Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   i really like the new deftones (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=39403)

Derek 04.19.2010 07:50 AM

Yeah like I said, it's a grower.

atsonicpark 04.19.2010 08:04 AM

It's not a bad album, it just doesn't stand up to their truely great material. I'd like to make a mix cd of the best songs from this and the best songs from adrenaline/fur/pony and see, I guess. But there's enough cool parts in this album that it's not completely awful or anything.....

I would consider s/t, aside from a song or two, awful.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.19.2010 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
It's not a bad album, it just doesn't stand up to their truely great material. I'd like to make a mix cd of the best songs from this and the best songs from adrenaline/fur/pony and see, I guess. But there's enough cool parts in this album that it's not completely awful or anything.....

I would consider s/t, aside from a song or two, awful.

keep listening, it finally got me, right to the soul.

Beauty School has ALL the magic moments of the deftones merged into a brilliant, ambient almost sound scape.. especially at the breaks/bridge my God that shit stopped me in the middle of the cross walk this morning when it hit.. (that is the deftones thing, it permeates all the albums)

Diamond Eyes is as fierce a deftones song as Hexagram or Feiticeira or Damone, classic deftones edge..

Sex Tape is also as brilliant and ambient as Beauty School, really dreary and emotive without necessarily becoming emo.

Rocket Skates and Royal are like Diamond Eyes, but with more teeth and attack stance. The vocals are what Chino was best at and why I got into this band 13 years ago, but how many decades can you scream like that and keep it going?
CMND/CNTL is sort of like When Girls Telephone Boys, a fucking fierce track on the vocals, but meh on the instrumental, but it is growing on my.

976-EVIL is an epic White-Ponyesque ballad, I love it. The guitar is the wall sound of pure, drone chord with a dreary, creaking lead riff ( think Change/Far Away)..

Prince has that bad ass hip hop style that is what makes the deftones who they are, they are not nu-metal, they are not rap rock, they are something authentic in-between, a true original since 1988..

Risk and See the Butcher are the only tunes I am working on, they are a bit too different for me but I have listening to the album three times consecutively this morning and each song as blossomed over the day, initially I didn't really hear the gem in any of this album but now... now I am truly impressed, more so than with Saturday Night Wrist.

This record really excites me, I am feeling blessed like in April 2000 with my leaked White Pony, much thanks and love derek, you made my month.

Derek 04.19.2010 04:05 PM

No problem, anything for a Defhead (har).

GeneticKiss 04.19.2010 04:31 PM

Quote:

Saturday Night Wrist was a GREAT album, full of tons of interesting detours. Too bad it has the worst song ever made on it though (Pink Cellphone).

WHAT???!!! Pink Cellphone is fucking awesome!!! I love those spacey synth bits and that odd choir voicing that seem to fill the whole room regardless of how loud or soft the stereo's being played, and the coda is a total subversion of the "ending" (plus it's funny to hear them cracking up in the background as she speaks, pretty much cracking up herself). Its placement on the album is perfect too, coming between one really aggressive song (Rats! Rats! Rats!), and another really agressive song with an ambient intro (Combat).

I consider Pink Cellphone to not only be one of the best songs in Deftones' discography, but also one of the best songs recorded for an album released in the 2000s.

atsonicpark 04.19.2010 09:18 PM

I don't like it. I actually recently re-downloaded Wrist to burn it and noticed it wasn't even on the tracklist. It was the unedited version of the album, and the track titles were sequential, someone had just simply deleted Pink Cellphone. No complaints from me...

White Pony was the first leak I ever downloaded.

the ikara cult 04.20.2010 04:22 AM

i really like the deftoes appreciaction on here

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.20.2010 04:58 PM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to the ikara cult again.

Derek 04.20.2010 05:04 PM

Quote:

I don't like it. I actually recently re-downloaded Wrist to burn it and noticed it wasn't even on the tracklist. It was the unedited version of the album, and the track titles were sequential, someone had just simply deleted Pink Cellphone. No complaints from me...

White Pony was the first leak I ever downloaded.

Haha I must have downloaded the same thing! I couldn't be bothered finding my copy so I just d/led it and sort of chuckled to myself at how someone cut out Pink Cellphone.

atsonicpark 04.20.2010 09:31 PM

I have a feeling that's a widely circulated rip.

Again, no big loss or anything!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 05.01.2010 11:33 PM

fucking shit.. by accident I stumbled across all these chicks covering deftones songs.. shit is is beautiful! check em out, I am beyond impressed with these various ladies.. I never realized chicks did it, let alone sounded so well to cover deftones tunes

Ladies covering deftones

the ikara cult 05.03.2010 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
fucking shit.. by accident I stumbled across all these chicks covering deftones songs.. shit is is beautiful! check em out, I am beyond impressed with these various ladies.. I never realized chicks did it, let alone sounded so well to cover deftones tunes

Ladies covering deftones

shit, that is really really good. It was posted 3 and a half years ago, so lets hope she hasnt lost her voice and looks to booze and cigarettes

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 05.03.2010 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the ikara cult
shit, that is really really good. It was posted 3 and a half years ago, so lets hope she hasnt lost her voice and looks to booze and cigarettes

if she is like all the other chicks who listen to deftones lets hope she hasn't lost the goodness of her life to meth and cocaine :(

the trouble with deftones is that all the chicks you meet who listen to them are sincerely fucked up and well worth avoiding. they attract a large heavy drug abusing following

Derek 05.03.2010 03:02 PM

I've never met a deftones fan who was fucked up. Then again I don't know many Deftones fans.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 05.03.2010 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
I've never met a deftones fan who was fucked up. Then again I don't know many Deftones fans.

9 out of 10 ladies I met who repped the deftones more than casually also abused hard drugs more than casually. the ratio for men is very similar.. just check out their friends on myspace ;)

atsonicpark 05.03.2010 07:20 PM

derek, your sig.. i love that album

kierkegaarden 05.04.2010 12:31 AM

Quote:

derek, your sig.. i love that album

Group Bombino and Group Doueh are also fierce.

The new Deftones hasn't left an impression on me. Nothing like "Be Quiet And Drive"... but I'll never disregard my tired and angry love for them.

the ikara cult 05.04.2010 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
if she is like all the other chicks who listen to deftones lets hope she hasn't lost the goodness of her life to meth and cocaine :(

the trouble with deftones is that all the chicks you meet who listen to them are sincerely fucked up and well worth avoiding. they attract a large heavy drug abusing following

the trouble is ive never met girls who like deftones

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 05.04.2010 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the ikara cult
the trouble is ive never met girls who like deftones

you're better off that way ;)

Dr. Eugene Felikson 05.12.2010 04:26 PM

It's sweet that they have a song called 976-EVIL.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 05.12.2010 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
It's sweet that they have a song called 976-EVIL.

that is my favorite tune on this album, it is in heavy rotation... it is a classic deftones tune.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 10.24.2018 04:22 AM

Deftones are the greatest band of all time.

Fuck off, Sonic Youth

Dr. Eugene Felikson 10.24.2018 04:23 AM

new album should be dropping early next year or later this year *fingers crossed*

Dr. Eugene Felikson 11.13.2018 01:58 PM

i bet Deftones could beat up Sonic Youth in a fight

thurston moore wishes he was stephen carpenter

Severian 11.13.2018 07:30 PM

Isn’t Derek the guy who’s a dick out of nowhere and is like 21?

If so, this is a fun little find.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 11.13.2018 11:20 PM

Derek is a saint

Severian 11.14.2018 07:54 PM

Hmm. Not if he’s the youngen who pokes in to say mean things every six months or so. Could be thinking of someone else. Don’t care.

Deftones = nowhere near as bad as most people probably think they are, and nowhere near as good as the few who adore them insist they are.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 11.14.2018 11:58 PM

i heard that lee ranaldo cries himself to sleep at night knowing he'll never write a song as well-composed as Cherry Waves

Severian 11.15.2018 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
i heard that lee ranaldo cries himself to sleep at night knowing he'll never write a song as well-composed as Cherry Waves

Lol. K, we have to get you some eggs and toast to go with that spam breakfast you’re serving up.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 11.16.2018 02:11 AM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Severian again.

Severian 11.16.2018 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Hmm. Not if he’s the youngen who pokes in to say mean things every six months or so. Could be thinking of someone else. Don’t care.

Deftones = nowhere near as bad as most people probably think they are, and nowhere near as good as the few who adore them insist they are.

WHOOPS! It’s not Derek I’m thinking of who is very young and very pissy and has said like one nice thing ever, but I forgive him because when I was a baby I pissed on people for no reason other than that my brain didn’t work right also.

So apologies to Derek.

My bad. Not Derek.Someone else.

Derek 03.07.2019 10:44 AM

Hey, fuck you dude. I still have friends from here and most of my board history happened before you even joined. Deftones are great, you snob. Anyway, don't mind me!

Derek 03.07.2019 10:49 AM

Did anyone see Vincent Gallo call Chris Habib an asshole in some magazine essay? That reminded me of this place heh.

Severian 03.07.2019 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
Hey, fuck you dude. I still have friends from here and most of my board history happened before you even joined. Deftones are great, you snob. Anyway, don't mind me!

Sorry man, I thought you were someone else, but now I very clearly remember that you are not the person I was thinking of.

Anyway, I actually like a few Deftones songs. “Digital Bath” is weird and cool for a mainstream rock song.

Not my thing generally, but certainly not judging you.

If you WERE the asshole I was thinking of, I would definitely judge you for anything and everything, fair or not, because that’s how big a shitstain the person I’m thinking of is.

Anyhoo, apologies!!

Derek 03.07.2019 10:38 PM

My guess is that you're talking about Hayden. We used to dare each other to mess with some people we didn't like on here sometimes when we were bored and detached from this place but Hayden had way less shame than me so went further with it. Perhaps that will give you the context you're looking for!

louder 03.21.2019 03:10 AM

So y'all were like.. typical Internet trolls? How revolutionary.

louder 03.21.2019 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Sorry man, I thought you were someone else, but now I very clearly remember that you are not the person I was thinking of.

Anyway, I actually like a few Deftones songs. “Digital Bath” is weird and cool for a mainstream rock song.

Not my thing generally, but certainly not judging you.

If you WERE the asshole I was thinking of, I would definitely judge you for anything and everything, fair or not, because that’s how big a shitstain the person I’m thinking of is.

Anyhoo, apologies!!

They were both bad. I posted my picture in the post yr pic thread and people were saying nice things. Then they popped out of nowhere and started saying mean things out of boredom and jealousy (the woman Derek wanted to impress said I was "hot", something his hormonal mind couldn't have dealt with back then). I was a teenager coming out of mandatory military service and dealing with anxieties and using this board as a cope, plus the whole face reveal thing is stressful in general, so that really wasn't pleasant at all. Plus they were two corny, nerdy white boys throwing the N-word every other post and bragging about each other's "supreme intelligents", giving off school shooter vibes. So yeah.. 8 years later I still remember them unfondly.

louder 03.21.2019 03:50 AM

Will never forget that I was the first person on this board to grasp Kendrick's potential and this pretentious Hayden motherfucker shrugged him off as "BORING" while praising some random buzz rappers he himself probably doesn't even remember the names of. :D

Genteel Death and the girl who was using the board as her pink diary were constantly e-bullying people. floatingslowly was flooding the board with incoherent posts under his main account as well as the numerous alts he was running. There was this alcoholic guy who was actually a really nice person when he wasn't drunk.. pepper_green was his last name. And the admin was racist. That was about the time I had lost any interest in SYG and strictly stayed in the hip hop threads.

louder 03.21.2019 04:04 AM

I actually know about the Cantankerous and atsonicpark days from lurking/posting briefly, as well as some stories I've heard from NR and another member.

Yeah the board was more active and interesting, but there was a lot of trolling back then too. atsonicpark actually seemed chill most of the time, but Cantankerous was a pest.

Anyway.. good for you that you have made some friends, but the true measure of a man is how he treats an individual. Still, that was a long time ago, so I can only hope you've grown and evolved.

Severian 03.21.2019 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
They were both bad. I posted my picture in the post yr pic thread and people were saying nice things. Then they popped out of nowhere and started saying mean things out of boredom and jealousy (the woman Derek wanted to impress said I was "hot", something his hormonal mind couldn't have dealt with back then). I was a teenager coming out of mandatory military service and dealing with anxieties and using this board as a cope, plus the whole face reveal thing is stressful in general, so that really wasn't pleasant at all. Plus they were two corny, nerdy white boys throwing the N-word every other post and bragging about each other's "supreme intelligents", giving off school shooter vibes. So yeah.. 8 years later I still remember them unfondly.

Wow. So, yeah, don’t post your photo online. You don’t know these people.

But yeah, that sounds bad. And very mean.

But... turns out I think I was thinking of guest, who literally only comes here to insult me, because I insulted him after he insulted me for liking NIN. I don’t blame the kid. He’s going through that period of post-adolescence where you think you need to put on a show for people and “tell it like it is,” but you’re really just being a rotten, confused, unwashed douchechill and trying to garner praise from people you’ll never meet because extrinsic approval is all that matters and the brain is still struggling to properly engage in critical thought.