Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

Rob Instigator 04.08.2010 01:36 PM

I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(go watch barton fink)

atsonicpark 04.08.2010 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
I havent seen Barton.

You're missing out. My highest reccomendation!

noisereductions 04.08.2010 02:40 PM

I remember that the bullies in the Simpsons really liked it.

ilduclo 04.08.2010 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Coens once said they wanted to work in every genre. have they?

I'd go

1. No Country For Old Men
2. Fargo
3. Big Lebowski
4. Barton Fink
5. Raising Arizona
6. Miller's Crossing

I did not and do not enjoy Hudsucker Proxy. I was bored by the pointless Burn After Reading. I turnd off Oh Brother Wher art Thou

I'd go

Miller's Crossing
Fargo
The Man who Wasn't There
A Serious Man

the reason I don't like No Country is that it's really a correct interpretation of the Cormac book, so the Coens do not do their usual snappy dialog. If they made their OWN border movie, which would be GREAT, I'm sure, there would be some really nice dialog, especially among the gang members. Being that Cormac is maybe a little more racist than is generally seen (IMO) the Mexicans are really shorted in favor of the white folks in the movie, but that is how the book was, so it is a very good Cormac movie, but I don't think it should be top of the Coens.....

Rob Instigator 04.08.2010 03:45 PM

it made me feel strange!

batreleaser 04.08.2010 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilduclo
I'd go

Miller's Crossing
Fargo
The Man who Wasn't There
A Serious Man

the reason I don't like No Country is that it's really a correct interpretation of the Cormac book, so the Coens do not do their usual snappy dialog. If they made their OWN border movie, which would be GREAT, I'm sure, there would be some really nice dialog, especially among the gang members. Being that Cormac is maybe a little more racist than is generally seen (IMO) the Mexicans are really shorted in favor of the white folks in the movie, but that is how the book was, so it is a very good Cormac movie, but I don't think it should be top of the Coens.....

Cormac McCarthy is my favorite novelist, well second behind Faulkner anyways. I've heard my professors talk about his alleged racism, but I don't see it. In "Blood Meridian" for instance, violence is the end all. It breaks down the old Hollywood themes of heroic cowbows v. indian savages and newer archetypes of sociopath cowboys stripping natives of their land. In BM, violence is the only solution, and no group of people are any more brutal than any other. Except the Judge, who stands alone.

I thought the Coens' film was a perfect interpretation of McCarthy. NCFOM was McCarthy's stab at pulp, it was a crime novel but still riddled with tons of philosophy and beautiful prose. The Coens kept close to the novel but made it distinctly theirs.

I'm really excited to see what Todd FIelds does with the Blood Meridian adaptation. It really is the most ambitious adaptation since Moby Dick. Has anyone heard who is being looked at to play the Judge? There can't be many 7 footers out there who can act. I think John Lithgow could work.

demonrail666 04.08.2010 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batreleaser
Barton Fink has horror elements for sure.

I love Barton Fink but last time I watched it I couldn't get over how much they'd taken from eraserhead, even down to John Turturro's haircut.

For the record, my five fave Coen Bros films:

Fargo
Blood Simple
The Big Lebowski
Barton Fink
Miller's Crossing

Pookie 04.08.2010 04:25 PM

Surely any Coen Bros top 5 should include Raising Arizona?

Surely.

demonrail666 04.08.2010 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I just can't get into his style at all. To me, it's the same criticisms leveled at Michael Bay -- big, bloated, messy, hard-to-watch (too many cuts!), silly in a BAD way -- but, omigod, Gilliam is so "surreal" so it's "okay". Haha. Even if I liked his movies, he's still an idiot, as a human being, have you guys ever read any interviews with him? Jesus.

I don't hate him outright, though, his animated sequences for Monty Python were good.

I agree. His Python cartoons are great but his feature films are too all over the place for me. I can understand why some people might like that about them though.

I tend to like flabby short films and ultra-tight feature films. Anyone wanting to know how to make the perfect tight-as-Miley feature should just watch Bresson's A Man Escaped, Spielberg's Duel or Jaws, or Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13. Zero flab. That takes real talent.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pookie
Surely any Coen Bros top 5 should include Raising Arizona?

Surely.

It's in my top 6, for sure.

atsonicpark 04.08.2010 06:39 PM

Blood Simple seriously makes me cum. What an atmosphere.

I've been watching the jeff keen dvd. Love his shit, surprised how similiar some of it is to my stuff.

tw2113 04.08.2010 07:28 PM

Addams Family Values

logicalharm 04.08.2010 08:26 PM

Central Station...it was lovely!

demonrail666 04.09.2010 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I've been watching the jeff keen dvd. Love his shit, surprised how similiar some of it is to my stuff.

Oi, a bit of respect please. your stuff is similar to jeff keen's, not the other way around.

atsonicpark 04.09.2010 01:46 AM

Hah, you know what I meant. But anyway, surprised how similiar a lot of my stuff is to his, I mean... considering I'd never seen any of it before.

As far as experimental films go, he's the real deal imo, some of that shit is just so mindboggling, how he'd set up these really really elaborate shots for about less than 1 second of screen time. Never having a chance to rest my eyes at all. Just insane.

demonrail666 04.09.2010 01:57 AM

Jeff Keen is a genius, full stop. That DVD is brilliant. His stuff was impossible to get hold of for so long.

atsonicpark 04.09.2010 02:04 AM

It's funny, I ordered it off of ebay, the seller told me it was region 0, it ended up being region 2, but he let me keep the dvd, and he refunded my money ($50). I burnt the discs to actual region 0 discs and then sold the dvd to a friend who only watches movies on his laptop anyway. So, I got the dvd's, and made a profit off of them.

My favorite stuff is the home movie shit, with the 4 screens. Everything he does is so.. extreme. I love it.

batreleaser 04.09.2010 11:35 AM

Just realized no one has mentioned Miller's Crossing. I love that movie, great crime drama. I think Gabriel Byrne has to be one of the best, and coolest, actors to never get an Oscar nom.

Rob Instigator 04.09.2010 11:40 AM

I put Miller's Crossing

love that flick

so much double and triple crossing!

atsonicpark 04.09.2010 05:58 PM

Gabriel Byrne, ugh. GOTHIC is one of the worst films ever made, he's so terrible in it that it's hilarious. Miller's Crossing is good but it gets old to me.

demonrail666 04.09.2010 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batreleaser
Just realized no one has mentioned Miller's Crossing. I love that movie, great crime drama. I think Gabriel Byrne has to be one of the best, and coolest, actors to never get an Oscar nom.

Yeah, I like Millers Crossing a lot. And yeah, it's weird if its true that Gabriel Byrne has never received even an oscar nomination. Another weird oscar thing, has 'Best Film' ever gone to a foreign language film?