Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Is This a Good School? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=6617)

static-harmony 10.02.2006 09:29 PM

Is This a Good School?

http://www.pratt.edu/

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 10.02.2006 09:36 PM

A good school is a cheap one. That way if you don't like it, you don't feel like you wasted a shitload of money quitting. (This is from experience.)

Also, A LOT of people end up taking more than 4 years to graduate now a days.

“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.” - Frank Zappa

Find a college with lots of pretty girls and a nice big library!

static-harmony 10.02.2006 09:37 PM

I see, I don't think I am cut out for college in terms of classes that I might not need like math or some science, in the terms of meeting some criteria they had set. I just want to study photography without taking these other classes.

porkmarras 10.02.2006 09:39 PM

I wear this crown of thorns...................

static-harmony 10.02.2006 09:41 PM

SO you must be the virgin mary.

golden child 10.02.2006 10:12 PM

no you stupid, jesus, JESUS wore the crown of thorns not mary.

you do need schooling afterall methinks.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 10.02.2006 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by static-harmony
I see, I don't think I am cut out for college in terms of classes that I might not need like math or some science, in the terms of meeting some criteria they had set. I just want to study photography without taking these other classes.

If you just want to study photography, I'd say go to a public school as a part time student. It won't be too expensive, and they'll have good classes.

static-harmony 10.02.2006 10:55 PM

but I'm not a high school student, and most school want you to get some other classes, also I want to get a bachelor in photography at least.

Cantankerous 10.02.2006 10:57 PM

i wouldn't know, but you can't really tell from the website.

static-harmony 10.02.2006 10:58 PM

yeah you are right on that, Fuck I don't get vacations till next year, so I am screwed, but that is not the only one I am applying to though.

sonic sphere 10.03.2006 08:45 AM

with a name like that it must be good

static-harmony 10.03.2006 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonic sphere
with a name like that it must be good

I sense sarcams.

Danny Himself 10.03.2006 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by static-harmony
I sense sarcams.

'Pratt' is a derogatory term in England. It's like going to 'Douche University' or something.

atari 2600 10.03.2006 10:52 AM

It's were I wanted to go after high school, but never did. They sent me literature which led to applications for and offers of partial scholarships even. I also planned on making sure to get some classes in at the Arts Student League.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
A good school is a cheap one. That way if you don't like it, you don't feel like you wasted a shitload of money quitting. (This is from experience.)

This isn't bad advice if you're not sure about what it is you want to do. I went to a community college for the first year because they offered me a full scholarship (I left anyway the second year), my girlfriend at the time went there, and the credits are accredited and transferable anyway. I was also deeply despondent over not being able to finance my way to Pratt and tensions in my parents' house because I was appointed but resisted going to the U.S. Naval Academy.

Quote:

Also, A LOT of people end up taking more than 4 years to graduate now a days.

All the extra requirements that have been added (under the umbrella term "multiculturalism") are, of course, merely revenue boosters for the institutions. It's bullshit that you cannot be out of there in four years anymore.

Quote:

“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.” - Frank Zappa.

Those are jewels of wisdom.

Quote:

Find a college with lots of pretty girls and a nice big library!

If this is your creedo, then The University of Georgia in Athens, Ga is the school for you!

static-harmony 10.03.2006 04:33 PM

Yeah I already know what I want to study and it is photography, I need more info on their program.

schizophrenicroom 10.03.2006 06:37 PM

i've heard a lot of good things about it, mostly about the photography program.