Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What gigs are you going to in the coming months? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=6735)

ilduclo 05.31.2017 08:51 AM

Pharmakon in July

Severian 05.31.2017 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
Abslutely. Me and mr. greenlight (fellow boardie) will go together.

Their album was very interesting indeed.


Oh I should have known you'd like Reassemblage. You're the guy who blew my mind with his DJ set. I'm super jealous. It's one of my top five releases of the year so far.

Another GREAT one is Jlin's Black Origami, though it's great in a completely different and much more jarring way.

HAVE FUN!

EVOLghost 05.31.2017 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilduclo
So, did you see Haco? She's fantastic!


Yeah. Got to exchange a few words with her too. She was amazing. Even threw in an After Dinner track at the end. I was talking with the guy who rereleased some of her stuff(Detector Records). He had some pretty cool stories.

EVOLghost 05.31.2017 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilduclo
Pharmakon in July



She was here for a little fest last Thursday. Couldn't make it though....

_tunic_ 06.03.2017 05:42 AM

wtf? Bill Callahan is playing somewhere nearby in August in a wonderful open air theatre. But the support act is a COMEDIAN ??
I'm not paying 35 euros for a blablabla dude who I've never heard of :(

Drjohnrock 06.03.2017 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_
wtf? Bill Callahan is playing somewhere nearby in August in a wonderful open air theatre. But the support act is a COMEDIAN ??
I'm not paying 35 euros for a blablabla dude who I've never heard of :(



A few years back I saw Leon Redbone. His contract stated that no musical act was to open for him. So the promoter took full advantage of the loophole and had a magician open for him. Redbone was reportedly pleased, saying a magician was the perfect opening act for him. And while I'm not really that into magicians, the guy was great.

Back to the topic: I have a choice this Thursday between Warpaint and The Joy Formidable. Nothing at all against Warpaint but I'm going to see The Joy Formidable.

greenlight 06.07.2017 12:59 PM

just seen Sarah Davachi last night. fucking amazing.

h8kurdt 06.15.2017 02:50 PM

Fucking Kraftwerk on Monday. My god am I excited by it.

_tunic_ 06.20.2017 12:34 PM

Nils Frahm has announced his coming tour schedule, all in the first four months of the next year! Many dates in the Europes and the US, so take a look at his site and go book your tickets!! http://www.nilsfrahm.com/concerts/

Can't recommend this guy highly enough, his live shows are so amazing. Last time I had my eyes closed during the complete show (except when he was talking in between songs), with my ears aimed towards the speaker stack. You should seriously try that out some time. People will think you're insane, but it's very cool. Music should be heard with the ears not the eyes and especially not the mouth.

Severian 06.21.2017 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_
Nils Frahm has announced his coming tour schedule, all in the first four months of the next year! Many dates in the Europes and the US, so take a look at his site and go book your tickets!! http://www.nilsfrahm.com/concerts/

Can't recommend this guy highly enough, his live shows are so amazing. Last time I had my eyes closed during the complete show (except when he was talking in between songs), with my ears aimed towards the speaker stack. You should seriously try that out some time. People will think you're insane, but it's very cool. Music should be heard with the ears not the eyes and especially not the mouth.


I dig what you're saying here man.

I'd do the same at a Nils Frahm show. I've never seen him. Maybe I'll look into whether or not he's coming to my area.

Severian 06.21.2017 07:01 PM

 


I've been asked if I want to see these guys in August.

Seems like a weird bill to me. I think I'd like to go in theory — for nostalgic reasons — but in practice, I think I'd end up being bored and wishing I was elsewhere.

Would you guys be into this?

h8kurdt 06.22.2017 09:00 AM

Saw Echo and the Bunnymen in Liverpool a few years back. It was the single worst gig I've ever been to. How can they fuck up The Killing Moon? A song they've been playing for nigh on 30 years?!

I dunno, I probably caught them on an extremely bad night. But to mess up in your home town is pretty shocking. I'm just glad I got in for free

Severian 06.22.2017 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Saw Echo and the Bunnymen in Liverpool a few years back. It was the single worst gig I've ever been to. How can they fuck up The Killing Moon? A song they've been playing for nigh on 30 years?!

I dunno, I probably caught them on an extremely bad night. But to mess up in your home town is pretty shocking. I'm just glad I got in for free


Thank you.

I will not be going to Femmes/Echo. Would have gone primarily for Echo, but not now.

I love the Femmes' first few albums, but now they just seem like sad perennial adolescents to me. They've been around for 30+ years and never changed up their sound at all.

gogologogolo 06.24.2017 09:36 PM

Aw yeah, Dan Deacon is coming to my city again. That guy puts on a hell of a show.

Severian 06.25.2017 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gogologogolo
Aw yeah, Dan Deacon is coming to my city again. That guy puts on a hell of a show.


I've pretty much stopped paying attention to Dan Deacon's studio material, but you're right that he's damn good live. I'd make it to a show if I had the opportunity, for sure.

Babineau 07.14.2017 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Fucking Kraftwerk on Monday. My god am I excited by it.


How was it?

ilduclo 07.14.2017 07:37 AM

Pharmakon tonite, just got tickets for Boris/Endon/Sumac in Oct.

Severian 07.14.2017 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilduclo
Pharmakon tonite, just got tickets for Boris/Endon/Sumac in Oct.


Ooh! Pharmakon!

And Boris just put out a new album. Haven't heard it yet but will.

Cheers. Have fun.

tesla69 08.05.2017 08:52 PM

WOrK #32 – Thursday August 10
Loren Connors/Steve Dalachinsky/Daniel Carter//
Jon Gibson/Ikue Mori/David Watson//
Andrea Parkins/Brian Chase//

Doors at 8.00pm Show at 8.30pm
$10, all money to the performers.
1090 Wyckoff Ave, Ridgewood. L train to Halsey St stop

tesla69 08.18.2017 03:48 PM

at The Stone
8/26 Saturday (XXAR)
8:30 pm
Bando Bro Jo—resonator guitar and banjo sextet

Elliott Sharp (resonator guitar, banjo) Joel Harrison (banjo) Mary Halvorson, Julian Lage, Ava Mendoza, Nels Cline (resonator guitars)

Savage Clone 08.21.2017 02:29 PM

One of the bands I'm in just got offered the opening slot for Endless Boogie here where I live on Sunday. I've never seen them before and I was excited enough just to attend, but now I'm extra excited.

Genteel Death 08.22.2017 07:45 AM

They're playing in London on the 17th of September. I am planning to go to see them.

Savage Clone 08.22.2017 09:53 AM

I'm very excited. Paul major also has a new book out that I am definitely going to pick up. He's going to do a reading earlier in the day on Sunday.

Severian 08.22.2017 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
One of the bands I'm in just got offered the opening slot for Endless Boogie here where I live on Sunday. I've never seen them before and I was excited enough just to attend, but now I'm extra excited.


That's pretty exciting. They have a new album out this year that I've yet to hear. Congrats on the gig and enjoy the show!

gogologogolo 08.22.2017 08:24 PM

I'm going to New York next week and have the chance to see Pyrrhon, Liars, and John Zorn and Bill Frisell, among others.

Anyone been to any of these shows?

Severian 08.23.2017 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gogologogolo
I'm going to New York next week and have the chance to see Pyrrhon, Liars, and John Zorn and Bill Frisell, among others.

Anyone been to any of these shows?


Yeah, I saw Liars way back when they first started to get some buzz. They were insane and droney and noisy and awesome. I'm not sure they would be now though. They've kinda trended downward over the years.

gogologogolo 08.25.2017 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Yeah, I saw Liars way back when they first started to get some buzz. They were insane and droney and noisy and awesome. I'm not sure they would be now though. They've kinda trended downward over the years.


My thoughts exactly, their first few albums were pretty cool, but nothing since seems to have been quite as good.

On the other hand, it's a free show, so...

tesla69 08.28.2017 07:41 PM

Tuesday, August 29, 2017

7 pm -- Zodiac Saxophone Ensemble
Charles Waters - alto sax, Lee Odom - clarinet and alto sax, Claire Daly - baritone sax

8 pm -- The Music Now Unit
Ras Moshe Burnett - reeds, Larry Roland, Charles Downs - drums, Dave Ross - guitar, John Pietaro - percussion

The Commons
388 Atlantic Avenue
Brooklyn, NY

greenlight 09.26.2017 12:57 AM

andrea belfi
okkyung lee
my cat is an alien
kara-lis coverdale

maybe (and I hope) eric holm few days before

_slavo_ 09.26.2017 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Yeah, I saw Liars way back when they first started to get some buzz. They were insane and droney and noisy and awesome. I'm not sure they would be now though. They've kinda trended downward over the years.


I still listen to Drum's Not Dead from time to time. That album was killer.

Severian 09.26.2017 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
I still listen to Drum's Not Dead from time to time. That album was killer.


Oh, you are not kidding my friend.

That’s actually their best, in my opinion. It’s when all those wild and disparate ideas from their first couple of albums and EPS really came together with some razor sharp focus. It’s the zenith of Liars, and it honestly filled me with hope about their future. I listened to that thing CONSTANTLY when it came out, and it blew me away then as it does now when I deign to put it on (which isn’t often enough). Truly one of the great albums of that decade.

The self-titled album had some insanely good moments too, as did “Sisterworld,” but “WIXIW” didn’t quite hit its mark, and “Mess” was strong for maybe 2 listens. It was around the time of “Mess” that I realized this was no longer a band I was committed to. I don’t even care about that new thing that’s out — that album that’s just Angus Andrew, doing whatever and wearing a dress.

Where did it go wrong? Well, maybe they should have ended it with “Drum’s Not Dead,” because it was all downhill from there even though the next two albums had plenty of sweet spots. But really I think “WIXIW” was the death knell. They tried to zig-left and rebuild as an entirely electronic-type thing, a la the over-referenced Radiohead/Kid A pivot. But while “WIXIW” was OK, I think the fact that it wasn’t great or revelatory should have been a sign to the band, saying, “Hey, fucking do something else!”

Oh well.

Severian 09.26.2017 10:00 AM

Dinosaur Jr. comin’ up.

_tunic_ 10.14.2017 03:55 AM

Today is Lee day in Menen!
- exhibition
- documentary
- acoustic show
- and a bunch of other bands too that I'm not really interested in. Except for Yuri Landman perhaps, it's cool to see him play live

Severian 10.14.2017 05:08 PM

Dinosaur jr is coming up. :D

Drjohnrock 10.14.2017 05:41 PM

October 20, 2017--Flamin' Groovies
November 19, 2017--Webb Wilder
November 21, 2017--Pere Ubu and Johnny Dowd--amazing double bill

greenlight 10.15.2017 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_
Today is Lee day in Menen!
- exhibition
- documentary
- acoustic show
- and a bunch of other bands too that I'm not really interested in. Except for Yuri Landman perhaps, it's cool to see him play live


amazing day. you're lucky up there. he likes to visit yous alright.

greenlight 10.15.2017 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drjohnrock
November 21, 2017--Pere Ubu and Johnny Dowd--amazing double bill


nice

_tunic_ 10.16.2017 09:36 AM

Tonight Low is playing on the organ of one of Holland's prettiest churches
and they'll play WALTZ !!! at least they did in London, so they better do it tonight as well

_slavo_ 11.03.2017 08:35 AM

Lawrence English tonight in Vienna (with greenlight)

d.sound 11.24.2017 02:59 AM

anyone on here in chicago?
i'll be playing the Archer Ballroom on january 27th. all female line-up. come say hi!

also, i live in columbus ohio and play shows about once a month. upcomings are
december 15th & february 2nd, both at the It Looks Like it's Open Gallery.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All content ©2006 Sonic Youth