Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   favorite jean-luc godard movies? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=345)

i am the arm 03.27.2006 03:23 PM

favorite jean-luc godard movies?

as long as we're being film snobs...

1. WEEKEND (this movie is so fucking awesome i can't believe it, scares the shit outta people)
2. Alphaville
3. Band Of Outsiders
4. A Woman Is A Woman
5. Contempt
6. Tout Va Bien

i still gotta see Breathless...

Savage Clone 03.27.2006 03:28 PM

Alphaville!

!@#$%! 03.27.2006 03:30 PM

le mepris!!!!!!

alphaville!!!!!!!!!!!!

this is my current desktop image in the portable machine:

(well, a lot bigger :D)

stirling 03.27.2006 03:33 PM

I couldn't make it through Alphaville, but I liked Two or Three Things I Know About Her

johnnywinternoshow 03.27.2006 03:38 PM

i was bored stupid by a bout de soufle

!@#$%! 03.27.2006 03:39 PM

le mepris = contempt

fucking brilliant cinematography, story, characters, fritz lang!

this movie gives me eyegasms.

---

i liked band of outsiders ok

les carabiniers is bizarre but very very funny especially in these days of perpetual war and poor uneducated kids being recruited into the armies

i have not seen le gai savoir or je vous salue marie

(yet)

toxic johnny 03.27.2006 03:47 PM

Les Carabiniers
Le Petit Soldat
Breathless
Vivra sa vie
Masculin Feminin
Pierrot Le Fou

Are all beyond words...

LifeDistortion 03.27.2006 03:50 PM

Oh wow, I JUST saw "Breathless" yesterday. Its the only Godard movie I have seen so far. I'm really into seeing fifties and 60's french films lately. I've been renting a lot of them from Netflix.

Iain 03.27.2006 04:54 PM

Haven't seen many but my opinion on him is divided to say the least. Really like A Bout De Soufle but fucking hated Tout Va Bien. I don't think I would feel as strongly about it as I did when I first saw it but I can't imagine actually liking much either. The whole distanciation thing just seemed really laboured....

I almost bought Weekend the other day (on the weekend in fact) because I have been dying to see it for ages and I can't imagine not liking Alphaville for some reason....

i am the arm 03.27.2006 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iain
Haven't seen many but my opinion on him is divided to say the least. Really like A Bout De Soufle but fucking hated Tout Va Bien. I don't think I would feel as strongly about it as I did when I first saw it but I can't imagine actually liking much either. The whole distanciation thing just seemed really laboured....

I almost bought Weekend the other day (on the weekend in fact) because I have been dying to see it for ages and I can't imagine not liking Alphaville for some reason....

Seriously, Weekend is a tour de force. It is scathing unlike any other movie (except perhaps Network)... pure ball-busting capitalist-bashing, entertaining as hell too...

johnnywinternoshow 03.27.2006 07:18 PM

what about a bout de souffle/breathless do people like so much? I don't get it, i bought bande a part and didn't watch it cus i didn't like a bout de souffle

chabib 03.27.2006 07:33 PM

made in USA
contempt
band of outsiders
weekend

Ich bin gael 03.27.2006 08:00 PM

I haven't seen very much Godard, but from what I have seen mos def. Masculin Feminin! My avatar is from that film! A Bout De Souffle is very good as well.

Kinski_Twist 03.28.2006 04:13 PM

Finally I have found a kindred spirit in "i am the arm". Weekend is also my favourite Godard film yet few other people, even among Godard fans like it as much as his other stuff.

Re johnnywinternoshow don't worry about not liking Breathless. I absolutely detestedt it because it pissed me off so much and it was also my first film from Godard. I still don't think I'd like it all that much if I watched it now.

Then I watched Weekend. I couldn't fucking believe what I had just seen. One of the very few films in the history of cinema that can truly be said to be iconoclastic, in the "I'm gunna tear down the fucking establishment like a 14th century church smashing barbarian" kind of way.

I've seen pushing 30 of his films. So I'll do a little guide for people trying to get into his work when I have a little more time. That sounds a bit pretentious. I'll recommend some films of his that I think kick cinematic arse and don't bore like many see Breathless as doing.

chairman of the bored 05.13.2009 03:54 PM

Bumpity-bump bump. Criterion is releasing 2 or 3 Things I Know About Her and Made in USA. Anyone know if these are worth picking up?

atsonicpark 05.13.2009 04:23 PM

Pierrot Le Fou!

Seems like it was very influential on Kitano.

Better_Than_You 05.13.2009 06:07 PM

i fucking loved a bout de souffle.

but i think i like my life to live more than that one. i haven't seen any other film made by him.

but the part where she's in the movie theater and watching joan of arc... two tears fall from her eyes with out her having to even squeeze them out.. big fat ones.

i fucking died.

Better_Than_You 05.13.2009 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnywinternoshow
what about a bout de souffle/breathless do people like so much?

chairman of the bored 05.13.2009 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Pierrot Le Fou!

Seems like it was very influential on Kitano.

Good point, never thought bout this. The whole enjoyment of life while something terrible is happening...the beach scenes in the middle...the endings, color schemes, etc. sorry not so eloquent, im braindead and tired at the moment. but i feel you on that.

chairman of the bored 05.13.2009 11:32 PM

My Live to Live is great...i only saw it once, in a film class, and it was the first godard film i saw. criterion need to release that and week-end pronto.