Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Reissues and films in the works (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=82580)

Moshe 10.12.2012 02:02 PM

Reissues and films in the works

http://pitchfork.com/news/47942-lee-...te st+News%29

Rob Instigator 10.12.2012 04:05 PM

excellent. Moshe is the master disseminator!

the ikara cult 10.12.2012 05:08 PM

Incredibly excited about an Evol-era film. Make it happen.

Chris Lawrence 10.12.2012 05:14 PM

That EVOL Tourfilm is something I've been curious about since I first heard of it in the mid-90s. I'm sure I saw somebody's trade list with 3+ hours worth of rough footage from this, but I've never been offered it nor seen it circulated anywhere. Has anyone seen anything?

Why can't I figure out what song they're playing in that picture?

halgreen 10.12.2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
That EVOL Tourfilm is something I've been curious about since I first heard of it in the mid-90s. I'm sure I saw somebody's trade list with 3+ hours worth of rough footage from this, but I've never been offered it nor seen it circulated anywhere. Has anyone seen anything?

Why can't I figure out what song they're playing in that picture?

Flower or Secret Girl?

the ikara cult 10.12.2012 05:33 PM

Brother James, surely?

logicalharm 10.12.2012 06:55 PM

I would say Secret Girl but then I don't think Steve is *that* active during the song...

hirsute_biped 10.12.2012 08:18 PM

Mmm... yummy

Awesomeness shall ensue

Chris Lawrence 10.13.2012 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by logicalharm
I would say Secret Girl but then I don't think Steve is *that* active during the song...

Exactly. Can anyone guess what year it is? Before the Marauder was stolen, but that's from 85 thru the end of 86 and I'm not quite an expert on the band's hairstyles and such...I'm not sure if it's supposed to be from Smart Bar or just that era, or...

I believe both the Viper and the Jazzmaster copy are in F#F#F#F#EB, but it's the drumsticks and lack of Kim holding an instrument that throw me off. My only thought was Halloween but again, I don't think it's got drumsticks from both guitars and I don't see Steve being that active. I'd be thrilled if it were Halloween because that's one song where I was never sure if Kim played an instrument or not...

"Death to Our Friends" has this guitar combo, with the drumsticks, but Kim should be on bass and nowhere near a mic. I'm just curious...

to.w 10.13.2012 04:48 AM

could it be ghost bitch?

SonicBebs 10.14.2012 02:53 PM

looks like My Sharona to me

hirsute_biped 10.15.2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

...and I'm not quite an expert on the band's hairstyles and such...

Obviously, we need an exhaustively detailed database documenting their changing hairstyles. Get crackin'!

h8kurdt 10.15.2012 03:05 PM

Wow how geeky could this conversation be!

But yes hella looking forward to Evol film.

Lazewski 10.15.2012 06:09 PM

I'd rather have them reissue some of Kim's Marilyn stockings.

another 10.20.2012 04:26 PM

EVOL film finally seeing the light of day, and potential sister deluxe edition? It's like a Sonic wet dream. I hope they include the scene where Lee does coke.

noisereductions 10.21.2012 04:03 PM

Quote:

are you sure you're not thinking of the rough cut of Summer Of Youth?

Anyway, the EVOL film has remained my most "why isn't it released yet" SY item for many man years. Looking so fwd. EVOL is my favorite album (period) of all time. Just saying.

Superfuzzmx 10.29.2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
are you sure you're not thinking of the rough cut of Summer Of Youth?

Anyway, the EVOL film has remained my most "why isn't it released yet" SY item for many man years. Looking so fwd. EVOL is my favorite album (period) of all time. Just saying.

What is Summer Of Youth? Never heard of it? Is it available somewhere?

noisereductions 10.29.2012 03:01 PM

it was an UNOFFICIAL tour film being worked on around Murry Street. I was interviewd to be in it, they sent me several rough cuts over the years (which revealed my interview was eventually cut) and I don't believe they ever finished it. No idea. I really have no idea what I did with my copies over the years. They were just unfinished cuts, mish-mash scenes, so I didn't keep them with my collection proper.

TheMadcapLaughs 10.29.2012 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by another
EVOL film finally seeing the light of day, and potential sister deluxe edition? It's like a Sonic wet dream. I hope they include the scene where Lee does coke.

i think lee attempts to do coke, but it is like blown away by the wind if my memory of goodbye 20th century serves me right

another 11.04.2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMadcapLaughs
i think lee attempts to do coke, but it is like blown away by the wind if my memory of goodbye 20th century serves me right

yeah, I remember reading that as well. Maybe a reference to Annie Hall?