Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   sonic youth on MTV 2 right now (1:00) U.S. subteranian (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=5114)

SolidZach 08.14.2006 12:14 AM

sonic youth on MTV 2 right now (1:00) U.S. subteranian

yup, its on now

Cantankerous 08.14.2006 12:17 AM

more like "ooh, an army commercial on mtv!!"

Ripchord 08.14.2006 12:53 AM

ooh, aah, video for Do You Believe In Rapture?

Daddylikes 08.14.2006 12:53 AM

man. you are so unique and special. revolutionary...

really.

Ripchord 08.14.2006 01:05 AM

"Hell yeah, man, Ashlee Simpson rocks, dude. JoJo? Asskicking."

Pax Americana 08.14.2006 01:10 AM

That was cool, even though they were only on for like 3 really quick segments. The video for "Rapture" was cool, way better than the "Incinerate" one at least.

krastian 08.14.2006 02:10 AM

That one guy was like, "Damn I wish we had more time to talk." Uhhhh, talk to yr producers about not bringing them in for 75 second intervals half way through the show.......even though they always do that crap.

Alex's Trip 08.14.2006 02:14 AM

I have it recorded...

krastian 08.14.2006 02:18 AM

I recorded it too. The Rapture video came out pretty nice. I liked the touch at the end where they show Steve finishing up the song with his mallets.....yeah I'm a geek.

Alex's Trip 08.14.2006 02:25 AM

I would watch it now, but my mom is watching TV, but I think she fell asleep with the remote in her hand. Its getting late anyway....

atari 2600 08.14.2006 02:59 AM

I missed it.

SolidZach 08.14.2006 03:17 AM

yeah, i taped it, to bad it kindof sucked and I cant spell.

Ono Soul 08.14.2006 12:53 PM

The "Do You Believe In Rapture?" video was not quite what I was expecting, but I really dug it. The slow mo footage of the CBGB's performance was perfect for the song, I thought. I really like the "Incinerate" video to. It's cool because the director took something as common as a straight ahead performance vid and totally subverted it with all those extreme close ups.

Alex's Trip 08.14.2006 01:14 PM

I watched it. It was okay. Some lame songs. Hardly any Youth. I still have it tivo'd. I wish I knew how to get it on the computer for all you guys, but I lack the equipment.

GeneticKiss 08.14.2006 02:30 PM

I saw it...maybe if they had Kim and Thurston on at the beginning of the show like they do everyone else, they might've had more time to talk...

As far as the videos go, besides Sonic Youth, Thom Yorke, Minus The Bear and the Streets were good-though I think I might've liked the songs better than the videos-the rest were kind of overdshadowed by the older videos by Suede and PJ Harvey that I was switching between on VH1 Classic's "The Alternative"...

MTV2 has really gone downhill recently ever since MTV decided to move the videos to MTV2 while MTV does straight-up "Road Rules" (is that still on?) and "Punk'd"-type crap, so that means all the pop and hip-hop bullshit gets dumped all over the more underground-type stuff that used to be the rule rather than the exception on there. And who's idea was it to have those damn blue and pink signs that kept popping up (blocking the view of the video, no lesss)? Whatever happened to tasteful, inconspicous printing in the corner giving information about the artist, song type, album name and director of the video? "You are watching 'Subterranean'"-no shit, I was afraid I'd forget!

krastian 08.14.2006 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneticKiss
the rest were kind of overdshadowed by the older videos by Suede and PJ Harvey that I was switching between on VH1 Classic's "The Alternative"...

Ha ha ha.....same here. I watched the Thom one (still haven't heard the record) and that's about it. Did you catch Root Down on that Alternative show?

Ono Soul 08.14.2006 05:26 PM

LOL! That's what I was doing to. I couldn't get through most of those videos on Subterranean so I was flippin' around and landed on VH1 Classic a couple times. They play some pretty cool stuff on the alternative show. I've even seen a couple SY videos on there, come to think of it.

schizophrenicroom 08.14.2006 05:30 PM

what's the point of having guests if 3/4s of the hour it's on is commercials?

sy.com said they were co-hosting. i got all excited. i like jim shearer, but t and k for a whole hour (or.. three 75-second segments) would have been neat. at least jim is a nice guy. he seems to really enjoy and KNOW less-mainstreamy artists, not just those brainless fuse "yeah, i love hawthorne heights man, ALTERNATIVE!" guys. mtv sucks so much, though. at least they show beavis and butthead sort of sporadically.

that css (cansei de ser sucky.. whatever) band are blech. they all look twelve.

greenlight 08.14.2006 05:36 PM

i've no tv here and i'm not from us.
so was it like video using a live footage of sy?

Ono Soul 08.14.2006 05:39 PM

Yeah, it was footage of their recent CBGB's show, mainly in slow-mo which suits the song really well. Quite dramatic!