Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   kayo dot... (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=14184)

pbradley 03.22.2009 12:57 AM

Actually, I've been listening to these guys again since they seem perfect for the post-rock/prog mix I'm making for some friends. "Symmetrical Arizona" sounds pretty King Crimson-y to me which should be a hit with said friends.

Derek 03.22.2009 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbradley
I downloaded a Kayo Dot album a while back ago and found it completely boring.

You're not listening hard enough then.

:)

atsonicpark 03.22.2009 06:51 AM

Just remember: ANYONE CAN DIG A HOLE BUT IT TAKES A REAL MAN TO CALL IT HOME

Derek 03.22.2009 06:52 AM

Actually I'm assuming he listened to 'Blue Lambency Downward' which is a BIT more difficult to latch onto... that one takes a while to sink in... I really didn't like it at first but now I find it quite enjoyable. Not as good as the first two in my opinion though.

pbradley, I command you to listen to Choirs of the Eye and all it's glory!!

atsonicpark 03.22.2009 06:57 AM

It's all good. I don't find 'em difficult to listen to at all. Then again I don't find 'em rewarding either. Their stuff seems pretty straightforward to me, aside from a few songs here or there. They just have really brilliant, beautiful songwriting. A completely unique band. So many layers of... stuff. Haha. Dowsing... is my favorite album by them, mainly for that one REALLY REALLY LONG SONG that has the Sunn O)))-ish ending.

Derek 03.22.2009 07:01 AM

Yeah Dowsing is my favourite also!! It has a much more organic... avant-garde sound to is I suppose. Choirs of the Eye sort of leans to much on post-rock crescendos (something I'm not a fan of) and huge metal parts (something else that I'm not a fan of).

I dunno, I don't find them difficult but when BLD came out, I did find it hard to really 'connect' with.

atsonicpark 03.22.2009 07:03 AM

That's a much better way of putting it, and I can see that. It drifts around a lot. I treat it more like ambient music than the other two.

pbradley 03.22.2009 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
Actually I'm assuming he listened to 'Blue Lambency Downward' which is a BIT more difficult to latch onto... that one takes a while to sink in... I really didn't like it at first but now I find it quite enjoyable. Not as good as the first two in my opinion though.

It's hilarious that you need to construct some rational in order to dismiss my opinion as ignorance and not accept it as a matter of preference.

And it was Choirs of the Eye that I listened to.

I don't find them difficult, just boring.

WHOREOHSCOPE 04.09.2009 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek

Blue Lambency was my first Kayo Dot experience, loved it. Getting into Maudlin now. Any boardies have Toby Driver solo or Tartar Lamb?

Derek 04.09.2009 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbradley
It's hilarious that you need to construct some rational in order to dismiss my opinion as ignorance and not accept it as a matter of preference.

And it was Choirs of the Eye that I listened to.

I don't find them difficult, just boring.

Yeah that's fine. Chill.

Derek 04.09.2009 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WHOREOHSCOPE
Blue Lambency was my first Kayo Dot experience, loved it. Getting into Maudlin now. Any boardies have Toby Driver solo or Tartar Lamb?

http://www.sordomusic.com/db/ this has download links to both of those albums if that's what you want.

Derek 12.13.2009 12:39 PM

http://www3.timeoutny.com/newyork/th...on-the-volume/ New track if no one's posted it...

Derek 12.13.2009 12:41 PM

And yes, everyone should listen to Yusef Lateef.

atsonicpark 04.22.2010 02:33 AM

coyot...ehhhhhhhhh.

dionysusundone 05.02.2010 04:45 AM

I like "coyote" a lot and consider it a massive disappointment at the same time.

atsonicpark 05.02.2010 06:05 AM

Didn't like it, really, at all, but I only listened twice. Hmm.

Derek 05.02.2010 06:22 AM

Gonna wait till I own a physical copy before I listen.

Decayed Rhapsody 05.02.2010 11:54 AM

I'm not too enamored with the latest release.

atsonicpark 05.14.2010 05:05 AM

yeah, I just listened to the new one again. It's hard to explain why it doesn't work.

atsonicpark 05.18.2010 12:43 PM

derek haS IT now, everyone!

waiting for his reply...

"Yeah. I like it pretty well. Not as good as the other ones. I have a feeling it'll grow on me."