Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   '00: The Decade Of The Gimmick (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=11292)

Everyneurotic 03.14.2007 12:42 AM

'00: The Decade Of The Gimmick

have you noticed that a large percentage of bands right now and coming out for the last few years have some sort of dumb thing to them besides the music?

one of the most annoying ones are having uniforms/costumes, what the fuck is up with that? there's so many people doing this that you can no longer tell them apart, it's not like "bands with masks suck".

case in point: tonight on letterman, the good the bad and the queen performed and damon albarn and the chicks playing strings were wearing tuxs and top hats, it looked so damn pretentious (but then again, i should have expected something like that from mr. blur); last night, amy winehouse performed and her image was so manufactured it was nauseating, she made avril lavigne look authentic!

what happened to no frills rock n' roll/music? of course, i expect that in a couple of years, a huge backlash will occur kinda like the alterna 90's.

your thoughts? i'm just sick of 95% of bands being image oriented and roughly less than half of them actually having music that is worth tolerating their crap.

Cantankerous 03.14.2007 12:46 AM

just wait until i grow up a little more. i play a killer bass. i have no image.

Everyneurotic 03.14.2007 12:50 AM

why grow? wear high heels.

Cantankerous 03.14.2007 12:52 AM

i'm tall enough. i think i'm 5'8". i wear heels almost every day.

Everyneurotic 03.14.2007 12:54 AM

cool, can't wait to see you teach the kids how it's done.

krastian 03.14.2007 12:58 AM

You do have to admit that Sunn O)))'s cloaks are pretty fucking awesome.

Cantankerous 03.14.2007 12:58 AM

i'm not interested in going platinum and playing SNL. i'm interested in making music. i enjoy making music. there are a lot easier ways of making money, believe me. i wouldn't want to do it if i didn't enjoy it. YOU try playing a big fucking heavy bass in platform shoes.

Everyneurotic 03.14.2007 01:03 AM

well yeah, it's kinda like a parallel thread.

don't get me wrong, i do think there's an awful lot of amazing music out there right now kicking ass and i don't particularly think it's wrong having something besides a couple of people playing instruments going around for a band. the thing is, the vast majority of bands/artists right now are like that, there's no sense of balance and it gets to be sickening.

i mean, bands with gimmicks that are absolutely amazing range from lightning bolt to sunn o))) to polysics. it's not a lack of rock, it's an off center focus on crap besides the music.

Everyneurotic 03.14.2007 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
i'm not interested in going platinum and playing SNL. i'm interested in making music. i enjoy making music. there are a lot easier ways of making money, believe me. i wouldn't want to do it if i didn't enjoy it. YOU try playing a big fucking heavy bass in platform shoes.

i didn't imply you were going to be rich and famous, just that by playing the music you enjoy, you would show people how it's done and i would love to see that.

besides, i can't lie to you, the thought of beginning a glam rock band (the dolls meets too fast for love-era mötley crüe) has crossed my mind.

my ex-bandmates always talked about meeting a&r people and about getting signed, every show was "did we turn people into our band?" dumb shit like that. the duration of the show and the rehearsals were my favorite parts of being in my band.

Cantankerous 03.14.2007 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
i didn't imply you were going to be rich and famous, just that by playing the music you enjoy, you would show people how it's done and i would love to see that.

besides, i can't lie to you, the thought of beginning a glam rock band (the dolls meets too fast for love-era mötley crüe) has crossed my mind.

glam rock bores me. it's the same chuck berry riffs over and over with double entendres and innuendoes for lyrics and glitter eyeliner. teasing your hair wouldn't hurt either.

Everyneurotic 03.14.2007 01:10 AM

i still think mixing too fast for love with the new york dolls would sound more interesting than any marc bolan reenactor.

Cantankerous 03.14.2007 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kegmama
Don't forget the tight leather pants. Savage Cape probably has some you can borrow...
Is 'Glam Rock' still considered the same thing I call 'Cock Rock'?

i have leather pants. and silver sparkly boots.

Everyneurotic 03.14.2007 01:16 AM

Quote:

i have leather pants.

i don't, that's hyper gay.

i rather go in spandex.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kegamama
Don't forget the tight leather pants. Savage Cape probably has some you can borrow...

glam rock:
the dolls
t rex
bowie
slade
sweet
roxy music
gary glitter

glam metal a.k.a. hair metal:
poison
the crüe
warrant
quiet riot
w.a.s.p.
bon jovi
cinderella
dokken

i vaguely recall people naming guns n' roses and l.a. guns cock rock so i'm not sure. then again, i've heard the cock rock tag applied to ac/dc and the stooges.

Cantankerous 03.14.2007 01:19 AM

Quote:

i don't, that's hyper gay.

i rather go in spandex.

glam rock:
the dolls
bowie
slade
sweet
roxy music
gary glitter

glam metal a.k.a. hair metal:
poison
the crüe
warrant
quiet riot
w.a.s.p.
bon jovi
cinderella
dokken

i vaguely recall people naming guns n' roses and l.a. guns cock rock so i'm not sure. then again, i've heard the cock rock tag applied to ac/dc and the stooges.

i'm a chick. i can get away with it. i also have silver hot pants but i don't wear those in combination with the silver boots. OVERKILL.

roxy music is like glam avantgarde.

Everyneurotic 03.14.2007 01:23 AM

Quote:

... i also have silver hot pants but i don't wear those in combination with the silver boots. OVERKILL...

you would look like a walking solar panel.

k-krack 03.14.2007 01:32 AM

With certain bands, I don't mind it... like it, even!
A couple bands that spring to mind are The Locust and White Mice, both awesome bands, both where the costume is like... a part of the band. The Locust kick fucking ass, and they adorn some costumes for performing, fine, what do I give a fuck?
White Mice, same thing, but it's more like a... half-joke band. They still kick ass harder than most.
Hell, when I finally play my first show, maybe even a few after it, I'll probably don some form of facial distortion, or something to get eyes off me. Not because I can't play, but because I'm fucking nervous as hell. I'll get used to it eventually, but for a while, whatever!

ZEROpumpkins 03.14.2007 02:15 AM

I think everyone is rejecting modern bands at the moment, and have turned back to 90's and before. Eventually, we will get the kind of bands we got in the 90's and music will be good again. Garuntee.

jon boy 03.14.2007 04:40 AM

Quote:

^ No doubt! Playing guitar and actually rocking in a pair of 4" stilletos and a skirt is no joke!

I can't understand the mindset of people who play to pay. I mean the people that are only interested in producing music they can make money off of and mass produce. No talent is needed for that shit. And those fucks have no sense of understanding of what music is really all about.
It's a feeling. An emotion. An orgasm for your ears and soul.

repped.

sonicl 03.14.2007 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
I think everyone is rejecting modern bands at the moment, and have turned back to 90's and before. Eventually, we will get the kind of bands we got in the 90's and music will be good again. Garuntee.

I can't say I can think of any music from the '90s that I would like to see make a comeback. Looking back it was a fairly uninspiring decade.

raging_nelly 03.14.2007 06:02 AM

When will it all end? Already people are starting to say 'there are no gimmicks with us' and this in itself its kinda becoming a gimmick...

its like a never ending circle... as opposed to an ending one...

sarramkrop 03.14.2007 02:55 PM

Quote:

have you noticed that a large percentage of bands right now and coming out for the last few years have some sort of dumb thing to them besides the music?

one of the most annoying ones are having uniforms/costumes, what the fuck is up with that? there's so many people doing this that you can no longer tell them apart, it's not like "bands with masks suck".

case in point: tonight on letterman, the good the bad and the queen performed and damon albarn and the chicks playing strings were wearing tuxs and top hats, it looked so damn pretentious (but then again, i should have expected something like that from mr. blur); last night, amy winehouse performed and her image was so manufactured it was nauseating, she made avril lavigne look authentic!

what happened to no frills rock n' roll/music? of course, i expect that in a couple of years, a huge backlash will occur kinda like the alterna 90's.

your thoughts? i'm just sick of 95% of bands being image oriented and roughly less than half of them actually having music that is worth tolerating their crap.

I think that it was one of the guys in Sparks who said recently that there are lot of bands who look great these days but sound awful.

Trasher02 03.14.2007 03:03 PM

I know we're heading towards a sad future.

Rob Instigator 03.14.2007 03:06 PM

Quote:

glam rock and cock rock intermingle but one is not the other. david bowie was glam but not cock
van halen was cock rock but not glam
there are a lot that mix it up though.

my favorite category of rock was created by my friends willord and michael

RUMMY ROCK. That is how they describe bands like Bad Company, ELO, Eddie Money, bar bands made good basically.

!@#$%! 03.14.2007 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trasher02
I know we're heading towards a sad future.

boo fucking hoo!

no! no!

I REFUSE

there's been manufactured crap since the days of chubby checker for fucks sakes. let's quit talking like doomsaying abuelitas -- impale life with joy!

carve your own hole & make yourself a space, of course the future (and the present and the past ) are "sad" if you must rely on external circumstances for your well being. adapt or die like alemming!!

& while you're at it read "candide", a most instructive XVIII century book

--
edits: i mean to say doomsaying not naysaying. and then rats are some of the most adaptable little shits-- lemmings on the other hand die in hordes. there.

ZEROpumpkins 03.15.2007 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
I can't say I can think of any music from the '90s that I would like to see make a comeback. Looking back it was a fairly uninspiring decade.

Well not exactly bands that started in the 90's, but there were some great albums released. Band I'm talking about are:
Radiohead
Nirvana
Sonic Youth's 90's stuff
Pavement
Pearl Jam
Chili's 90's stuff
Slint
Primus

But if you aren't a fan of many of those bands then I see your point.

Cantankerous 03.15.2007 01:37 AM

the 80s was an infinitely better decade than the 90s as far as music goes. i'm not saying that there was no good music to come out during the 90s - i like a fair bit of the music that came out then. "alternative" rock (an alternative to what, exactly?) kind of lost its lustre during the 90s with the advent of lollapalooza and the mass normalization and popularity of the genre.

k-krack 03.15.2007 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins

(late response) but...what, like fucking Pagoda? FUCK THAT.

But the '90s, the majority of it was laaaame. The underground was rad, don't get me wrong. But like, five well-known bands of every million were good. And they could not be imitated (NIRVANA. Note that everyone who tries to be Nirvana sucks fucking ass... see above...)

val-holla-ing 03.15.2007 10:22 AM

when you think about it, gimmicks have been in rock and roll since the very beginning from chuck berry being a slick dressed sonofabitch to the boy bands from the british invasion to the sex pistols (haha). there's nothing wrong with having a gimmick, but i think the issue is more with bands that rely on the gimmick to get them recognized.

with that said, slipknot rules...fear the mask.

Everyneurotic 03.15.2007 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by val-holla-ing
when you think about it, gimmicks have been in rock and roll since the very beginning from chuck berry being a slick dressed sonofabitch to the boy bands from the british invasion to the sex pistols (haha). there's nothing wrong with having a gimmick, but i think the issue is more with bands that rely on the gimmick to get them recognized.

with that said, slipknot rules...fear the mask.

yes, but my point was that lately, every single band seems to have a gimmick, and from every strain and genre and scene, whether before it was more distributed and less obiquious. there was always people doing it and people reacting to them, now it seems everyone is doing it.

again, i'm not saying it's new or that it's wrong, i'm asking why is everyone doing it? it's been so overdone i'm sick of it.

!@#$%! 03.15.2007 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swa(y)
i dissagree...i dont think skip james or mississippi john hurt had gimmicks. i just think they felt something and needed to get it out.

??

max 03.15.2007 10:45 AM

i think this is pretty much surreal. what are you kids complaining about? corporate markets will always try to sell you a product. there's lots of killer music around the net, and it's actually for free, too.

examples?
SMALL WHITE comes to mind. TRUSTY BLACK SHEEP is another. JOEL NOBODY. THE TWEETER SMILIES. THE REPLICATORS. a lot of the bands on our myspace friends list, and so forth. and those are just UNSIGNED musicians... to begin with. i mean, why complaining? i dig this current period of time when with little money you can make decent sounding things and let them be heard around the world.

let's start supporting it.

Everyneurotic 03.15.2007 10:46 AM

can't miss a chance to plug your band, uh?

Brett Robinson 03.15.2007 12:10 PM

music is great and all, but if i'm going to see someone PERFORM, why would i want to just see some dude wearing the same clothes he's been wearing for four days straight? If I'm going to look at the stage, I want something visual. If you're so opposed to gimmicks and image, play in complete darkness.

Marilyn Manson's stage shows are entertaining. Sunn o)))'s smoke machines are entertaining.

What really gets my goat is all the noise acts that are so focused on negativity, death, blood, mutilation, and other socially undesirable traits. People trying to be "extreme." Wasn't Whitehouse doing that shtick in the early 80s?

I'd rather see someone with a shtick than sit there watching a dude click his mouse on his ibook. . .

sarramkrop 03.15.2007 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brett Robinson

What really gets my goat is all the noise acts that are so focused on negativity, death, blood, mutilation, and other socially undesirable traits. People trying to be "extreme." Wasn't Whitehouse doing that shtick in the early 80s?

I'd rather see someone with a shtick than sit there watching a dude click his mouse on his ibook. . .

There is a lot of truth in that.I find a lot of young bands either too keen on shallow rock n roll lifesyles or too intensely into the whole destruction/ self destruction thing.When both become as sterile as they have, it is not fun anymore.I have a real problem with, say, one- dimensional bands like Radiohead who seem devoid of any humour or more light- hearted spirit in their music.I mean, do they literally spend the whole time being that fucking miserable?I doubt it.

!@#$%! 03.15.2007 12:18 PM

hey when we talk about gimmicks please let's not forget LEGS!

sarramkrop 03.15.2007 12:23 PM

!@#$%! 03.15.2007 12:25 PM

LEGS

TITS + LEGS

NICE PAIR OF GIMMICKS

!@#$%! 03.15.2007 12:38 PM

Everyneurotic 03.15.2007 12:47 PM

kill this fucking thread already, i was just voicing an opinion about heard mentality only to encountering that in the people of the board.

i bet 5 years ago and in 5 years time all of you are going to go "where is barebones rock n' roll? i can't identify with a dude who's wearing costumes and facepaint!!"

something 03.15.2007 05:13 PM

GWAR!!!