Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Do you think of Lee as the lead guitarist and Thurston as more of a rhythm guitarist? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=39878)

SonikJesus 05.20.2010 03:45 PM

Do you think of Lee as the lead guitarist and Thurston as more of a rhythm guitarist?

I'm using the terms "Rhythm" and "lead" kind of loosely here given their playing styles. Soometime they just don't fit with those terms. But often times I notice Lee is playing the more lead-y parts while Thurston does more rhythmic parts. I should also note that I don't think one style is better than the other (often times people associate the lead guitarist as being the better player). I'm just wondering what you guys think.

SonikJesus 05.20.2010 03:49 PM

I'm also gonna throw the phrase "Lee'd guitarist" in before anyone starts trying to be witty.

themawt71 05.20.2010 03:54 PM

yeah i think that's the case. especially in the last decade or so where thurston will often bring in a skeletal structure of song and then everyone adds their parts. lee adding his lee'ds!

mote is an example of lee being the rhythm gtr and thurston being the lead gtr.

eternal 05.20.2010 03:59 PM

eric's trip too! many of the lee's songs are like that.

SonikJesus 05.20.2010 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themawt71
yeah i think that's the case. especially in the last decade or so where thurston will often bring in a skeletal structure of song and then everyone adds their parts. lee adding his lee'ds!

I don't know if I'd call that a lead part but I see what you mean. I was going to say in my first post that it might be that way since Thurston sings on a lot of the songs, therefore making his parts more rhythm. Although on Pattern Recognition where Kim sings, it's obvious that Lee is Lead and Thurston Rhythm. I'm sure there's more examples than that. Cross the breeze I guess. Lee totally made that song. No Lee no Melody.

eternal 05.20.2010 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonikJesus
I'm sure there's more examples than that.

sugar kane comes to mind... probably because i listened to it earlier today and thought about how lee is extremely "lee-d" guitarist-y in that song in particular

atsonicpark 05.20.2010 04:16 PM

I dunno, but on nearly every Thurston lead guitar line, he sings the same notes he plays, as Lee joked about on that one chat... heheh.

SonikJesus 05.20.2010 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eternal
sugar kane comes to mind... probably because i listened to it earlier today and thought about how lee is extremely "lee-d" guitarist-y in that song in particular

Yeah, I recently realized that on many songs where if Lee wasn't playing his part the song would be gone. He just "made" so many songs. I guess what i'm trying to say is Lee wrote a lot of the melodies.

eternal 05.20.2010 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I dunno, but on nearly every Thurston lead guitar line, he sings the same notes he plays, as Lee joked about on that one chat... heheh.

i don't blame him! i cant play a lead while singing a totally different melody...that takes ALOT of skill.

atsonicpark 05.20.2010 05:27 PM

It's a cool sound.

akprodr 05.20.2010 05:42 PM

er, how do you know who is playing what? This is something I've always wondered about. Even watching them play, I can't tell who is making what sound.

eternal 05.20.2010 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akprodr
er, how do you know who is playing what? This is something I've always wondered about. Even watching them play, I can't tell who is making what sound.

lee is almost always the left speaker channel, thurston's right. kim/bass is middle :)

SonikJesus 05.21.2010 02:48 AM

Quote:

lee is almost always the left speaker channel, thurston's right. kim/bass is middle :)

true

ni'k 05.21.2010 02:50 AM

Did U Guys See The Porodory Thred?

pbradley 05.21.2010 02:58 AM

chrome noise tape 05.21.2010 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themawt71

that's true. but i think that happens since s.y started ( specially in the thurston's songs )

Dr. Eugene Felikson 05.21.2010 03:41 PM

Quote:

thanks.

shabbray2.0 05.21.2010 03:44 PM

everybody is right.
peaceful thread

atsonicpark 05.21.2010 06:11 PM

Yeah, someone's going to disrupt it any second.

I've noticed that the threads actually about Sonic Youth are usually quite peaceful and calm. Threads about.. oh.. politics.. are usually the most violent ones.............

akprodr 05.21.2010 06:31 PM

Quote:

Buuuttt, how do you figure that out?

On New York, Lou Reed told you who was playing what and where... nice cheat