped.

Danny Himself 11.05.2006 06:21 PM

Raped.

porkmarras 11.05.2006 06:30 PM

I'd like them to put a record out that has no actual music on it.In fact,no, i would like them to put a record out that has somebody else's music on it.As part of an experiment they should put out somebody else's album under their own guises.......Lily Allen's new one would be just perfect for that.

Danny Himself 11.05.2006 06:32 PM

Fuck Lily Allen, piece of shit cockney bitch with inherited fame. Balls to it all.

porkmarras 11.05.2006 06:34 PM

Steady on,you made her cry.

strictlycommercial 11.05.2006 06:41 PM

Yeah, little worried about where they can go from here. Last few albums have been deadly but I get the feeling unless they pull out something surprising (and I don't mean Lily Allen) they could well end up irrelevant.

That said, a self-consciously anti-guitar album could well end up being really contrived.

Steve Shelly sings disco hits of the 70s?

Tokolosh 11.05.2006 06:42 PM

Quote:

What Im getting at is that Id like to see a SY album WITHOUT guitars.

Heh! Sonic Youth without guitars? What have you been smoking?

Danny Himself 11.05.2006 06:42 PM

Good. I hope she dies horribly. But not really, I just don't like her. Face it, Steve is the new SY direction.

All hail Shelley.

porkmarras 11.05.2006 06:43 PM

Hush up Tokolosh!You heard what the gentleman said.

A Thousand Threads 11.05.2006 06:44 PM

i think it would be cool if they would do something similar to the neubauten.org project

with supporters and exclusive releases and .........

porkmarras 11.05.2006 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Himself
Good. I hope she dies horribly. But not really, I just don't like her. Face it, Steve is the new SY direction.

All hail Shelley.

Could it be the fact that he's already in Sonic Youth?:rolleyes:

Nah i think that their next album should be produced by Karl Lagerfield.