Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   I realized that Kim... (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=93940)

Rob Instigator 06.25.2013 08:04 AM

The only bad album is EJST&NS

SonicBebs 06.25.2013 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinkunicornnx
But alot of people say it's a bad album?:/

alot of people are idiots

Toilet & Bowels 06.25.2013 08:25 AM

Don't listen to Rob, ExpJetSet is odd and wonderful. Rather Ripped is the only bad album.

Toilet & Bowels 06.25.2013 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicBebs
alot of people are idiots

Yep. Although there are a couple of tracks on that record that have pretty bad lyrics (Boys go to Jupiter, etc.)

SonicBebs 06.25.2013 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
You will LOVE that rainy day! (Just skip "Satan is Boring" trust me)

isn't Satan Is Boring on bad moon rising?

Toilet & Bowels 06.25.2013 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicBebs
isn't Satan Is Boring on bad moon rising?

Yes, skip it, or buy the original version of BMR that doesn't have it.

A Thousand Threads 06.25.2013 08:39 AM

actually, i think there are a couple of sy records that aren't that good or really interesting:
Dirty
EJTNS
Washing Machine
RR
Eternal

some cool songs on each of those (except for RR), but as a whole, i lost the interest in listening to that records.

Rob Instigator 06.25.2013 09:32 AM

Dirty rules! you gotta turn it up louder.

the original BMR does not have Satan Is Boring on it.

SonicBebs 06.25.2013 10:07 AM

ok, the cd i have does but its the re-issue i think

guest 06.25.2013 10:08 AM

goo is worse than an old woman being gang raped by a bunch of pre-pubescent somalian pirates. shit production, shit songs make for a flat album.

dirty is an improvement, though by no means a great album, because they are making a mockery of how fucking ridiculous the concept of sy making an album like that is.

fuck ejtns h8rs! sweet shine alone is enough to make it a pass. the vibe of that record is a complete outlier in their catalogue. sets the tone for their finest, most rewarding period up to nurse (rr is mediocre, but the eternal has some kickass trax). their most artistically worthwhile output though is indubitably from inception to dn, some of the most far-out rock music ever produced.

Mortte Jousimo 06.25.2013 10:13 AM

There isn´t such a thing as a bad Sy album. I needed time with EJSTANS and Nyc Ghosts but now I think they´re also great.

Rob Instigator 06.25.2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guest
goo is worse than an old woman being gang raped by a bunch of pre-pubescent somalian pirates. shit production, shit songs make for a flat album.

Mote, and Disappearer, and Tunic all rule. RULE.

the only really boring album is Murray street actually. Like nap time at the old folks home.

Toilet & Bowels 06.25.2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Mote, and Disappearer, and Tunic all rule. RULE.

Goo also has Mildred Pierce and Cinderella's Big Score, but yeah, half of that record could have been done away with.

stu666 06.25.2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
There isn´t such a thing as a bad Sy album

THIS!

h8kurdt 06.25.2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinkunicornnx
But alot of people say it's a bad album?:/

It is. Ignore the lovers. They're wrong.

zelocia 06.25.2013 01:41 PM

Goo and Dirty are masterpieces.

Some of the songs on EJST&NS are great: Winner's Blues, Bull In The Heather, STARFIELD ROAD, Doctor's Orders and SWEET SHINE. Some are good: Skink, Screaming Skull, Self-Obsessed and Sexxee. Some are okay: Androgynous Mind, Waist, In The Mind Of The Bourgeois Reader. Tokyo Eye is pretty bad but not as awful as Bone and Quest For The Cup. For some, the lack of Lee makes them not like the album but his vocal absence isn't a big deal for me.

I kind of agree with Steve on Washing Machine, Little Trouble Girl and The Diamond Sea are my favorite songs from that album. Though I do like Skip Tracer too.

NYCG&F is a very good album actually. It took me a few listens but I really appreciate it for what it is and not what its not. But then again, that is how I treat every SY album.

I like Murray Street quite a bit. Sonic Nurse is better but I don't find MS boring at all.

Rather Ripped though is awful. Except for Pink Steam. That song in my opinion is one of their best ever.

The only songs I truly love from The Eternal are Antenna, Malibu Gas Station, Walkin Blue and Massage The History. But the album overall, it's like they were trying too hard.

EVOLghost 06.25.2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stu666
THIS!

This.

You can't/shouldn't take ANY album for granted. While te albums as a whole may suck or sound weird(ahem dirty)....but man they still have some songs that make up for the rest of the album...like that dood said. Pink steam is fucking amazing....reena too....oh and don't forget the neutral :3...the album rather ripped is pretty fucking shitty as a whole. But I will still listen to the fuck out of it.

Rob Instigator 06.25.2013 02:41 PM

I tore your heart out from your chest
replaced it with a grenade blast.

also, I Love You Golden Blue makes me cry, especially listening to it late at night driving around

zelocia 06.25.2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

I tore your heart out from your chest
replaced it with a grenade blast.

also, I Love You Golden Blue makes me cry, especially listening to it late at night driving around

Incinerate is a good song but what ruins it is that it is overrated and repetitive.

I Love You Golden Blue is the most beautiful thing they've ever done. That and Sweet Shine, The Diamond Sea, and Hoarfrost.

Rob Instigator 06.25.2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zelocia
I Love You Golden Blue is the most beautiful thing they've ever done. That and Sweet Shine, The Diamond Sea, and Hoarfrost.

yes.