Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Album thread: Made In Usa (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=41090)

Mortte Jousimo 08.27.2010 03:59 AM

Album thread: Made In Usa

I donīt know how good idea this is or have you already done these, but what you think if we make a thread for every Sonic Youth album? Of course there can be threads also e.p:s and singles. I mean Iīd like to read when people has bought certain album and what memories associated with the album. There can be all the stuff, that associated the album, if somebody know something about the album that isnīt on discography pages, that is also very welcome information. And of course people can say their opinions about the album.

I want to start in Made In Usa, because it is quite amazing story, how I get it. When the album was realised, I lived in north Finland. Maybe one time a year I made a trip to the south in main town Helsinki to buy albums (In Helsinki naturally have much more record shops than in north). One of these trips I saw "Made In Usa"-vinyl. I hadnīt heard anything about it and I thought it was some kind of noise side project of them. I hadnīt had also so much money then, so I didnīt bought it. Somehow I didnīt forget the album, maybe partly because I liked the package and the clear vinyl. I thought I bought it next year, but it wasnīt there anymore. Two years ago I read the text about the album in discography pages and I felt so shamed that I didnīt bought it when it was realised. Of course it wasnīt available anymore when I asked it for my local record retailer. About half year after that moment there was a big record happening in my hometown (that is the biggest in Finland, two times a year). I went there in the end of it and there is time only half hour. You can announce there an album you want. I made an announcement, but no retailer didnīt reply it. I started to walk one line, maybe watched one or two boxes of vinyls and then came to retailer where I found Sonic Youth LP:s. And there it was!!! Second hand "Made In Usa"-vinyl in a very good condition and not even that expensive as a thought!!!

I think the story of the album is also quite amazing. Some unknown edit-jobbers ask Thurston to make a music for a Hollywood movie, all that glamour in the middle of it, and in the end only one of two songs are in the movie!! I have thought does this happen a lot in the western countries and is this kind of thing one reason to the world economic depressions. I mean somebody pay some people for something that in the end nobody uses.

And last for the music: I think like Chris that the album is very great and very much underrated!!! I can reach from the album some very original feelings about the America, kind of feelings about the continent when there were only Indians, maybe even not them. I mean I got the same feelings that are in the picture of the cover. The album is really I weird compromise between avantgarde and Hollywood glamour!!!

dasx 08.28.2010 12:03 AM

I also like that album very much. It's one that I don't have yet. I've seen it once in record flea market happening, but it was so expensive that I couldn't buy it. I've been waiting for that deluxe edition re-release, hope they make it some day and also in vinyl.

Count Mecha 08.28.2010 01:09 AM

I own this album, but I don't really remember much about it. I've only listened to it a few times. All I remember about it is that Secret Girl is on it. At least I think it is.

Mortte Jousimo 08.29.2010 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Count Mecha
I own this album, but I don't really remember much about it. I've only listened to it a few times. All I remember about it is that Secret Girl is on it. At least I think it is.

Yes, it is on it. Secret Girl was the kind of start of the whole project. That was the song that the young edit-jobbers was excited about and want it to the movie. And itīs the only one with Tuck n Dar that is on the final movie. In the album there are also three other "versions" of the Secret Girl: the Velvet Plug, Tulip Fire 2 and O.J.`s gloves or what. There is also 2 other themes in the album that have different "versions". I think you should listen the album again, but do it in the right moment. And that is then when you can just listen the album and doing nothin else. I have found the album very meditative.

shabbray2.0 08.29.2010 04:04 AM

I own the VHS tape of the film.
I kinda get used to it to listen to it instead of the album including the dialogue. meshes nice together. thought about capturing the whole "soundtrack" for my version.

Lee is Free 09.02.2010 11:09 AM

the information here is incorrect. much of the music on the Made in USA album is in the film.

noisereductions 09.02.2010 11:42 AM

I have the VHS. Somewhere. I think.

Anyway, I really love this album. I consider it the companion to EVOL. Which I'm sure you all know is my favorite album ever.

ann ashtray 09.02.2010 02:34 PM

I like it. It's great background music when I'm cleaning or playing with my cat.

+, Thurston's liner notes are hilarious. Alone they are infinitely more interesting than the actual music of Rather Ripped.

Good for them.

Recorded in the same studio as Motley Crue's first record, dude. haha

Mortte Jousimo 09.03.2010 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee is Free
the information here is incorrect. much of the music on the Made in USA album is in the film.

"I recently found the video for $3.99 at a video closeout store and watched it and was kind of bummed when I saw how much of our music was cut from the final edit. I guess our vibe was too weird and edgy. But that's what we liked about the earlier version of the film, so... to each his own, I guess. The music on this soundtrack is interesting in that it's an odd compromise between New York City avant-gardsters and Hollywood hit men."

Hereīs Thurstonīs text from the film. I understood about that text, that there isnīt not much Sonic Youth music on the film. And in the official film soundtrack album there is only "secret girl".

Chris Lawrence 09.03.2010 11:01 AM

Ten or more years ago I rented the film and watched it once to take note of all the SY music in the film -- I know I shared w/ alt.music.sonic-youth but don't think I have a copy anymore...I seem to recall there was a bit of SY score every few minutes, generally buried, often elements of 'Secret Girl', but that many of the tracks from the soundtrack were incorporated somehow. I remember the climax of the film involves the last 2 songs on the soundtrack, including that stark cut from the end of "Webb of Mud 3" into "Bachelors in Fur!".

True, only "Secret Girl" made the original motion picture soundtrack from '87/'88, so we're very fortunate that SY made their score available in '95. I don't think it's any secret that this is one of my top SY releases of all time, for reasons I can't even explain...something about the sound and the atmosphere (and the intriguing melodies) just takes me to another place. Another time, perhaps.

noisereductions 09.03.2010 11:03 AM

I absolutely love it. It was the first Sonic Youth album I ever bought actually.

Chris Lawrence 09.03.2010 11:27 AM

I found my old notebook where I tracked all of the SY content in the film...here you go:

00:04:14 - Score Composed and Performed by SONIC YOUTH

00:09:45 - 'Secret Girl' piano theme plays underneath scene til 00:10:40
- becomes whammy stuff, back to SG w lyrix 00:11:00
- fades out 00:11:35

00:12:22 - 'Tuck N Dar' style theme

00:12:46 - 'Moustache Riders'

00:14:15 - 'Cork Mountain Incident' - 00:14:55

00:31:05 - harmonics => 00:32:30 "Moon in the Bathroom"

00:32:34 - SG piano w/ whammy 00:33:15

00:42:24 - "Lincoln's Gout" => 00:44:12

00:48:20 - "Coughing up Tweed" 00:48:54

00:49:27 - "Hairpiece Lullaby" 00:50:36

00:51:21 - "Hairpiece Lullaby" => 00:52:28

00:52:30 - "Pre-Poured Wood" => 00:52:58

00:54:05 - "Tuck N Dar" 00:54:39

01:05:55 - "Pre-Poured Wood" => 01:06:35

01:10:31 - "Pocketful of Sen-Sen" => 01:11:36

01:11:45 - "Webb of Mud" => 01:12:11

01:12:37 - "Webb of Mud" => 01:14:00

01:15:07 - "Webb of Mud" => 01:15:37

01:15:41 - "Bachelors in Fur!" => 01:16:34

01:16:48 - "Mackin for Doober" => 01:17:28

SECRET GIRL as performed by SONIC YOUTH
Courtesy of SST/Blast First Records
Written by Sonic Youth
Copyright 1986 Savage Conquest Music

TUCK AND DAR as performed by SONIC YOUTH
Written by Sonic Youth
Copyright 1986 Euphonius Music/Savage Conquest Music

----

...I wonder what the "Euphonius Music" credit is?

Chris Lawrence 09.03.2010 11:33 AM

huh, so in a curious search for 'euphonius music' online i stumbled across my old a.m.s-y post, captured for posterity on my very own website...who knew.

http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang/lp/vid55.html

Mortte Jousimo 09.05.2010 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
True, only "Secret Girl" made the original motion picture soundtrack from '87/'88, so we're very fortunate that SY made their score available in '95. I don't think it's any secret that this is one of my top SY releases of all time, for reasons I can't even explain...something about the sound and the atmosphere (and the intriguing melodies) just takes me to another place. Another time, perhaps.

I also think that Made In Usa is very unique in Sonic albums. When I first time began to listen the album, then when Secret Girl came I was sure I really had Sonic Youth album (I really wondered, did I get accidentely some other band album in Sonic Youth album cover). Even the album sounds are so different and a long time a thought, that in "Tuck n Dar" there is someone quest singing.

Of course it sounds like Sonic Youth, when I have listened it a lot. But I think theyīve taken some elements lot more far away as in any other album. Of course thereīs lotīs of Sonic songs in their cataloque, where is kind of timeless feeling. But in this album almost every song has that kind of feeling. Truly the album takes you into another place and time. Maybe syr1 is the only "album" that is near of Made In Usa.

Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski 09.06.2010 11:39 AM

I live in rural Japan and I saw it at this one record store for like 15 bucks. Japanese version. I'm guessing I should pick it up and try to sell it on ebay (or to someone on the board that would be interested???) It's the cd version.

ericengle 09.15.2010 06:21 PM

I just recently bought a copy of Made In USA. There was a pretty heavy-duty adhesive on the tab of the clear plastic cover so I removed the gunk before I even took the vinyl out to look at it. Once I got the record out I could see that the previous owner wasn't too careful. There are adhesive smears all over both sides of the record. Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas for an effective and safe way to remove it?

mindbomb 09.18.2010 08:56 PM

I bought a vinyl of 'Made in USA' on Fri.March26/1999 at a record store in Ontario for maybe $15. That record store is no longer around.
I've only played the record maybe twice. I remember one track standing out that might be 'Secret Girl' as it was melodic and good. The rest of the albumn I can't remember much but I don't remember it sounding like a regular albumn. Lots of sound clips as compared to actual songs.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.22.2013 01:51 PM

Late at night on obscure TV this movie came on and I watched it, basically only for the soundtrack because the movie itself was shit. I dare say it would have been better if they had just cast the band too ;)

Magic Wheel Memory 06.23.2013 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Late at night on obscure TV this movie came on and I watched it, basically only for the soundtrack because the movie itself was shit. I dare say it would have been better if they had just cast the band too ;)

It would have been MUCH better had they cast the band. I can say that with absolute confidence, even not having seen this movie.

dasx 06.23.2013 10:48 AM

Does anyone know is there any plans to make a reissue of this album, maybe deluxe edition...