Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Scary/disturbing bands (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=16404)

sarramkrop 09.18.2007 04:49 AM

Scary/disturbing bands

Coil
The Fall of certain phases.
Throbbing Gristle (in their prime).
Certain phases of Sly Stone.
The Suicide of the first album.
White Light White Heat-era Velvet Underground, plus mid-seventies Lou Reed.
The Joy Division of Unknown Pleasure.

There are plenty of black metal bands that I enjoy, but I can't help seeing the comedy factor in them, plus the whole thing of dressing up like that really doesn't help. If anything, Black Sabbath at their blackest had a certain amount of subtelty about them that was more sinister. Coil are by far one of my favourite bands, and one that truly pushed themselves more and more into the human psyche with fantastic results. Blah blah blah. Yours?

screamingskull 09.18.2007 04:50 AM

slip knot

sarramkrop 09.18.2007 04:52 AM

No comedy, please.

screamingskull 09.18.2007 04:54 AM

insane clown posse

sarramkrop 09.18.2007 04:56 AM

I forgot that you are a girl, therefore you are more susceptible to the sight of spiders and the like.

A Thousand Threads 09.18.2007 05:19 AM

John Coltrane - I'm not kidding. To me there something very dark in his music, disturbing beautiful and frightening. Just listen to Ole, it hurts.

Certain stuff of Einstürzende Neubauten (ala Hören mit Schmerzen, Autobahn, Schaben, Hospitalische Kinder etc)

You mentioned TG and Coil, i agree.

there are many more

_slavo_ 09.18.2007 05:25 AM

Coil absolutely.
Death in June
Der Blutharsch
The Moon Lay Hidden Beneath a Cloud
Early stages of Current 93 ("Nature Unveiled" especially)

Coil actually scares me that much that I basically don't listen to their music at all, although it's a high quality and strangely beautiful one.

sonicl 09.18.2007 05:25 AM

I found Current 93 deeply disturbing when I first heard them (Swastikas For Noddy) - Tibet's voice sounded like a vomiting demon.

I was going to say Death in June too, but compared to Current 93 they were a walk in the park.

Tokolosh 09.18.2007 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
I forgot that you are a girl, therefore you are more susceptible to the sight of spiders and the like.

Sexist! :)

Nurse with Wound
John Zorn's Naked City
GG Allin and the Murder Junkies < His nihilistic point of view.

nicfit 09.18.2007 05:57 AM

early suicide
tricky's "angels with dirty faces"
some badalamenti
early SY too
stigmata martyr ha ah
goblin maybe?

pbradley 09.18.2007 06:00 AM

I know it's silly to get freaked by R.E.M. (they're such gentile boys) but there is a live version of "Turn You Inside Out" that scares the shit out of me. When Stipe sings I can turn you inside out into the bullhorn, he does it with such passion that I can't help but think he's serious.

Early Butthole Surfers could scare the shit out of me if I were in that scene. Gibby Haynes is fucking mad.

nick2767 09.18.2007 06:01 AM

Swans live up to Children of God could be disturbing. Very loud, pummelling and slow and Gira's onstage performance a bit, shall we say, intense.

Whitehouse - I only have one LP but there's a whiff of unpleasantness about their imagery and subject matter.

fugazifan 09.18.2007 06:29 AM

frankie teardrop is one of the most disturbing tracks i have ever heard.

screamingskull 09.18.2007 06:31 AM

there's a guy (asshole) in the brian jonestown massacre that calls himself Frankie Teardrop. But he's a real asshole.

auto-aim 09.18.2007 06:33 AM

I'm trying to think the name of that act i think from the eighties... There was two guys, presumably german, maybe not. But one of them used to play the keyboards and have a little hitler mustasche... That dude really used to freak me out.

sonicl 09.18.2007 06:34 AM

^
Sparks?

sarramkrop 09.18.2007 06:34 AM

Yello? I thought that they were Swiss.

sarramkrop 09.18.2007 06:35 AM

Sparks are one of the most surreal bands that I have ever seen live. Truly strange stuff, both visually and aurally.

max 09.18.2007 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by screamingskull
there's a guy (asshole) in the brian jonestown massacre that calls himself Frankie Teardrop. But he's a real asshole.

even more kudos to you. those guys should know better and their name sucks to death, quite literally too.

ThePits 09.18.2007 07:24 AM

Gwar and Emperor