Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   CD for a friend: A recorded introduction to Sonic Youth live (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=34953)

This Is Not Here 09.29.2009 10:29 AM

CD for a friend: A recorded introduction to Sonic Youth live

So I'm seeing Sonic Youth in London in a few weeks, and a friend of mine who's coming with me does'nt know Sonic Youth but is coming along, largely to find out what (my) massive fuss is all about. Before we go I am lending him the Eternal and making him a CD-R compilation which function as best-of and also what they're likely to play live. I've looked through all their recent setlists and most of it is based on those, which also happen to be a pretty darn good best-of. I've also taken his tastes into consideration, which are more on the punkier side of things. If he listens to this and the Eternal LP then he may well know/like everything they play. That said, he might have a short attention span as all these punk kids invariably do. Before I burn the shit out of this motherfucker - tell me what you think of this tracklist - any suggested additions or subtractions shall be noted and a chin scratched accordingly.

1)White Cross
2)World Looks Red
3)Stereo Sanctity
4)Silver Rocket
5)Kool Thing
6)Death Valley 69
7)Brother James
8)Eric's Trip
9)Tom Violence
10)Cross The Breeze
11)100%
12)Hey Joni
13)Schitzophrenia
14)Shadow Of A Doubt
15)Expressway to yr Skull

This Is Not Here 09.29.2009 10:35 AM

Cue GMKU to step in and tell me I can't live my own life.

SONIC GAIL 09.29.2009 10:38 AM

I am glad to see that you included Sterio Sanctity. Nice List

SuperCreep 09.29.2009 11:04 AM

needz moar lee

SonicBebs 09.29.2009 11:43 AM

to be honest, any sonic youth cd without Washing Machine is wrong. That and Skip Tracer. And NYC ghosts and flowers. And Sympathy for the Strawberry.
i know they wont play them but your friend deserves these songs. He's coming to see sonic youth with you, the least you could do is give him these songs.
why wont you give him these songs? don't be bad. whats he done to upset you?

This Is Not Here 09.29.2009 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicBebs
That and Skip Tracer.

I plan to wear my Mecca Normal t shirt to the gig to get back at Lee for this, in a tiny, tiny bearly noticeable way.

This Is Not Here 09.29.2009 03:26 PM

Kool Thing next to DV 69, yikes - why did I do that?

kenning 09.29.2009 03:38 PM

It couldn't hurt to add "Making the Nature Scene" and "She Is Not Alone"--they played both of these very early on in the Eternal tour. If the point is to get familiar with the stuff they are likely to play, you might have to keep "Teen Age Riot" off, though I think if you don't immediately click with that song, there's a lot of Sonic Youth you ultimately won't get.

greedrex 09.29.2009 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by This Is Not Here
So I'm seeing Sonic Youth in London in a few weeks, and a friend of mine who's coming with me does'nt know Sonic Youth but is coming along, largely to find out what (my) massive fuss is all about. Before we go I am lending him the Eternal and making him a CD-R compilation which function as best-of and also what they're likely to play live. I've looked through all their recent setlists and most of it is based on those, which also happen to be a pretty darn good best-of. I've also taken his tastes into consideration, which are more on the punkier side of things. If he listens to this and the Eternal LP then he may well know/like everything they play. That said, he might have a short attention span as all these punk kids invariably do. Before I burn the shit out of this motherfucker - tell me what you think of this tracklist - any suggested additions or subtractions shall be noted and a chin scratched accordingly.

1)White Cross
2)World Looks Red
3)Stereo Sanctity
4)Silver Rocket
5)Kool Thing
6)Death Valley 69
7)Brother James
8)Eric's Trip
9)Tom Violence
10)Cross The Breeze
11)100%
12)Hey Joni
13)Schitzophrenia
14)Shadow Of A Doubt
15)Expressway to yr Skull

mmmmm...

Rob Instigator 09.29.2009 03:56 PM

sounds good to me.
have a fucking blast

Zombie Robot 09.29.2009 05:27 PM

i luv de-virginizing my friends with sonic aural gratification! good list.
bro james live ftw. and how about some shaking hell?

This Is Not Here 09.29.2009 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie Robot
i luv de-virginizing my friends with sonic aural gratification! good list.
bro james live ftw. and how about some shaking hell?

Not sure thats particularly to his taste - but if they've been doing it live (have they?) then maybe.

Zombie Robot 09.29.2009 05:41 PM

ive seen em do it a couple times live, but ive seen em like 15 times...
i just re-read ur explanation and think ur list is pretty right on. have fun!

greedrex 09.29.2009 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie Robot
i luv de-virginizing my friends

of course

Zombie Robot 09.29.2009 06:20 PM

^ i see what u did there.
cheeky bastard.

notyourfiend 09.29.2009 06:36 PM

needs some making the nature scene.

other than that, it's great!

joe11121 09.29.2009 06:46 PM