Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Shooting at Virginia Tech campus (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=12275)

jico. 04.17.2007 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
B. Some, but this keeping in mind that you are just taking away ONE tool from already violent hands.

a very powerfull one.

demonrail666 04.17.2007 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swa(y)
guns being legal....people can hunt for their own food if they choose

What's wrong with the humble fishing rod?

sarramkrop 04.17.2007 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jico.
a very powerfull one.

Not the most powerful.

Florya 04.17.2007 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pookie[COLOR=red
Less people die.[/color]

At the risk of sounding pedantic, banning guns will not stop people from dying. Everyone dies.
Banning guns would allow more people to live for longer, and would cut down the need for so many prisons.

I wonder how much 'money/taxes' those killed by guns could have contributed to the American economy had they lived. Do you think it would be more or less than the amount of 'money/taxes' raised through the sale of guns. I'm pretty sure that it would be considerably more. So it makes economic sense to bring in gun control as well.

I'm not going to comment on this any more - you all know my thoughts on the subject and you can either agree or disagree as you see fit.

I hope that something changes before the next massacre, but I don't hold out much hope.

jico. 04.17.2007 08:03 AM

Quote:

w'ere concerned about safety.

lets ban cars

lets ban knives

lets ban drugs

lets ban alcohooooool

lets ban airplanes (how many died as a result of 9/11? valujet?

lets ban ART (its caused people to do some pretty fucked up shit)

lets ban sex (them stds are a killer)

lets ban cigarettes

gosh damn the world would be so fuckin' boring.

^ now that's a fucking idiot post...

Florya 04.17.2007 08:05 AM

Quote:

there is a form of gun control.

you gotta register in order to own one.

however, like heroine, you can get it regardless.

i dont actually live in the country (im pretty close to atlanta), but i am from the south, and i know and have lived in "country" environments.

shit, ive lived all over the us. washington state, florida, georgia, ive spent alot of time in new mexico (never "lived" there, but did stay on a navajo indian reservation for a brief period of time, been back to visit several time since) i lived in okinawa japan for three years.

im not some small minded cluessless hick that wears a jon deer cap and works on a farm. if that were the case, honestly here, most likely i wouldnt be on a sonic youth message board (ill admit though, ive met some pretty back woods mother fuckers who were pretty serious about some punk rock...heheh....look up "pier six brawlers" on myspace...reallllly trasht southern outlaw punk. ...i hate those dudes by the way, know em personally)

i think i have a very valid stance on guns.

I apologise if I gave the impression that I thought you were a 'hick'. That was never my intention.

jon boy 04.17.2007 08:06 AM

my thoughts are the same as floyra's.

sway just wants to argue for the sake of it i think.

Pookie 04.17.2007 08:08 AM

Quote:

guns being legal....people can hunt for their own food if they choose, they can defned themselves if need be.

the advantage of banning them...weaker folks being taken advantage of. just imagine how many more alpha male assholes would break into houses/rape/steal if it wasnt for the fear of possibly being shot

The most important post in this thread!

This post inadvertantly summarises the whole issue perfectly.

There is a genuine belief in large parts of America, that what stops criminal activity is the threat of death (hence the seemingly baffling refusal to abolish the death penalty), and it's exactly that attitude which means that gun culture will continue to exist.

The reason most people don't commit crimes (alpha male or not) has more to do with morality than the threat of punishment.

jico. 04.17.2007 08:08 AM

Quote:

Not the most powerful.

true.

sarramkrop 04.17.2007 08:15 AM

Anyway, i'm terrified of guns and i wouldn't want to have one. But to just come up with ' another reason to ban guns' sort of statements whenever this sort of thing happens is plain laziness and and kills off what could be an interesting discussion, rather than making it flourish. I'm 100% sure that guns won't be banned after what happened, as sad as yesterday's happenings are. The society we live in is a capitalist one, therefore things like this happen and will happen again and gain. Either accept that, or else you are believing a lie, the lie that tells you that your opinion or mine count that much when it comes to decision-making.

jon boy 04.17.2007 08:17 AM

Quote:

Anyway, i'm terrified of guns and i wouldn't want to have one. But to just come up with ' another reason to ban guns' sort of statements whenever this sort of thing happens is plain laziness and and kills off what could be an interesting discussion, rather than making it flourish. I'm 100% sure that guns won't be banned after what happened, as sad as yesterday's happenings are. The society we live in is a capitalist one, therefore things like this happen and will happen again and gain. Either accept that, or else you are believing a lie, the lie that tells you that your opinion or mine count that much when it comes to decision-making.

so what is a good reason to say another reason to ban guns?

demonrail666 04.17.2007 08:20 AM

Quote:

I'm 100% sure that guns won't be banned after what happened, as sad as yesterday's happenings are.

On that point we agree.

RdTv 04.17.2007 08:20 AM

Guns will never be banned in America, at least not in the forseeable future. You're talking about a country who's bread and butter are violence and exploitation. Banning guns in the US would be like banning beer in Belgium.

jico. 04.17.2007 08:23 AM

Quote:

how?

its true.

we're talking about a massacre... preventing them... that's what were talking about.

sure cigarettes alcohol and all that can kill... ever used on a massacre?
we cant ban airplanes, cars etc... we need them...

do you need guns? what for?

sarramkrop 04.17.2007 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon boy
so what is a good reason to say another reason to ban guns?

Elaborating why you think that they should be banned, rather than just stating that you agree with this of that. Discussions are also good at elucidating things that, perhaps, one wasn't too sure about.

jico. 04.17.2007 08:27 AM

they sell war guns to the common citizen... for what the fuck do they need a war gun?

jico. 04.17.2007 08:28 AM

Quote:

how many people died from smoking related cancers last year...car accidents?

now that.."jico"...is a massacre.

massacre is a mass murder not mass dead.

jon boy 04.17.2007 08:30 AM

Quote:

Elaborating why you think that they should be banned, rather than just stating that you agree with this of that. Discussions are also good at elucidating things that, perhaps, one wasn't too sure about.

yes see your point but it is a catalyst i suppose.

anyway i have explained my point of view on this now so i will let other people have their say.

jico. 04.17.2007 08:31 AM

i dont even know what gun this fuckhead used... let's say it was a handgun. imagine how many he could have killed with one t of these war guns they sell in his hands...

sarramkrop 04.17.2007 08:32 AM

Quote:

he just likes agreeing and dissagreeing, he doesnt like arguing.

;)

Swa(y), you're just being provocative now.