Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   A Love Supreme (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=55287)

SonicBebs 08.03.2011 08:25 AM

A Love Supreme

i heard this for the 1st time last week, it is such an amazing piece of music. Calling it an album doesn't seem to do it justice, although the 4 parts fit perfectly together.
When i first heard SY i couldn't listen to anything else for ages. Same with Bob Dylan, and i got the same excitement, the same butterflies with this. The piano is fucking incredible!

I'd picked up an old live album by John Coltrane with "a few of my favourite things" on a while back and loved that, but this is different. This isn't human music...

E. Noisefield 08.03.2011 12:24 PM

Are you new to Coltrane in general? ALS is definitely great, but he's done better. I myself am a big fan of Blue Train, and the ear-and-brain-rattling Ascension.

EDIT: why the fuck did I list Sketches of Spain as a Coltrane album?!? Too much acid.

Pookie 08.03.2011 03:04 PM

I have to agree that ALS is on a different level to any of JC's other music, as sublime as that other music is.

Sketches of Spain is a remarkable album but by Miles Davis, not Coltrane.

SonicBebs 08.03.2011 03:25 PM

yeah, apart from that live album, i've not heard him before.

was into Miles and Chalrie Parker and the bop stuff (and a bit of Dave Brubec) but this is a different level

TheDom 08.03.2011 04:21 PM

I have been going through the same thing for the past two weeks. It truly is something else. Coltrane really must have been channeling the spirits on this one. I don't think Coltrane (or music in general) gets much better than this but if you want something that comes close grab Ascension.

eternal 08.03.2011 07:30 PM

Part IV: Psalm is pure genius
Lots of love for Coltrane, im just starting to get into his later stuff (Kulu Se Mama, OM, etc) and its great
Also a big miles fan, "ON the corner" may have the best percussion i have ever heard

E. Noisefield 08.03.2011 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pookie
I have to agree that ALS is on a different level to any of JC's other music, as sublime as that other music is.

Sketches of Spain is a remarkable album but by Miles Davis, not Coltrane.

Oh shit, I can't believe I did that! I've been listening to both these guys since childhood!

Ugh. Facepalm.

edit...

E. Noisefield 08.03.2011 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDom
I have been going through the same thing for the past two weeks. It truly is something else. Coltrane really must have been channeling the spirits on this one. I don't think Coltrane (or music in general) gets much better than this but if you want something that comes close grab Ascension.

Yeah, for me Ascension is his high-mark. That thing is fucking heavenly.

Think it was generally regarded as shite for a long time, but I can see how many would find it hard to swallow.

Mortte Jousimo 08.04.2011 12:25 AM

Very, very great album!!! I think itīs best Jazz album (well I havenīt listened much "pure" jazz, mostly Jazz-rock). I have some Coltraneīs other records too, but theyīre not as great as this.

Mortte Jousimo 08.04.2011 12:29 AM

By the way, Santana and McLaughlin has made a much shorter version from a Love Supreme, itīs ok, but not as great as the original.

Kuhb 08.04.2011 01:34 AM

McCoy Tyner is the pianist on ALS and also on much of Coltrane's 60's work. He was and still is a real beast.

If you enjoy ALS you NEED to get McCoy Tyners "The Real McCoy" It's the same band but with Joe Henderson in for Coltrane and Ron Carter (from the Miles 60's band) in for Garrisson. Absolutely essential, I can't say enough.

SonicBebs 08.04.2011 03:54 AM

cool, ascension and the real mccoy next then!

EvdWee 08.04.2011 04:34 AM

I have Black Pearls, Impressions, Giant Steps and Coltrane Plays the Blues.
I like the last one best.

Pookie 08.04.2011 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E. Noisefield
Oh shit, I can't believe I did that! I've been listening to both these guys since childhood!

Ugh. Facepalm.

edit...

Good to hear Sketches of Spain mentioned at all. My brother bought me this for my 16th birthday and for a 16 year old punk rocker it sounded like something from another planet.

demonrail666 08.04.2011 06:24 AM

I ignored Sketches of Spain for years, always writing it off as a 'jazz album for people who don't really like jazz'. Then I realised that would likely make it ideal for me (insofar as I generally likes the idea of jazz far more than I do the reality) so I got it a couple of years ago and fell in love with it immediately.

ilduclo 08.04.2011 07:23 AM

Joe Henderson and Loius Gasca have played some really great spanish tinged stuff, recco for Born to Love You

as to Tyner, i am really fond of Asante & Extensions, especially

and for more Coltrane look at Nels Cline/Gregg Bendian Intestellar Space Revisted sets, a fantastic performance of which a good recording of which is here

http://duclism.blogspot.com/2011/03/...illy-22o1.html

E. Noisefield 08.04.2011 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pookie
Good to hear Sketches of Spain mentioned at all. My brother bought me this for my 16th birthday and for a 16 year old punk rocker it sounded like something from another planet.

Same here. I was a Black Flag Dead Kennedys kid. Then my uncle bought me "Porgy and Bess" and I was like....... whhhhaaa???? But I loved it. Then Kind of Blue. Then Sketches...

I actually see a lot of similarities between jazz (Contrane especially) and the punk movement. Everybody's always called me full of shit for it, but I swear... Ascension's wildness is like a musical pelude to Iggy Pop's physicality. Does that make sense?

And the connections between SY and jazz are more than clear. SY is pretty punk in nature, so there ya go.

keep poppin pimples 08.04.2011 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E. Noisefield
I actually see a lot of similarities between jazz (Contrane especially) and the punk movement. Everybody's always called me full of shit for it, but I swear... Ascension's wildness is like a musical pelude to Iggy Pop's physicality. Does that make sense?

i'm going to say coltrane's music is way too good to be compared to a skinny shirtless guy writhing around on stage, please

Mortte Jousimo 08.05.2011 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keep poppin pimples
i'm going to say coltrane's music is way too good to be compared to a skinny shirtless guy writhing around on stage, please

Well, I say Stooges is greater than Coltrane altough I think Coltrane is also very great. But itīs just my opinion.

Torn Curtain 08.05.2011 08:36 AM

The Stooges (EDIT: S/T and Funhouse era) obviously drew a lot from free jazz.