Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Psychic hearts go out to you. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=13046)

auto-aim 05.09.2007 01:23 PM

Psychic hearts go out to you.

I finally managed to get this album the other week - for £3! - and i've found myself listening to it quite a bit since. My perception of it is that although it's a solo album it seems a bit like a bastard child of sonic youth. Like I'm not sure why this material was released like it was and not put to the band to flesh out some more - when shelly was involved anyway. That isn't to say that there isn't a different kind of slant to justify it's existance - there's something more immediate and poppy about the production - which seems ahead of it's time. I've seen some critisim for Elegy for all the Dead Rock *s, maybe because it isn't Diamond Sea but I think it's awesome.
All in all I think it's an awesome album but should probably have been cut in half - but it puts thurstons genius or whatever you want to call it (it's an over used term) in focus.

Anyway, I thought it might be an interesting topic of discussion what with the new one coming out soon.

jennthebenn 05.09.2007 01:33 PM

it's almost amusing to hear it in the context of thurston's subsequent work,
the contrast of pop vs. "noise composition" (or whatever the hell)...there's
an interview where he says his only real regret about the album was soaking
his vocals in effects for all the songs (i still think it was a good decision on his part).

what half would you cut, auto?

whorefrost 05.09.2007 01:36 PM

I was about to mention that vocal effect. I think it sounds really great as well. Really nice album. I like Hang Out, Feathers, Tranquiliser and Ono Soul. Female Cop is totally gorgeous as well.. sort of sad like a rain soaked leaf clinging to the pavement on a windy autumn day..

Danny Himself 05.09.2007 01:36 PM

Contains a lot of my favorite Thurston tunes. Most notably, "Hang Out", "Cherry's Blues" and "Ono Soul".

Did you know Lee produced 'Female Cop'?

king_buzzo 05.09.2007 01:46 PM

I need to get that record

auto-aim 05.09.2007 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennthebenn
what half would you cut, auto?

Well, yeah I think it could be far more succinct. I'll say the tunes I'd definatly keep on there:
Ono Soul, Blues from Beyond the Grave, Feathers; Tranquilizers, Cindy (Rotten Tanx), Cherry Blues, Female Cop and Elegy.... then i think i'd keep one of the others too like Hang Out or something.

auto-aim 05.09.2007 01:51 PM

So actually that seems like I least favour the first half of the album... which might be a reason why people might not have such an easy time getting on with it.

PAULYBEE2656 05.09.2007 02:45 PM

psychic hearts is a rockin out mother of an album. hang out is an awesome trashfest of a song. the album should stand on its own merits and not be compared to sy material although that is gonna be unlikely.....
i heart psychic hearts...............

Daddylikes 05.09.2007 02:47 PM

Ditto. Psychic Hearts is a masterpiece. I prefer it to Washing Machine which I believe came out at the same time.

cagedbird 05.09.2007 03:39 PM

washing machine was released in september 1995. psychic hearts
came out some time in the summer of 1995. i believe.

GrungeMonkey 05.09.2007 03:43 PM

I like it, but gain, I feel that the songs would be ebtter with the full band, and that maybe some songs shouldn't have been included... I actually find the album quite depressing, I don't really know why. Its good though. I'm looking forward more to the new Thurston album...

Daddylikes 05.09.2007 04:43 PM

September of 1995 is still the summer time. Like I said, Psychic Hearts kicked Washing Machines ass. I bet Thurston agrees ;)

atsonicpark 05.09.2007 04:59 PM

sassy thurston wrote about 4 good songs for it.

SynthethicalY 05.09.2007 05:33 PM

I think it is an excellent album, just a fine pop album.

auto-aim 05.09.2007 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swa(y)
the fact that psychic hearts was DISCONTINUED for how many years????< just goes to demonstrate how well the album was percieved. and oddly enough ya didnt see as many people talking about it until it was reissued.

That has no baring on it being a good album or not though... though i'd agree it's not a very good 'album' persay - but there really are some fucking excellent songs on there.

baby bulldog 05.09.2007 08:55 PM

Got to see that entire record performed live in Hartford....amazing show.

atsonicpark 05.09.2007 09:20 PM

what does it being discontinued for years mean in relation to it being good or bad? it means nothing.

and for the record, that's one record -- along with pacers "amp" and chumbawumba's "tubthumping" -- that i see used EVERYWHERE.

psychic hearts is pretty bad.

k-krack 05.09.2007 10:20 PM

Great album, though I don't listen to it often.
So much better than Washing Machine (ie, my least favourite SY album).

hirsute_biped 05.09.2007 10:45 PM

for a long time i felt like it was a half-assed sonic youth album, but lately i've gotten back into it, dug it for what it is. its got this grunge/glam/girlpower thing going on, but supremely weirded out, left to fade in the sun...

t-bird remembering high school and shit, methinks...

krastian 05.10.2007 12:41 AM

My girlfriend (yes, girlfriend:eek:) gave it to me for Valentines Day when it came out.....I was in 8th grade. Still love it, bitches!! Chan's version of Psychic Hearts is great too.