Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Smashing Pumpkins (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=59763)

RanaldoNecro 10.06.2011 01:05 PM

I am not sure why people still dislike TSP. They are essentially a cult band very far from commercial success and overexposure.

They have been publicly humiliated and make low key releases.

nicfit 10.06.2011 01:26 PM

they'll play 300 meters from my house, and I won't go.

canabero 10.20.2011 06:48 PM

i loved TSP, it was a great band. a real alternative band.

who's up for a blumpkin 10.20.2011 07:48 PM

I used to be a diehard fan back in the day, but sadly I can see the joke they've become. I think in their heyday they were better than Nirvana, Pearl Jam and all the angstmongers combined. I still stand by all 5 first-run albums and Pisces Iscariot and Aeroplane. They never made the same album twice. I think I'm the only person on the planet who liked Machina. The perfect prog-jam, shoegaze pop and new wave cocktail. I would've produced it differently, but I don't think anybody's allowed to drag Billy away from the compressors, reverb knobs and fuzzboxes.

who's up for a blumpkin 10.20.2011 07:52 PM

Billy's an egomaniac, James and D'Arcy were basically mannequins... but there's no denying Jimmy Chamberlin is one of the greatest drummers on the fucking planet!

the ikara cult 10.20.2011 08:04 PM

i could never love them, but ill always like them

ann ashtray 10.20.2011 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RanaldoNecro
I am not sure why people still dislike TSP. They are essentially a cult band very far from commercial success and overexposure.

They have been publicly humiliated and make low key releases.

I think they were pretty commercially successful. Not sure what commercial success/lack thereof has to do with anything. Billy himself said the band broke up because he was tired of competing with the "Brittany Spears of this world". Very easy to find angry 15 years old angry females (and yeah, males too. Just always seemed as if they had/have a larger female following) drooling over Billy.

I pretty much always thought the Pumpkins sucked. Of course there are a few songs I enjoy, but that doesn't mean much. Billy, far me, falls short as an artist and as a person.

tesla69 06.02.2016 04:29 PM

I don't care for his music but he's talking sense these days

http://www.infowars.com/threat-to-fr...n-free-speech/

pepper_green 06.14.2016 09:17 PM

the SmPu are the shittist band that ever lived.

Severian 06.14.2016 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tesla69
I don't care for his music but he's talking sense these days

http://www.infowars.com/threat-to-fr...n-free-speech/

I thought his interview on InfoWars was absurd. Embarrassing. The guy's half libertarian, half "progressive" ... He talks nonsense about the "social justice" movement, and ends up coming across as kind of a right-wing-by-way-of-left-wing nutjob. Comparing celebrities who make non-PC tweets to protestors in Selma (and/or the social media "hurt feelings" crowd to freaking Jim Crow cronies.

The man's a fool and he's off his rocker. Speaks volumes that the most reputable media attention he gets is for appearing on a conspiracy theory talk show, and shitting on "social justice warriors" for trying to hold all people to a higher standard.

Conversations about Billy Corgan must be kept separate from conversations about the music of the Smashing Pumpkins.

pepper_green 06.14.2016 09:49 PM

out on tour with the smashing dickheads.

ONMCOe ew wi was a BOYYYYYYY!!! awe god help me~

mellon collie and the killing me with sadness and the dark side of the drug addiction pumpkins.

perverts. clowns of classic rock. quiet riot of the 90's. a voice that annoys the ages.

Peterpuff 06.15.2016 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepper_green
out on tour with the smashing dickheads.

Nature kids, they don't have no function...

I quite enjoyed Siamese Dream, and still do actually. Not just the album, but that tour. Those were some great live songs for me, sorry if others disagree. Soma was extraordinarily atmospheric (with what I still say was one of the best "hitting" sections I have every witnessed), the power of Geek USA kicked my nuts in, And the drums of Silverfuck just bashed me upside the head. Now, granted, I was that little 16 year old at the time you are mentioning, and had only seen a handful of live shows by then, but the comments hold true. That album and tour spoke to me, and I still enjoy it very much to this day, be it the blind nostalgia or whatever.

But Mellon Collie and everything after really wore me thin. Albums and shows. Corgan just became such crap...

I will always stand behind SD and Gish though as solid rock albums.