Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Northern Europe - where to go on holiday? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=32207)

_slavo_ 06.19.2009 02:22 AM

Northern Europe - where to go on holiday?

So I decided to visit Scandinavia and/or Baltic countries for holiday this year. And since me and my gf want to take an organized tour, we have picked two alternatives. Help me decide:

1. Denmark -> Sweden -> Finland -> Estonia -> Latvia (8 days)

2. Denmark -> Sweden -> Norway (11 days)

The latter is with a heavy focus on Norway, its nature, waterfalls, troll routes and stuff, while the first one is mostly based on sighsteeing in the capital cities (Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki, Talinn, Riga) ..
So, those of you having some sort of experience, any recommendations?

_slavo_ 06.19.2009 07:59 AM

Now I've found trips for equal price (around 1100 €) to destinations like India (Dilli, Jaipur), China (Hongkong, Macao) and Brazil (Rio)

Fuck! That will be a tough decision.

greedrex 06.19.2009 08:43 AM

come to France.
You can help me rebuild my bathroom from 3rd to 17th of July.
Do you have any useful skills?

greedrex 06.19.2009 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_

The latter is with a heavy focus on Norway, its nature, waterfalls, troll routes

Don't you think we have enough trolls here?
Don't bring any back btw.
or maybe yes, please do, they're fun to play with.
ha yeah.

_slavo_ 06.19.2009 08:49 AM

And I expected a recommendation.
Oh yes.

greenlight 06.19.2009 09:07 AM

Quote:

Now I've found trips for equal price (around 1100 €) destinations like India (Dilli, Jaipur), China (Hongkong, Macao) and Brazil (Rio)

or Cuba :).

uhmm, I would stick with the second option. I like Norway, and I feel like a backpacking today, hahaha. it's a pity I got as far as Oslo and didn't get to see country side, especially up on the north. fjords, mountains, lakes, daylight almost for 24hr. nonstop in summer time....really expensive country but. it really depends on everyones tastes. you get to see good few cities and its culture in one go with second option....

_slavo_ 06.19.2009 09:10 AM

i'd stick with the exotic stuff such as India and so, but my gf is really reluctant to travel to destinations like that. so i guess it will take one romantic weekend and flowers and everything to talk her into that ;)

phoenix 06.19.2009 09:20 AM

the second one sounds more like a holiday and less tiring. I find when you just stay in capital cities you just spend too much money and don't feel as though you've really experienced the place. So yes.. Even though more countries sounds fun.. I still vote the seconds one. He he.

!@#$%! 06.19.2009 09:32 AM

Quote:

exotic stuff

what's more exotic than vikings? those suckers live at the edge of the world, near dragons!

Shifty Prophet 06.19.2009 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
what's more exotic than vikings? those suckers live at the edge of the world, near dragons!

My friend has strong ties with his scandanavian heritage and when he was growing up he asked his dad what vikings did, what they were famous for.

His dad proudly answered:
''Vikings? We'd burn the village or go fishing, or both!''

I always pictured this in my head perfectly.

_slavo_ 06.19.2009 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greedrex
You can have a redbull in my bathroom from 3rd to 17th of July.

A bit of a weird offer, but thanks anyway.

sonic sphere 06.19.2009 10:14 AM

the 2nd one. or china! :)

_slavo_ 06.19.2009 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonic sphere
the 2nd one. or china! :)

i've been to china already, so it's not very likely.

floatingslowly 06.19.2009 10:20 AM

yeah, I'd pick china.

I fucking love the chinese. nicest people on the planet.

my father-in-law went recently and loved it. then again, they brought out the fucking provincial govenors to meet him. I doubt I'd get the same treatment.

edit: oh, rats. sweet regina's already gone to china.. well, have fun with the fucking trolls then!

(like you couldn't just get that here)

phoenix 06.19.2009 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floatingslowly
nicest people on the planet.

Shifty Prophet 06.19.2009 10:28 AM

I'd do Denmark>Sweden>Norway.

jon boy 06.19.2009 10:57 AM

holland is nice, sweden and all those places are nice but very expensive. iceland used to be expensive but its probably a bargain these days.

pokkeherrie 06.19.2009 10:58 AM

I'd opt for the second one.
The first one sounds like you'll be on a bus all day... either driving in between cities or in the cities themselves, driving past the local tourist sights.

blunderbuss 06.19.2009 12:48 PM

My girlfriend went to Norway on business and loved it.

floatingslowly 06.19.2009 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blunderbuss
My girlfriend went to Norway on business and loved it.

that sounds like something you would read on a bumper-sticker.