Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Favorite Song off Rather Ripped (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=1485)

Rob Instigator 05.04.2006 10:52 AM

hey dude, all we have is our principles.

and if sonic youth really wanted you to have their album for free they would send it to your house.

SONIC LIFE!!!!

shit man, I have been rocking sonic youth since 1987. I have scoured the earth to add to my 40plus pieces of sonic youth recordings. I take great pride in supporting my local indie record stores. GREAT PRIDE.

long live sonic youth

Rob Instigator 05.04.2006 10:57 AM

experimental jet set trahs and no star did and continues and will always disappoint me.

radical adult 05.04.2006 11:03 AM

@ rob instigator: "I take great pride in supporting my local indie record stores. GREAT PRIDE."
fine for you.

But where I live there is just this big supermarket-like "media markt". Just dumbnuts who think Phil Collins is music. And anyway: Something more than mainstream music is just available via mailorder.
And mailorder has its pitfalls too. On the opposite: The dl of rather ripped just needs less than an hour & you are able to listen it more than a month than the other "honest" folks.

that's no justice, I know & that is not to be questioned, but I really don't have the time no more to hunt after "rare" recordings, if I can get them via computer in the twinkling of an eye.

and experimental jet set .... sweeps up the floor with rather ripped

whorefrost 05.04.2006 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radical adult
@ rob instigator: come on, please don't be so self-righteous!

there are more than one interview in which sy (specially thurston) adopts a clear pro-downloading position! "music should be available for free & for all" or something like that.

I bought every single official album, you freak! Maybe we should compare our collection to see who is the real fan (I am getting real teenager-like today!)

Maybe this album grows on me, but all I can say right now: This album disappointed me & no other sy-album did this in the past 12 years since I started being the sy-head I still am.

agreed

although for me it's 8 years

Unmade Bed 05.04.2006 11:15 AM

I can't decide yet, but i guess my favorite Rather Ripped songs must be:
Reena, Incinerate & Turquoise Boy.....by now

laserbeard 05.04.2006 11:38 AM

Pink Steam, Pink Steam and Pink Steam

Pablitzen 05.04.2006 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
each sonic album is different. each one grows on you. give it time

as far as STEALING the album, how is this going to help sonic youth boost their already dismal album sales? (see thread regarding this for list of albums and sales figures)
How does stealing the album early in any way add to the pleasure of the music?
How does stealing the album benefit anyone but the greedy thief?
WAIT people, WAIT and buy the fucking album direct from sonic youth if you want your money to go to them and not to BEST BUY or your local indie record store.
wait until you have the music as SONIC FUCKING YOUTH INTENDED YOU TO HAVE IT, not on some bullshit sounding leaked MP3.

Long Live sonic youth and long live TRUE FANS

just cuz you are going to buy it later does not mean you did not STEAL IT.

If I steal a stereo, test it out and see that i like it, then go back to the store and purchase another stereo exactly like the one I stole, that does NOT MAKE IT BETTER DAMNIT!

think people!

i have the france performance (audio)... but i dont have the album on mp3...i'm waiting for the official release...i'm not a thieve or something like that ( thieve is an insult for me )
and also you can listen reena and incinerate at OFFICIAL this site...
http://www.sonicyouth.com/alt-main/rippedpop.html

AllHandsOnTheBigOne 05.04.2006 01:40 PM

Jams Run Free

Rob Instigator 05.04.2006 01:58 PM

I guess noone remembers that long and heated thread about illegal downloading of material on the old forum

it is hard to read hyperbole in text.

rather ripped! I cannot wait!

guitarpro 05.04.2006 04:26 PM

Incinerate kicks ass

Andrés 05.04.2006 11:28 PM

Jams Run Free

HaydenAsche 05.04.2006 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I guess noone remembers that long and heated thread about illegal downloading of material on the old forum

it is hard to read hyperbole in text.

rather ripped! I cannot wait!

HAHAHA.

YOU ARE NOT A REAL FAN IF YOU DOWNLOAD MUSIC! I AM KHCHRIS! HEAR ME ROAR!

khchris(original) 05.05.2006 02:10 AM

I love The Neutral or Pink Steam the most.

kingcoffee 05.05.2006 11:55 AM

If the band has a pro downloading position, then that's the end of the argument on this message board. Besides, it's not really stealing, it's taking other people's copies WITH permission. If the band didn't want their music to be realeased early, then maybe the record studios should beef up their security. The thing is, a lot of bands allow music to be leaked to drum up some hype. If Sonic Youth have low record sales, then that's not my problem. I have supported the band for years by paying considerably hefty prices to go to their shows. I'm doing my part. Besides, I just saw Thurston driving around in a brand new SUV. It looked like a really nice car. The band has many different ways of earning income. It's not like they live in squallor like a group of 20-something college students in a run down apartment building. They have earned enough cash to keep up a decent living. They may not be rich, but they're not poor.

kingcoffee 05.05.2006 11:56 AM

Besides, there's always iTunes. They charge you a buck per song. Not too shabby.

kingcoffee 05.05.2006 11:58 AM

The truth is that some of you people who always buy the albums and complain about the people who download for free, you think you're better than everyone else. Well guess what? You're not. You can complain all you want but at the end of the day we're all the same. We all love SY and just because some of us get it differently than some other's doesn't mean we're wrong. It's not like we're going into record stores and snatching this shit off the racks.

kingcoffee 05.05.2006 12:03 PM

So all of you just get over it. I can't believe somthing so TRIVIAL like downloading music for free gets you so riled up! There are starving people all over the world, there are evil dictators ruling foreign (and domestic) lands that treat people like garbage! And you have the spoiled little balls to complain about rock music???? Shame on you! I'm sure everyone, myself included, can go find something better to do with our time than wax idiotic about something so ridiculous as this shit. Go and read a book, ride a bike, sponsor a child, hand out soup in a homelss shelter. I don't care. But whatever you do just SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT MUSIC DOWNLOADING!!!!!!
I'm tired of this shit!

HaydenAsche 05.05.2006 12:04 PM

Quadruple-post!

Rob Instigator 05.05.2006 03:15 PM

what is trivial about getting something you have not paid for, with no cover art, w9ith no liner notes, presented in an audio format that the entirety of sonic youth find shitty, with no support given either to my favorite band's label, or themselves?

That is NOT trivial

are you trying to make the argument that if the person you are stealing from has money then it is OK? that is STUPID!

Пятхъдесят Шест 05.05.2006 03:23 PM

I'd much rather have the physical CD/vinyl in my hands. Theres nothing fun about hearing songs played through your computer. With just text....

I love going to record stores.

Do what you will though, you're missing out.