Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

Bytor Peltor 05.16.2016 04:52 PM

 

evollove 05.16.2016 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Oh man, what a great album. Not one I can really handle emotionally anymore, but certainly Built to Spill's best.


Gave up the chance to see them a little while ago. Dumb move, evollove.

Severian 05.16.2016 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
Gave up the chance to see them a little while ago. Dumb move, evollove.


I dunno. I saw them a lot way back when. Last time was probably '04, and it was actually a pretty underwhelming show. They left out a lot of my favorite cuts, and the set was very There is Nothing Wrong With Love and Keep it like a Secret-heavy. Those are great albums of course, but I wanted to hear them blow shit open with "Randy Describes Eternity" and "Kicked it in the Sun."

I actually haven't listened to their most recent album. I'm a shitty BtS fan.

evollove 05.18.2016 05:52 PM

Most of this is completely true. (I'm assuming no nuns were harmed. Also, Polvo kicks the living shit out of Unwound.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
everything polvo did is fantastic. I love it all
get it all
the EP's, like Pavement's EP's had some of their greatest songs on them.
This Eclipse EP, is genius

My favoirite is CELEBREATE THE NEW DARK AGE EP.
that is the fucking best thing ever.

POLVO FOREVER!


Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
and to me Polvo just took off where sonic youth started, and did their own thing. I fucking LOVE THEM

the trinity of noisy rock bands for me is thus

SONIC YOUTH
UNWOUND
POLVO, with sonic youth as the godhead and polvo and unwound being amnifest examples of the godhead.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
shapes did not suck! I blast that sad sad shit all the time!


Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
they fucking rule all.

I got the crawfish down
I guess I slept all day just so i could be awake right now
I'm flying south with a running start from the roof of my house
you've got to see it
to believe it
go get your camera, and perceive it


Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
my kimono is GORGEOUS


Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I wuold fucking slap a nun to get to see Polvo live.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
watching some one perform tunes while "standing there holding a shrugging pose with a confused look " on their face is what I rock to!


Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
polvo is everything


Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Polvo downstairs at fitzgerald's in houston motherfucking TX. 12 bux


Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Good fucking show. They played lazy comet, fast canoe, all sorts of good stuff. Met the guys. Fucking nice guys.


Severian 05.18.2016 08:53 PM

Polvo is great, but they absolutely do not kick the living shit out of Unwound.

Actually, evollove, weren't you the guy who was asking for Unwound recommendations, like, a month ago. Then asking for Polvo recs immediately thereafter?

Put a decade or two into these bands, then you can pretend to know what you're talking about.

guest 05.18.2016 09:21 PM

 

joe mcphee/graham lambkin - chance meeting [kye, 2015]

 

adrian rew - slot machine music [hanson, 2013]

 

freddie gibbs/madlib - piñata [madlib invazion, 2014]

 

croatian amor - the world [posh isolation, 2013]

noisereductions 05.18.2016 10:36 PM

 


straight up, the most underrated jazz album of 2015.

The title track/opener is incredible. The cover of FlyLo/Kendrick Lamar's "Never Catch Me" is devastating. Just a brilliant album that nobody paid any attention to.

evollove 05.19.2016 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Actually, evollove, weren't you the guy who was asking for Unwound recommendations, like, a month ago. Then asking for Polvo recs immediately thereafter?

Put a decade or two into these bands, then you can pretend to know what you're talking about.


That's it? I wanted to set off more drama than that.

Actually, I merely asked for everyone's top 5 tracks out of curiosity, as an informal poll, a bit of research, although it's true I know Polvo a lot better than I know Unwound. That's because Polvo is better.

Severian 05.19.2016 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
That's it? I wanted to set off more drama than that.

Actually, I merely asked for everyone's top 5 tracks out of curiosity, as an informal poll, a bit of research, although it's true I know Polvo a lot better than I know Unwound. That's because Polvo is better.


Silly boy.

evollove 05.19.2016 03:07 PM

Silly boy?

I expect this sort of vicious hatred on a KKK website, or in the youtube comment section. But this isn't the place for your brand of pure evil.

I've neg repped you hundreds of times. I've blocked you many more. I now have no choice but demand the mods ban you forever.

Hope you enjoyed your time on the board.

Drjohnrock 05.19.2016 05:32 PM

We have mods on here? Really? Nah, you must be joking.



Dear Mods: I know there really are mods on here. And you do a fine job. My previous comments in this post were meant as a joke. You know, joke. J-O-K-E.

Severian 05.19.2016 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
Silly boy?

I expect this sort of vicious hatred on a KKK website, or in the youtube comment section. But this isn't the place for your brand of pure evil.

I've neg repped you hundreds of times. I've blocked you many more. I now have no choice but demand the mods ban you forever.

Hope you enjoyed your time on the board.


That's right. I am a hateful man.

Bytor Peltor 05.21.2016 08:30 AM

MODULAR - Fiebre En La Disco......sweet vibe with a killer video!




Don't believe I'm familiar with any of those......will be checking them out!


Quote:

Originally Posted by guest
 

joe mcphee/graham lambkin - chance meeting [kye, 2015]

 

adrian rew - slot machine music [hanson, 2013]

 

freddie gibbs/madlib - piñata [madlib invazion, 2014]

 

croatian amor - the world [posh isolation, 2013]


pepper_green 05.21.2016 12:39 PM

same old old man shit.

Andre 3000-A Love Below

Sly Stone-There's a Riot going on.

Sly Stone's voice....mmmm delicious.

Severian 05.23.2016 10:25 AM

Pantha Du Prince - The Triad (Rough Trade, 2016)

 

greenlight 05.23.2016 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Pantha Du Prince - The Triad (Rough Trade, 2016)

 


I forgot about new Pantha Du Prince album! first impression?

I can never get enough of a Im Bann track fromBlack Noise album.

Severian 05.23.2016 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenlight
I forgot about new Pantha Du Prince album! first impression?

I can never get enough of a Im Bann track fromBlack Noise album.


My first impression is that it's the most important pure electronic album of the year at this point. Also one of the first of the year to really grab me, which is strange because I usually like more techno/house/footwork shit than anything else. Pitchfork called it "quietly sinister" or some such bullshite and I really can't agree. It feels almost atypically non-sinister for the genre. There are some euphoric moments on it. Though this is Pantha, so it's more professional and intricate than the rave-and-molly maximal "euphoria" folks like Rustie are kicking out. It feels exponentially more deliberate and artful than that stuff.

I listened while driving, then while working, so I haven't had a chance to really let it sink in. It just strikes me as a very strong record from an artist with a unique sound and personality. I'm excited to hear such a strong new release from someone other than Aphex, Autechre, Squarepusher, etc. despite how much I love those artists.

Listen to it, man. There we're two or three songs that just made me stop what I was doing completely and give all my attention over to the music. I'll get back to you on the titles, but there are some really amazing moments on the album.

greenlight 05.24.2016 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
My first impression is that it's the most important pure electronic album of the year at this point. Also one of the first of the year to really grab me, which is strange because I usually like more techno/house/footwork shit than anything else. Pitchfork called it "quietly sinister" or some such bullshite and I really can't agree. It feels almost atypically non-sinister for the genre. There are some euphoric moments on it. Though this is Pantha, so it's more professional and intricate than the rave-and-molly maximal "euphoria" folks like Rustie are kicking out. It feels exponentially more deliberate and artful than that stuff.

I listened while driving, then while working, so I haven't had a chance to really let it sink in. It just strikes me as a very strong record from an artist with a unique sound and personality. I'm excited to hear such a strong new release from someone other than Aphex, Autechre, Squarepusher, etc. despite how much I love those artists.

Listen to it, man. There we're two or three songs that just made me stop what I was doing completely and give all my attention over to the music. I'll get back to you on the titles, but there are some really amazing moments on the album.


you see, power of the words. your review makes me want to give it a go. thanks!

EVOLghost 05.24.2016 04:23 PM

Merzbow 1930

Severian 05.24.2016 07:41 PM

I listened to that new Car Seat Headrest album today. Gotta say, it's catchy and fun, just like Teens of Style. If I were a 22 year old, I'd be all over it. But I doubt I'll listen to the whole thing again, even though some moments reminded me strongly of Sebadoh, in a good way.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All content ©2006 Sonic Youth