Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

atsonicpark 09.03.2010 12:35 AM

Oh, also watched

HIM AND ME - 10/10

a newly unearthed James Benning film. James Benning, of course, is the most important experimental filmmaker still making films today; it's just too damn bad it's so hard to see his work. I snatch up everything I can find, but there's NOTHING commercially available, and only like 15 of his movies bootlegged -- out of, y'know, like a hundred films he's made.

This is another film that really has no real story, characters, or narration. It appears to be a look back at James's life. As usual, it's beautifully-shot, with tons of long takes... so captivating even when "nothing" happens. Truly cinema at its finest.

atsonicpark 09.03.2010 12:38 AM

Anyone else into Apichatpong Weerasethakul? I found out that SYNDROMES AND A CENTURY was recently voted BEST FILM OF THE PAST 10 YEARS by some snobby festival. It's not that good but it's pretty mindblowing in a way.

Count Mecha 09.03.2010 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Anyway...

words can't explain/10

I'm just trying to figure out this cover. Why would the barbell bend that way? Those kids must be fucking heavy! Anyway, the Barbarian Brothers both look like Jimmy Smits on that cover.

FreshChops 09.03.2010 01:51 AM

The Emerald Forest (1985)

me. 09.03.2010 02:08 AM

About Her Brother

then

Happiness of the Katakuris

atsonicpark 09.03.2010 05:27 AM

batman: under the red hood - 8/10

WOW! What a surprise! This is by far the best Batman-related.. well... anything.. since Mask of Phantasm and Batman: The Animated Series' heyday. It's even darker than B:TAS at times, in fact, and has the best action scenes I've seen in a Batman movie. The only thing I can fault with this is that John DiMaggio -- you know, BENDER -- does Joker's voice, and it's TERRIBLE. He sounds like some gruff gangster now, and his laugh is gravelly and ... it doesn't fit the character, and especially doesn't fit the animation/look for the character. Imagine Morgan Freeman doing the voice of a little white girl or something. It's that ridiculous and dramatic. Luckily, he's not in it very long, and the rest of the movie is as excellent as they come, and blows away all the recent Nolan flicks by miles.

atsonicpark 09.04.2010 02:38 AM

greenberg - 6/10

Weird film is slightly amusing for most of its length, if a bit pointless and one of those films you'd never want to watch again. Strangely the cast is made up of a bunch of mumblecore regulars -- with Ben Stiller, in his best role ever (?!). Yes, Stiller is playing a serious guy... but unlike Permanent Midnight (where her plays the worst "heroin addict" ever), Black and White (where he's an impossible-to-take-seriously cop), and Reality Bites (where he's an old rich businessman; he's supposed to be uncool, and he pulls that off, but other than that, he just feels awkward in the role)..... you can take him seriously! The film consists of him being an asshole, walking around, acting crazy until he suddenly isn't so crazy, going down on a chick, and bitching. He gets the only funny line in the movie, where after he snorts a line of coke, he says "LET'S PUT ON SOME COKE MUSIC!" and he puts on Duran Duran. Interesting little film but eh.

stu666 09.04.2010 03:44 AM

watched this again, it seemed to be a better film watching it on a tv rather than at the cinema.

noisereductions 09.04.2010 07:54 AM

Phantasm - which seems better and makes more sense each time i see it.

tw2113 09.04.2010 05:39 PM

The Basketball Diaries

noisereductions 09.04.2010 05:47 PM

great kill scenes, but kind of boring at times. I think I figured it was gong to be a lot better in my head -- based on the scenes shown in GOING TO PIECES

viewtiful alan redux 09.05.2010 12:22 AM

7/10

Its fun, but overly long.

automatic bzooty 09.05.2010 12:33 AM

tw2113 09.05.2010 01:25 AM

Coneheads, Girl Interrupted, Rookie of the Year

atsonicpark 09.05.2010 02:44 AM

Man, that band of outsiders poster is badass.

batreleaser 09.05.2010 07:08 AM

Just watched "Maniac" with my bros after getting stoned on budweiser, weed and somas all day. Liked it a lot, acting was decidedly above par for a slasher flick.

Derek 09.05.2010 07:20 AM

Gotta love batreleaser.

atsonicpark 09.05.2010 07:46 AM

MANIAC's one of the best movies ever!

nicfit 09.05.2010 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
i watched 30 seconds of it and shut it off. Who could believe that dork could score her/?

ha ha I loled coz you don't know what happens in it.
It's not that good of a movie, btw, you can live without knowing the truth, believe me.

I watched Moon (nice, but not as interesting as I hoped)
and Vengeance

loved it even if it's not flawless, I love the mood and the "unrealistic" scenes.

finding nobody 09.05.2010 09:06 AM

I dug it
(gotta love bootleg the error "bich" type)
in face that whole phrase is funny. She's quite cute! but she is lethal too