Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   how many times have you seen a band upstage another band? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=12510)

pantophobia 04.23.2007 12:32 PM

how many times have you seen a band upstage another band?

just thinking about what toilet was saying in the fugazi thread, who have you seen do it

me personally:
Erase Errata upstaging The Ex in DC

The Battys upstaging two really crappy bands before French Toast and Saccharine Trust played
(jennthebenn, Toilet, Nefeli can confirm this, Naomi would but she was so bored she fell asleep then went back to the hotel, and i mean they really really sucked)

ATP 04
Mission of Burma upstaging The Shins
Le Tigre upstaging Vincent Gallo (who the fuck thought that was a good idea? Thurston certainly lamented about it later in a blog post)

Les Georges Leningrad upstaging Trans Am in DC

Les Georges Leningrad upstaging Sonic Youth in Montreal (it's true)

Mirror-Dash upstaging Nautical Almanac at NAF
(I CERTAINLY know !@#$%! will attest to that one)

Sleater-Kinney upstaging Sonic Youth at Arturfest

Savage Clone 04.23.2007 12:34 PM

Green Milk From The Planet Orange majorly upstaged Vietnam and the Black Angels last week, and they did so even with a technical issue mid-set.

jennthebenn 04.23.2007 12:53 PM

erase errata upstaging bardo pond when both bands opened for sy in boston,
8/13/02...jenny hoysten will be glad to hear that

co-sign Sleater Kinney over SY at Arthurfest

jennthebenn 04.23.2007 12:53 PM

and i can't believe you left off Brad Laner over Earth at Arthurfest. oy.

Savage Clone 04.23.2007 12:56 PM

Stereolab, 1993 or 94, two nights in a row opening for Unrest.

jennthebenn 04.23.2007 12:58 PM

erase errata over adult, just a few weeks ago in balto

mary timony over q and not u, a couple years ago at the black cat in dc

LGL over the Locust at the Black Cat in '04 (i think)

!@#$%! 04.23.2007 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pantophobia
Les Georges Leningrad upstaging Trans Am in DC

Mirror-Dash upstaging Nautical Almanac at NAF
(I CERTAINLY know !@#$%! will attest to that one)

Sleater-Kinney upstaging Sonic Youth at Arturfest

i was a little far during the s-k set @ arthurfest because i was starved & had to stand on a long line to get a chunk of food. i joined in later so i dont know.

at NAF unfortunately nautical almanac tanked horribly and i don't know why. true story.

and les georges leningrad DEFINITELY upstaged trans am in dc. they should have headlined that show. they were awesome.

pantophobia 04.23.2007 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennthebenn
erase errata over adult, just a few weeks ago in balto

mary timony over q and not u, a couple years ago at the black cat in dc

LGL over the Locust at the Black Cat in '04 (i think)

erase errata slipped my mind

and i had think about the other two, but i thought Q and not U did hold their own (if barely so)

and the Locust could certainly stand up on their own, if you disagree ask the huge bald guy in the red shirt that was moshing behind us

pantophobia 04.23.2007 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennthebenn
and i can't believe you left off Brad Laner over Earth at Arthurfest. oy.

i forgot about that, Earth had one of the worst sets i have ever seen by anyone, that was utter shit

Toilet & Bowels 04.23.2007 05:38 PM

melt banana upstaged le tigre in tokyo
OOIOO nearly upstaging SY, also in tokyo
bardo pond upstaged mogwai
bardo pond upstaged quickspace

MellySingsDoom 04.23.2007 06:21 PM

Dead Meadow completely pissing over a very dull Black Mountain last year, and ditto Celtic Frost with Kreator very recently in London.

Everyneurotic 04.23.2007 06:41 PM

*paradise lost upstaging ozzy in 1995
*puya upstaging rhcp even when half the speakers in the house were shorting.
*slayer almost upstaging priest at ozzfest '04...on second thought make that "slayer enhacing priest at ozzfest"
*kiss getting their asses handed to them by pantera in '96
*whitesnake upstaging priest in '05 (true story, it was like seeing spinal tap!!)

i think that's all i've seen.

pantophobia 04.23.2007 06:55 PM

now if we are bringing up metal........

Linkin Park upstaging Papa Roach (not even the metalheads back in 01 would give them any love)
Slipknot upstaging Marilyn Manson (unless you ask any goth girls with cut marks on their arms)

Everyneurotic 04.23.2007 06:57 PM

ohh yeah, also static-x upstaging linkin park in '02 (lp even covered the deftones my own summer to kinda save their asses), they almost also upstaged korn but i can't lie, korn were pretty good.

Dead-Air 04.23.2007 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Stereolab, 1993 or 94, two nights in a row opening for Unrest.

Yeah, exactly, saw the same thing happen at the Capitol Theater in Oly. I'd only just barely heard of either, but Stereolab for fucking awesome, and Unrest was just boring.

Dead-Air 04.23.2007 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Green Milk From The Planet Orange majorly upstaged Vietnam and the Black Angels last week, and they did so even with a technical issue mid-set.

Green Milk would upstage just about anybody at this point. Anyone who goes on after them is just nuts.

Dead-Air 04.23.2007 11:55 PM

I went to see Skin Yard play at this hole in the wall in Seattle in '89 called Squid Row, and there was this opening act called Nirvana. I don't actually know how good Skin Yard's set was, because I walked out after the opening act was done fully satisfied in the rock department for months.

There had been like three other people in the audience, and I honestly remember saying to myself out loud as I walked out the door, "That's the best band in the world, and no one will ever know!"

Green Magnesium 04.24.2007 12:00 AM

Dildo Pickle Parade upstaging Roach Bubbles

Grand Fun Razorbasin upstaging Brushburn Bandana Dance

atsonicpark 04.24.2007 08:40 AM

racebannon upstaging q and not u
puppy vs dyslexia upstaging yellow swans and xiu xiu

that's about it...

whorefrost 04.24.2007 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pantophobia
Le Tigre upstaging Vincent Gallo (who the fuck thought that was a good idea? Thurston certainly lamented about it later in a blog post)

haha, what exactly did he say? that was a truly awful performance. i watched the start of Le Tigre, pretty sweet but then nashed off downstairs for my first ever Wolf Eyes gig and glad I did too...