Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   A Place To Bury Strangers (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=19854)

Trasher02 02.20.2008 03:52 PM

A Place To Bury Strangers

Who knows them? They're fantastic!

Everyneurotic 03.08.2008 06:13 PM

to honor trasher's thread.

so well, to me, on first listen they seem good, nothing really to get me too terribly excited but by no means something bad.

to describe them i say they are like the jesus and mary chain if psychocandy was a synthpop cover album, which is kinda up my alley of what i've been listening lately so it's good.

they are hipster darlings, aren't they? not sure, to tell you the truth.

fugazifan 03.08.2008 06:19 PM

tomorrow i will hear the whole album (thanks EN) but im hearing them on myspace and i like what im hearing, a lot. excactly as EN described it. i think that i am going to enjoy this album...

Pax Americana 03.08.2008 06:24 PM

I dig em.

Trasher02 03.08.2008 06:29 PM

To fix the gash in your head is a great song. I bet it sounds amazing live.

batreleaser 03.08.2008 07:07 PM

i think theyre absolute garbage. horribly produced, straight jesus and mary chain wannabes. "heaviest band in new york city" my balls.

batreleaser 03.08.2008 07:09 PM

and yes they are hipster pitchfork darlings, which to tell you the truth doesnt bother me as much that they just suck balls. i dug some of the bands pitchfork championed last year, animal collective/panda bear, deerhunter, and no age, but these guys are just dull as can be. remember these guys are gonna end up like serena maneesh, remember them? didnt think so. there havnt been any good shoegaze since it was the coolest sounding shit on the planet like 20 years ago.

afterthefact 03.08.2008 07:23 PM

eh. Im not much for those lush vocals, in anything really.

Glice 03.08.2008 07:25 PM

I can't hear J&MC in that at all. I notice they've got Xinlisupreme in their influences, they are/ were awesome. They sound like a lot of British 80s indie, although I'm hearing New Order more than anything else. They should be on 4AD.

Everyneurotic 03.08.2008 07:30 PM

that's why i say they sound like they are covering synthpop bands.

new order, depeche, soft cell, gary numan, orchestral maneouvres, etc.

batreleaser 03.08.2008 07:40 PM

on their myspace it seems like every band mentioned in their influences is all bands to up their hipster credibility, even if they might really dig all those bands i cant take this shit seriously. it just sound so outdated and boring, i mean weve already had new order and jamc and they were great and these guys will never be as good as those bands for as long as they exist. thats just my opinion

Everyneurotic 03.08.2008 07:49 PM

like i said, it's not terribly original, but at least for me, i think their songs are good, i enjoy them, doesn't mean they are my favorite band but they are good to listen to.

and well, in case it doesn't show, i've been listening all this and last week to new order, soft cell, depeche mode and on the other hand, galaxie 500, spacemen 3, cocteau twins, early spiritualized so i kinda appreciate a band that in broad terms can combine both styles. i'm by no means saying they are closer to any of it and i'm more inclined to reach for non stop erotic cabaret or on fire rather than their album but their album is a good listen that i'm sure will do so again soon.

of course, this is all in my appreciation.

Glice 03.08.2008 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batreleaser
on their myspace it seems like every band mentioned in their influences is all bands to up their hipster credibility, even if they might really dig all those bands i cant take this shit seriously. it just sound so outdated and boring, i mean weve already had new order and jamc and they were great and these guys will never be as good as those bands for as long as they exist. thats just my opinion

It's a funny thing music, because I would say the above applies, to a different side of hipsterdom, to the band you started a thread for.

Hipsters don't really exist, except in photos in magazines.

Everyneurotic 03.08.2008 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice

you've obviously never been to williamsburg or la condesa.

but i likes your quote a whole lot, beats the sticker i found in nyc once that read "i'm not a hipster, i just ate one for breakfast".

Glice 03.08.2008 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
you've obviously never been to williamsburg or la condesa.

but i likes your quote a whole lot, beats the sticker i found in nyc once that read "i'm not a hipster, i just ate one for breakfast".

'Hipster' is a byword for people who, from the outside, have the appearance of whatever the latest fad is. I generally find, once you get talking to people, they're either cunts or they're not. Dress sense and music taste are less of an indicator than the simple fact of whether or not they're a cunt.

batreleaser 03.08.2008 08:35 PM

Quote:

It's a funny thing music, because I would say the above applies, to a different side of hipsterdom, to the band you started a thread for.

annnnd what band would that be

Everyneurotic 03.08.2008 08:45 PM

Quote:

'Hipster' is a byword for people who, from the outside, have the appearance of whatever the latest fad is. I generally find, once you get talking to people, they're either cunts or they're not. Dress sense and music taste are less of an indicator than the simple fact of whether or not they're a cunt.

how zen of you.

of course i agree, the proof is that i spend most of my weekends at the biggest concentration of hipsters per capita in the city.

PAULYBEE2656 03.09.2008 05:43 AM

they are ok. they are not shite. they do have hips and they do shake em.