Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   "I'd give my soul to be where I was a year ago..." -- where' that from? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=12305)

MamaJohnny 04.17.2007 04:17 AM

"I'd give my soul to be where I was a year ago..." -- where' that from?

Hi everyone,
there's this comic book picture in EVOL with the girl saying "I'd give my soul where I was a year ago... if I had a soul left to give". Does anyone happen to know where it's from? Been googlin' for some time now but nothing helpful came up, so I thought you guys might have a clue.

cheers!

something 04.17.2007 04:23 AM

kinda reminds of some neil gaiman sandman stuff but i could be wrong very wrong

MamaJohnny 04.17.2007 04:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
what's really embarrasing is that I once did know the answer, i.e. name and issue of the comic. I've actually got a proper (though small) scan of the original picture on my computer, but I don't even remember where I got it from. All I know is that's been on my computer for two years now, since I've researched the same thing once before, obviously yielding better results than this time.
:confused:

screamingskull 04.17.2007 08:17 AM

the sonic youth version, is actually a pretty popular tattoo for SY fans.

eatmychild 04.17.2007 04:09 PM

Maybe check the SY albums database.

EDIT: maybe i was wrong...it just mentions the picture, has no information as to it's origin.

Bal 04.17.2007 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaJohnny
what's really embarrasing is that I once did know the answer, i.e. name and issue of the comic. I've actually got a proper (though small) scan of the original picture on my computer, but I don't even remember where I got it from. All I know is that's been on my computer for two years now, since I've researched the same thing once before, obviously yielding better results than this time.
:confused:

this is soooooooooooo going in my sig.
thanks

hirsute_biped 04.17.2007 06:24 PM

kind of seems like one of those moralizing christian evangelical comic books, like "chick tracts" (http://www.chick.com/default.asp), where they tell some teen runaway story and then have them regret their choices and convert, often threatened with vivid depictions of hell. but those are black and white, so its probably not that. just something like it... i dunno, i'm guessing.

i just realized she is holding a pocketwatch and chain, i always thought she had slit her wrist and was dripping blood...

Chris Lawrence 04.18.2007 12:09 AM

ITS ALLEGEDLY FROM "THE NEW MUTANTS" issue uuuuh 14? i forget. i totally looked it up once cuz i love the image (thanks for the colour one, btw!), but came up a little short. i found a similar character but not that specific image, and i also can't remember if it pre-dated the gig poster that first appeared on...

Dead-Air 04.18.2007 12:54 AM

If I remember all of my comic book lore from the '80s right, I think the girl in the picture is "Kitty Pride" as in "New York City is forever Kitty".

I used to have the t-shirt of this panel and wore it constantly in the '80s. It shrunk over time, so I let my girlfriend in the late '90s have it. Then we broke up, and she gave it to another ex-girlfriend of mine. I'd like to think that shirt is still out there stealing souls today...

Danny Himself 04.18.2007 10:19 AM

There she is, visible in the hands of the purple henry rollins. Kitty Pryde was a character in the same comics, but she had brown hair. I think this particular blonde character is called Illyana Rasputin.

MellySingsDoom 04.18.2007 10:33 AM

^^^Ha ha for the H Rollins comment.

"RAARRGH! I AM ROLLINS! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! DO NOT DEFY MY RIGHTNEOUSNESS, YOU PENCILNECK GEEK! RAARRGH! I AM PUNK ROCK!"

Cooley 04.18.2007 05:58 PM

I just got it off ebay for one cent! I'll post some pages when I get it.

Chris Lawrence 04.18.2007 07:44 PM

fuck yeah! good work folks!

krastian 04.19.2007 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cooley
I just got it off ebay for one cent! I'll post some pages when I get it.

Ha! That's pretty awesome.....fucking ebay, man.....I tell ya.

!@#$%! 04.19.2007 12:25 AM

brilliant research & great ebay score!

i shall dish out rep like fistfuls of coke

Cooley 04.26.2007 01:22 PM

Pretty terrible comic, even for mid-80's standards. But hey.

Cooley 04.26.2007 01:22 PM

nicfit 04.26.2007 02:07 PM

Thanks a lot! Did I rep you already? Yes.

Danny Himself 04.26.2007 05:30 PM

You are ridiculously AWESOME. I love you for this, Cooley. If the world were to descend into nuclear war right now, I would survive and travel the newly-destroyed world looking for you. Perhaps this is an unorthodox way of telling you I love you, but okay.

REP.

Cooley 04.26.2007 05:48 PM

Aww. Thanks! I'll put some more up later.