Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   louder's hip-hop café V (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=112934)

louder 06.07.2016 05:39 AM

Snoop Dogg changed the title of his upcoming album from "The Return of Doggystyle" to "Cool Aid".. probably means something about the quality of the record we should expect. :/

Severian 06.07.2016 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
Snoop Dogg changed the title of his upcoming album from "The Return of Doggystyle" to "Cool Aid".. probably means something about the quality of the record we should expect. :/

Ha!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.07.2016 01:35 PM

Severian you take Kanye way to seriously bruh. Does Kim know about all this?

Severian 06.07.2016 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Severian you take Kanye way to seriously bruh. Does Kim know about all this?

I know, it's weird. I'm not usually like this. Growing up a sonic youth fan basically means you have to develop a thick skin about the music you listen to. I could listen to people trash Sonic Youth all day and it wouldn't bother me, but when I see people post memes about killing Kanye, or hear people talking about him as though he's nothing but an insane dude who says dumb shit, it makes me unreasonably and irrationally pissed. Mostly because people almost never talk about his music actually being bad. They just say "Kanye West sucks," whether they know fuckall about his music or not.

It's kind of emblematic of a bigger cultural problem, where people don't see hip-hop as a legitimate musical art form. They think that if people can say words really fast, then they're "good" hip-hop artists, and if they can't/don't, they're "not good" hip-hop artists.

By that logic, Emiem is the greatest ever and J Dilla is a talentless hack.

I don't know man. I'm not proud of my Kanyd worship, but I do love Kanye and his music means a great deal to me. I don't like it when folks write him off because they like the "fishdicks" South Park episode. Or because they want to be part of the intelligencia, and have some rule about liking things that are within 6 degrees of separation from something dumb and mainstream (like Kim Kardashian). That kind of thinking is self-defeating and ultimately just incredibly phony.

If someone said they didn't like Kanye for reasons that had anything at all to do with his music, and were well thought out and sincere and original, I wouldn't get so pissed. But usually it's just bandwagon hopping, and it's annoying as hell.

noisereductions 06.07.2016 10:12 PM

I love Kanye's music and aknowledge he's an insane guy who says dumb shit. haha. So I feel you man. It's like when everyone was on about the whole "I'ma let you finish thing." I'm like "dudes. I love Kanye. I love Taylor. None of what your'e saying is about music. It's TMZ shit."

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.07.2016 10:25 PM

Severian if it makes you feel any better is mostly for his music that i don't like Kanye

Severian 06.07.2016 11:45 PM

Quote:

Severian if it makes you feel any better is mostly for his music that i don't like Kanye

That actually does make me feel better.
But I also know that — because you're not a brain dead oaf — you can probably hear the complexities and inherent strangeness that permeates all of Kanye's post-2004 work.

All I need is for people to get that it's the kind of music and sound engineering that very, very few people can do. Even if you hate it, I'll be fine as long as you don't try to convince me that Kanye has no talent.

Severian 06.07.2016 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
I love Kanye's music and aknowledge he's an insane guy who says dumb shit. haha. So I feel you man. It's like when everyone was on about the whole "I'ma let you finish thing." I'm like "dudes. I love Kanye. I love Taylor. None of what your'e saying is about music. It's TMZ shit."

Yeah.

Except I actually think he was 100% right about that one. What kind of moron would place Swift (especially early Swift... That God-awful "Just Say Yes" song?) over "Single Ladies?" Was it rude, yep. Was it mean, yep. Was it pretty much unnecessary because the Video Music Awards carry no clout whatsoever and mean nothing to anyone who isn't Nicki Minaj? Yeah, absolutely.

But I'm not going to fault someone for saying that generic piece of garbage junior high asswipe song had NO business winning against "Single Ladies." That was an abomination, even though it didn't mean shit.

noisereductions 06.08.2016 07:45 AM

I didn't care then and I don't care now.

Love Kanye. Love Taylor. Genuinely have no idea (nor desire to know) which awards either of them have won.

Severian 06.08.2016 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
I didn't care then and I don't care now.

Love Kanye. Love Taylor. Genuinely have no idea (nor desire to know) which awards either of them have won.

Yeah that's cool man. I guess I really don't care much either, because it's not like Bey has suffered. It's just a dumbass MTV award.

I just happen to be a really big fan of "Single Ladies" (song AND video), and while I definitely dig some Taylor songs, I really dislike that particular one. But I wouldn't have batted an eye about Swift winning that award if Kanye hadn't made a scene, because I would have never known about it, because I hate everything about MTV... and award shows.

So never mind. And yes, all of those public episodes that people use to define Kanye are straw men. They mean nothing, and have nothing to do with his art.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.08.2016 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Yeah.

Except I actually think he was 100% right about that one. What kind of moron would place Swift (especially early Swift... That God-awful "Just Say Yes" song?) over "Single Ladies?" Was it rude, yep. Was it mean, yep. Was it pretty much unnecessary because the Video Music Awards carry no clout whatsoever and mean nothing to anyone who isn't Nicki Minaj? Yeah, absolutely.

But I'm not going to fault someone for saying that generic piece of garbage junior high asswipe song had NO business winning against "Single Ladies." That was an abomination, even though it didn't mean shit.

I will never for the life of me understand why you always invest so much fucks in the value of music awards? They are even more an empty media popularity contest than the NBA MVP! Who gives
a fuck aside from teenage girls and music critics?

Rob Instigator 06.08.2016 03:44 PM

I thought it was a shrewd and calculated marketing ploy. It sets up Beyonce as the anti-Swift, and in all respects she is.

Beyonce - heterosexual, african american, roots in Dirty South, grew up middle-class, can dance her sizable ass off, political,
Swift - closeted homosexual, WASP, Yankee blueblood, grew up wealthy, cant shake that twiggy butt to save her life, shies from politics,

;)

Severian 06.08.2016 09:27 PM

Quote:

I will never for the life of me understand why you always invest so much fucks in the value of music awards? They are even more an empty media popularity contest than the NBA MVP! Who gives
a fuck aside from teenage girls and music critics?

First off, it's "so many fucks" ...

Second, what do you mean I invest value in awards? I said repeatedly that the awards don't mean shit! I feel the same way about the Grammys and to some extent the Oscars. They're worthless.

But that's because they cater with bullshit decisions and "rulings" that the world is supposed to see as somehow official. If these awards did less of the shit that I bitch about them doing, they would be less worthless.

Also, not sure if you've noticed, but I like to blow of steam from time to time. I don't give a percent of a percent of a god forsaken fuck about the MTV awards. I wish they didn't exist. I hate them. They're awful. They make people stupider and they infect infect the minds of music listeners, narrowing public awareness of music and the arts. I place ZERO value in them, but I reserve the right to complain about them nonetheless.

Surely you can understand that.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.09.2016 01:22 AM

The time e-40 kidnapped biggie

https://amp.twimg.com/v/a8013ff8-4c3...9-20c07f82fcc9

Severian 06.09.2016 08:47 AM

Quote:

What is that show? Who was that weird Cubano dude who was just sitting there?

That was a good little view though, man. I liked that shit. E-40 is funny as hell. Truth be told I didn't realize he was so prone to violence!

I like that bit where totally boring white guy in a suit said, "so you extended Biggie's life" and 40 just says, "However you wanna put it." Hah. So dry. He's kinda trying to downplay the situation, and then he just goes flat and basically says yeah, I chose not to kill that bitch.

Haha!

Still love Big and Wu and whatnot all day long, but that was fucking good. Thanks for sharing!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.09.2016 01:08 PM

Have you just not been listening to e-40? He talks about merking folks on like every other track ;)

Severian 06.09.2016 07:18 PM

I don't know what merking means. I often miss references to violence in hip-hop because I don't knew the lingo very well at all.

I did listen to E-40, though. For a long time. He was never one of my abso-faves, but I've always liked him. In the last year or two I've kinda lost interest and lost track of what he's been up to lately.

louder 06.10.2016 02:22 PM

noisereductions 06.10.2016 02:50 PM

^what's that?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.10.2016 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
I don't know what merking means. I often miss references to violence in hip-hop because I don't knew the lingo very well at all.

I did listen to E-40, though. For a long time. He was never one of my abso-faves, but I've always liked him. In the last year or two I've kinda lost interest and lost track of what he's been up to lately.

Merking means kill somebody. Indeed just put on The Element of Surprise again, its essentially one of most violent records in rap