Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sonic Youth (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=30)

schizophrenicroom 03.21.2007 01:23 AM

i'm definitely not a numbers person, which is why i'm bad at it. it's too cold of a subject for me.

SynthethicalY 03.21.2007 01:24 AM

I am always interested in science, it is just an amazing thing.

schizophrenicroom 03.21.2007 01:25 AM

i've just never had good teachers, i think

!@#$%! 03.21.2007 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schizophrenicroom
i'm definitely not a numbers person, which is why i'm bad at it. it's too cold of a subject for me.

yeah the problem is that they teach math as "numbers". that's shit. math is about solving problems, thinking spatially, all kinds of fun stuff. when i was in highschool i had this SHIT teacher and i almost flunked math. in college i had a minor in math because they taught it right. math can be really creative. i mean when you find a way to solve a problem, it's an instant headrush, like, hm endorphins or something, ha ha.

SynthethicalY 03.21.2007 01:26 AM

I had one good English teacher, he was the one who turned me into literature.

!@#$%! 03.21.2007 01:27 AM

so ms. schizo, what turned you on to computer science?

schizophrenicroom 03.21.2007 01:31 AM

i really, really loved eighth grade when i took algebra two because he taught it well like you described. geometry was cool, too. but the past two years have been well, "numbers".

i get an endorphin rush talking about history. mostly ancient roman history.

schizophrenicroom 03.21.2007 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
so ms. schizo, what turned you on to computer science?

i like computers. the science i hate is the enviromental sciences and cellular things that have always bored me.

SynthethicalY 03.21.2007 01:34 AM

I like history, mostly from the 1900-1970 I think the sixties where cool. But mostly I am fascinated with Andy Warhol.

!@#$%! 03.21.2007 01:36 AM

Quote:

i really, really loved eighth grade when i took algebra two because he taught it well like you described. geometry was cool, too. but the past two years have been well, "numbers".

i get an endorphin rush talking about history. mostly ancient roman history.

oh. "numbers" suck. but the key to the universe is awesome. ha, i don't know if there is one but i used to think it was right there and i could find it.

ancient roman history huh? is it because mr. sex on legs? :D

(ha ha, i saw your post)

ive never gotten into that particular subject. my dad on the other hand knows quite a bit about that. he read suetonius, tacitus, and i don't know what else.

ive visited some roman ruins though, that was pretty cool. you gotta love running water. :D

schizophrenicroom 03.21.2007 01:37 AM

the whole factory scene is so fascinating.

but i'm a nerd for rome.

!@#$%! 03.21.2007 01:38 AM

Quote:

i like computers. the science i hate is the enviromental sciences and cellular things that have always bored me.

oh oh oh but cells are so cool. i can't imagine how that can be boring. see i stopped being religious when i was like 11 (my parents are very catholic) and so i was always looking for an explanation of life... how the hell (i thought) does my hand move when i want to?

schizophrenicroom 03.21.2007 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
ancient roman history huh? is it because mr. sex on legs? :D

(ha ha, i saw your post)

ive never gotten into that particular subject. my dad on the other hand knows quite a bit about that. he read suetonius, tacitus, and i don't know what else.

ive visited some roman ruins though, that was pretty cool. you gotta love running water. :D

aha! i think it is. i love him.

i read suetonius a long time ago. fun read.

yeah, running water is fun.

!@#$%! 03.21.2007 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SynthethicalY
I like history, mostly from the 1900-1970 I think the sixties where cool. But mostly I am fascinated with Andy Warhol.

you've been to his museum in pittsburgh? it's AWESOME.

SynthethicalY 03.21.2007 01:40 AM

I am a nerd for New York, that city has captivated my imagination since high school. I always saw myself more of a New York person than a L.A. person.

schizophrenicroom 03.21.2007 01:41 AM

i'd love to go to that

SynthethicalY 03.21.2007 01:41 AM

No I want to go to his museum, maybe when I have money. I'll go.

!@#$%! 03.21.2007 01:42 AM

Quote:

aha! i think it is. i love him.

i read suetonius a long time ago. fun read.

yeah, running water is fun.

the closest thing i've read to roman history, now that i've thought about it, is "hadrian's memoirs"-- how is it in english? memorias de adriano in my translation, but it's this french book by marguerite yourcenar, this monster of a woman, i mean, what brains!! a spectacular writer!!

she wrote this fictional autobiography of hadrian and oh oh oh uau. i can't recommend it enough. you are going to love it. she is a superhuman being. well, was, but those people don't die you know?

schizophrenicroom 03.21.2007 01:44 AM

Quote:

I am a nerd for New York, that city has captivated my imagination since high school. I always saw myself more of a New York person than a L.A. person.

same here! but i do have part of my heart in san francisco. god, i love that town.

!@#$%! 03.21.2007 01:44 AM

Quote:

was it truman capote that said that your iq instantly drops several points when you travel from new york to l.a.?

i took a bus to pittsburgh from dc. was quite an entertaining trip. pittsburgh is weird... all that decay!