Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

Norma J 01.22.2008 07:37 PM

Crazy chords? But the chords aren't really crazy, it's just the intensity and the song structure.

Live, Jim basically carried that band whilst Omar danced around. Add the two together and it's a perfect mix, hence why ATDI were so damn good. Jim was the solid guitarist, while Omar was pretty messy. It worked for them.

Death & the Maiden 01.22.2008 10:15 PM

The Sisters Of Mercy - Floodland

The harpsichord part in "This Corrosion" won't get out of my head.

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 01.22.2008 10:20 PM

This heat

Downloaded it off a blog along with 1000 other things.

Everyneurotic 01.22.2008 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norma J
Crazy chords? But the chords aren't really crazy, it's just the intensity and the song structure.

Live, Jim basically carried that band whilst Omar danced around. Add the two together and it's a perfect mix, hence why ATDI were so damn good. Jim was the solid guitarist, while Omar was pretty messy. It worked for them.

ok, sorry, replace "crazy" with "atypical for a heavy rock band" chords.

Norma J 01.22.2008 11:46 PM

No, I know what you meant. I just don't find the chords out of the ordinary. But perhaps they are.

Norma J 01.23.2008 12:22 AM

Was listening to:

now listening to:

Style 01.23.2008 04:15 AM

alec empire - the golden foretaste of heaven

screamingskull 01.23.2008 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
i remember an interview where omar took credit for writing the riffs with the crazy chords saying that it was because he was left handed and had to make up chords that jim later had to learn.

then, atdi break up and jim keeps writing the riffs with that kind of chords while omar went on to write music that hardly has any guitar riffs or chords whatsoever.

i like me the odd sparta song, wiretap scars is too melancholic for me, at least it was the last time; porcelain has more solid songwriting. they are without a doubt better than the mars volta.

from this article
http://harpmagazine.com/articles/det...rticle_id=4807

Quote:

Rodriguez-Lopez and Bixler-Zavala’s presence at (ATDI) rehearsals and recording sessions also seemed practically non-existent. At the time, Rodriguez-Lopez says his attitude was, “If I’m going to be smoking crack all day, I sure don’t want to be in a fucking recording studio,” and so great portions of his time involved staying indoors, painting and getting high.

If they weren't at rehearsals, as they were too busy smoking crack and shooting heroin, then they can't have had too much in-put.

and this quote that made me laugh. Go Jim!!!
Quote:

Then there was the infamous show in San Francisco at the tiny indie rock club Bottom Of The Hill. That night, former At The Drive-In guitarist Jim Ward turned up in the audience, had more than a couple drinks and, as Bixler-Zavala recalls, “laid into Omar.”
“He was like, ‘Yeah, that’s cool, you guys go ahead an make your own band,’” Bixler-Zavala says, mimicking his ex-bandmate. “That’ll go really far. ‘Yeah, you and Cedric, the responsible guys.’”
As insensitive as that may sound, Ward had a valid point. The Mars Volta had yet to become a professional rock band in almost any capacity.

To me, i don't think Omar and Cedric had much to do with ATDI's writing, Cedric wrote half the lyrics and Omar came up with some good guitar parts to play over Jim's excellent guitar parts, but you're right Jim carried that band.
Watch Jim caring the band
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZagV6...eature=related
Omar throws his guitar at an amp half way through the song. Cedric does what he usually does, and Jim ends up singing most of the song.
I love At The Drive In, it would be kool if they were still together as they made an excellent band, but when it comes to your personal life i think Jim and Tony are better off without Cedric and Omar around them.

Norma J 01.23.2008 05:49 AM

Omar and Cedric are two cool guys though, and apparently clean these days and have been for a few years now.

sonic sphere 01.23.2008 08:24 AM

the beach boys-carl & the passions "so tough"

gmku 01.23.2008 08:26 AM

Roadrunnah roadrunnah... going faster miles an hour...

gmku 01.23.2008 08:26 AM

Allelujah... Hare Krishna...

sonic sphere 01.23.2008 08:52 AM

the jesus & mary chain-the complete john peel sessions

gmku 01.23.2008 08:55 AM

Cool.

Inhuman 01.23.2008 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norma J
Omar and Cedric are two cool guys though, and apparently clean these days and have been for a few years now.

I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but my teacher once toured with them back when at the drive-in were small. He said they would argue about mindless things like whether Gandalf or Sauron was more powerful in Lord of the Rings and the arguments would get really heated.

I'm listening to Pan Sonic - Kesto

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 01.23.2008 10:02 AM

Just finished Dead Meadow - Old Growth
Listening now to Howlin' Rain's selft titled.

gmku 01.23.2008 10:04 AM

Should I play some Steely Dan? Katy Lied, I think.

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 01.23.2008 10:10 AM

You know I've never listened to a Steely Dan record? A lot of classic artists for that matter.

gmku 01.23.2008 10:12 AM

Oh, man, you have to get some Dan. I think Katy Lied is probably the most perfect rock album ever made.

guitar7080 01.23.2008 10:19 AM

Turn it up, I'm listening to the radio, local emergency weather info. It rocks, Highs -1 to -6 below.