Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Will you laugh at me when I say I really love Dead Can Dance? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=19664)

_slavo_ 02.12.2008 05:56 PM

Will you laugh at me when I say I really love Dead Can Dance?

Come on, they used to be just amazing.

SYRFox 02.12.2008 05:57 PM

I don't know them much but from what I heard they're good

Everyneurotic 02.12.2008 05:59 PM

i've always meant to give them a serious listen.

i know plenty of people who love them.

gmku 02.12.2008 06:19 PM

I don't know much about them.

✌➬ 02.12.2008 06:22 PM

I heard one girl in my photo class talk about them, never had the chance to give them a listen.

RdTv 02.12.2008 06:25 PM

Like most of you, I've heard the name tossed around and it never really ocurred to me that I should listen to them, maybe it was the people who dropped the name....

Everyneurotic 02.12.2008 06:28 PM

they are an atmospheric goth band with gregorian chants and stuff like that.

some of it crosses to enya territory but i hear some of their stuff is actually really good. as i said, i haven't heard them really, apart from a song or two.

alteredcourse 02.12.2008 06:29 PM

for some reason i love to play them on my days off while im at home in a productive sort of mood , like cleaning or painting or writing (non-studying ) . they have good vibes .

but when i am apart of the daily grind , commuting to work etc , i find them to be very boring and overly dramatic .

*shrug

RdTv 02.12.2008 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic

some of it crosses to enya territory but i hear some of their stuff is actually really good. as i said, i haven't heard them really, apart from a song or two.

Its funny you say that they are kinda sorta goth band, because ''goth-esque'' is the best way to describe the people who mentioned their love for them.

super_charger 02.12.2008 07:55 PM

Their studio efforts are OK, but the live album "Toward the Within" blows me away. Definately more of a world music than goth vibe on that album.

Cantankerous 02.12.2008 07:55 PM

no i wont laugh
theyre ok although not really what i tend to gravitate towards musically

the ikara cult 02.12.2008 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic

Is that Cure-y?

uhler 02.12.2008 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the ikara cult
Is that Cure-y?

no.

i like a few of their songs. i have one album of theirs on my old computer. it's nice music to listen to when you just want to sit in a chair or lay in bed and relax your mind a bit.

Everyneurotic 02.12.2008 11:38 PM

nah, they have like polyrhythms and percussion too. it's kinda like adult contemporary goth, if i remember correctly.

_slavo_ 02.13.2008 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by super_charger
Their studio efforts are OK, but the live album "Toward the Within" blows me away. Definately more of a world music than goth vibe on that album.

Ha, that's actually the only one I don't really like. You're right with the world music touch on that one - that's also the reason I'm not so keen on it.

However, "Within the realm of a dying sun", "The Serpent's egg", "Into the Labyrinth" and "A passage in Time" are albums well worth listening. Some beauty there for sure.

Green Magnesium 02.13.2008 02:45 AM

Pretty stuff. He has such a sexy voice. They're about as pretentious as you can get and loathed by many, but their live stuff can be tremendous.

gualbert 02.13.2008 04:22 AM

The first album is amazing , more cold wave than new-age-goth-medieval-whatever , with almost only guitar/bass/drums. A must in the genre.

Tokolosh 02.13.2008 04:26 AM

The Serpent's Egg and Aion is a good albums.

sonicl 02.13.2008 04:27 AM

I used to love DCD when they were a typical 4AD band, but I lost interest as they moved more towards the atmospheric world music stuff. The first two or three albums are stunning though.

sarramkrop 02.13.2008 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokolosh
The Serpent's Egg and Aion is a good albums.

Yep. I saw them live a couple of years ago. They weren't that good but not too shabby either.