Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

noisereductions 10.06.2010 07:19 AM

Wicker Man is so over-rated. I don't get it. It's got a hilarious naked singalong scene, and a great ending. Beyond that, it's really just boring and bad.

atsonicpark 10.06.2010 11:14 AM

That's sorta how I've always felt too. Weird atmosphere makes it watchable but eh.

demonrail666 10.06.2010 11:28 AM

It's one of my all-time favourite films but it definitely seems to divide people. First time I saw it it disturbed the fuck out of me. I dunno. No point in trying to defend it or convince anyone about it. It is what it is. You either get it or you don't.

chicka 10.06.2010 11:37 AM

7/10
nothing special but enjoyable I thought. Especially Toby Kebell's Johnny Quid character.

noisereductions 10.06.2010 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
It's one of my all-time favourite films but it definitely seems to divide people. First time I saw it it disturbed the fuck out of me. I dunno. No point in trying to defend it or convince anyone about it. It is what it is. You either get it or you don't.

but I don't think I don't "get" it, I just don't particularly enjoy it.

demonrail666 10.06.2010 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
Wicker Man is so over-rated. I don't get it. It's got a hilarious naked singalong scene, and a great ending. Beyond that, it's really just boring and bad.

Fair enough, but you did say that you didn't get it.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 10.06.2010 12:34 PM

Wicker Man is brillianT!

viewtiful alan redux 10.06.2010 12:38 PM

What should I watch tonight?
Germany: Year Zero
or
Election (the triad movie, followed by triad election)

noisereductions 10.06.2010 01:01 PM

Quote:

Fair enough, but you did say that you didn't get it.

hahaha. I didn't mean I don't get the movie, I meant I don't get why people hype that shit up.

demonrail666 10.06.2010 04:43 PM

it's got friggin Christopher Lee in a dress, Ingrid Pitt and Britt Ekland naked, Edward Woodward getting burnt alive in a giant scarecrow, old men with beards singing 'Gentle Johnny'! Christ, you're hard to please.:D

atsonicpark 10.06.2010 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viewtiful alan redux
What should I watch tonight?
Germany: Year Zero
or
Election (the triad movie, followed by triad election)

Well, I'd usually say Election, since Johnnie To is one of my favorite directors of all time, but I'm not sure if you'd like that movie. It's really really really slow and probably hard to get into, focusing on the minutia of being the yakuza. But I dug it. The sequel's better. Just understand that it's not a slick, superstylish, awesome pistol opera like 90% of his flicks.

viewtiful alan redux 10.06.2010 04:52 PM

I''m really into any good crime story, slow or not. Slowness isn't a negative factor to me necessarily.
If the director is using the slow pace for a reason (to enhance mood, flesh out a character, etc.) then its a good attribute.
If its slow in the sense that minutes feel like hours because what is being dwelled on is unecessary or completely uninteresting, than yeah, its a negative.

noisereductions 10.06.2010 04:54 PM

Quote:

it's got ...Britt Ekland naked,

I mentioned that.

atsonicpark 10.06.2010 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viewtiful alan redux
I''m really into any good crime story, slow or not. Slowness isn't a negative factor to me necessarily.
If the director is using the slow pace for a reason (to enhance mood, flesh out a character, etc.) then its a good attribute.
If its slow in the sense that minutes feel like hours because what is being dwelled on is unecessary or completely uninteresting, than yeah, its a negative.

Yeah, I mean, it's weird, not a lot "happens" in the movie... I dunno. It's a strange one. But in the end, I dug it. I guess it just wasn't what I was expecting.

My top 10 Johnnie To films:
1. Fulltime Killer
2. The Mission
3. Running Out of Time
4. Hero Never Dies
5. Odd One Dies
6. Breaking News
7. Triad Election
8. Exiled
9. Vengeance
10. Mad Detective

Also, HIGHLY reccomend many of the films he has produced:Eye in the Sky, Too Many Ways to be No. 1, etc.

atsonicpark 10.07.2010 04:08 AM

a lake - 8/10

atsonicpark 10.07.2010 04:42 PM

Used Innocence by James Benning - 9/10

This is the 19th James Benning film and I wouldn't put any lower than an 8. Probably the best filmmaker of all time. Too bad he has like 300 films and most are nearly impossible to find

gridlock'd - 6/10

candy - 5/10

fisher king - 7/10.. Gilliam's best film!

The Earl Of Slander 10.07.2010 06:48 PM

Fear Eats The Soul

As I think I've commented before on here, astonishingly good film. Knocked me out even more the second time around. The mirror scene near the end is amazing. Oh, and one of the best ever titles for a film.

noisereductions 10.07.2010 07:03 PM

Gridlock'd is good. But why isn't Tim Roth on the cover too?

LifeDistortion 10.08.2010 04:08 PM

Saw this yesterday, really good, looking forward to the other two in the trilogy. Anyone else seen these movies?

ann ashtray 10.08.2010 07:41 PM

Human Centipede.

4/10