Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Frontmen/women (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=43781)

demonrail666 12.16.2010 05:32 PM

Frontmen/women

Don't know if we've had a thread on this. Who do you think are or have been good frontmen or women in bands? Not in terms of their musical capabilities but their charisma, etc.

Genteel Death 12.16.2010 05:53 PM

Mark E Smith because I like how he combines work ethic, public persona and being an artist. Diamanda Galas because she would push any member of a band she fronted in the shade, male or female.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 12.16.2010 06:19 PM

G.G. Allin - had the crudest stage presence of all-time.
Jonathan Davis - moved/headbanged to his music unlike anyone else I've ever seen. Plus the kilts, ADIDAS tracksuits, bagpipes, and scat are all quite memorable.
Donita Sparks - threw her tampon.
Kurdt Kobain - was a nice fellow.
Genesis P. Orridge - was also a nice fellow for a second or two.
Iggy Pop - still often imitated to this day.
Nick Cave - still often imitated to this day.
Freddie Mercury - Damn, could this guy belt out a verse or two.
Alice Cooper - To my knowledge, this guy invented shock rock. His theatrics are also often imitated. He's from Detroit (always a plus in my book), plus there's also the infamous "chicken incident".
Ozzy Osbourne - he may be a junkie statue these days, but he really used to rock the stage. He's a legend with good reason. Don't forget the "bat incident" either.

atsonicpark 12.16.2010 07:52 PM

Beefheart and Mark E. Smith are the two who always immediately come to mind. Otherwise, I never really paid attention to frontmen or women very much.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 12.16.2010 07:59 PM

Marilyn Manson

He doesn't always bring the strongest performance, but the theatrics of his shows are notorious, and have always been politically controversial or symbolically intriguing to some extent. Plus, it's fun watching him get pissed at his band members from time to time. I've heard his live shows have been a bit of a joke lately - but the dude's getting old, and I think his wild past is finally starting to catch up to him (see Ozzy).

Dr. Eugene Felikson 12.16.2010 08:17 PM

Silent Dan Speaks 12.16.2010 08:26 PM

That picture made me crack up.

SonicBebs 12.18.2010 02:48 PM

blunderbuss 12.18.2010 03:24 PM

DemonBox 12.19.2010 12:05 PM

Jeffrey Lee Pierce of course.

SONIC GAIL 12.19.2010 01:16 PM

Axl Rose

TheMadcapLaughs 12.20.2010 02:19 AM

david lee roth!
but seriously,
morrissey: his dancing is worth the price of admission alone
ian svenonius: engages the crowd and makes it a really fun show
david yow: insane iggy like behavoir
jello biafra: again, very entertaining live
jonny rotten: even though he's a douche
james brown: the man can get down, stopped a riot for fucks sake! now thats what i call charisma
james chance: engaged audience (got into fights with them)
jonathan richman: good stories, fun shows
damo susuki: opposite of diamanda, he always blended perfectly with the band. imagine the pressure of having to come up with stuff to sing along to Can songs. seems like a good crazy dude to me

DeadDiscoDildo 12.20.2010 02:48 AM

Where is Lux Interior?

Genteel Death 12.20.2010 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadDiscoDildo
Where is Lux Interior?

Dead.