Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   SY Lolapallooza farewell? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=73119)

ThurstonGore 02.13.2012 07:41 PM

SY Lolapallooza farewell?

Heard rumors today from a buddy who is a music journalist that SY may be on the Lolapallooza tour as a final hurrah? Anyone here heard those rumors? Or any updates about the future at this point?
Here was his message via twitter:

@guerrilacandy: Anybody else hear this rumor about Lollapalooza: Metallica, Beck, RHCP, Beyonce, The Killers and Sonic Youth's farewell show?

ann ashtray 02.13.2012 07:56 PM

Too bad it isn't the killers farewell tour.

hipster_bebop_junkie 02.13.2012 07:57 PM

Rumorpalooza.

EVOLghost 02.13.2012 08:14 PM

yeah I don't believe it. But...if it's true....then my first and last SY gig would be a Lolla gig.

EVOLghost 02.13.2012 08:17 PM

ThurstonWHORE

ann ashtray 02.13.2012 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVOLghost
yeah I don't believe it. But...if it's true....then my first and last SY gig would be a Lolla gig.

Honestly man, and I could be wrong, but I'd be willing to bet that you will get another opportunity to see the Youth whether it be at Lolla or not. I don't see them becoming super active again (I've already stated my feelings this)...but I'd be surprised if there aren't more shows at some point. Too much money involved.

kabinks 02.13.2012 08:30 PM

I hope it's true, I've never seen them. I hate coming late to the party.

RanaldoNecro 02.13.2012 08:56 PM

They should come back in about 8 years. People will be thirsty again for their music. Yeah. Sonic Thirsty.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kabinks
I hope it's true, I've never seen them. I hate coming late to the party.

EVOLghost 02.14.2012 01:10 AM

http://thesightsandsounds.com/2012/0...lineup-leaked/

hipster_bebop_junkie 02.14.2012 01:16 AM

Homerpalooza.

EVOLghost 02.14.2012 01:22 AM

Actually....after hearing about this guy's shennanigans last year, I'm really starting to worry...

jennthebenn 02.14.2012 08:26 AM

My first SY show was SUPPOSED to be at Lolla...I dunno if I want to try and
make it my last one. The Williamsburg show was breathtaking. I kinda want
THAT to be my last SY live memory. Not a festival gig.

I say that now. When it's official (if it's official), I'll probably change my tune.
I'd be an idiot to have the chance and pass it up.

SonicBebs 02.14.2012 09:22 AM

does lollapalooza still tour?

i hadn't read or heard anything about it for years

Lazewski 02.14.2012 10:42 AM

Farewell Youth Tour 2012. Maybe Kim could bust out those Marilyn leggings of hers.

scott v 02.14.2012 11:14 AM

OK, i dunno maybe this is just me but i have to say that i don't have as much interest in seeing SY with what has happened with the band... i heard, read and saw the videos from the last tour in S. America and they just didn't seem to be "themselves". I just don't see how thats going to change for the better, glad to have seen them a handful of times in my life. I would probably feel much different if I never seen them live before.

ThurstonGore 02.14.2012 06:01 PM

lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVOLghost
ThurstonWHORE

lol that would have been a good derby name for me too! Glad I went with gore though ;) Thanks for posting that article too! I could care less about anyone else on the bill. If SY is there, I am there.

I keep (kept?) hoping that the split would be amicable enough to keep the band together, save a small hiatus, but that hope is fading I must say. I was hoping it'd be like the parents who get divorced, but keep everything civil and active for the kids, kind of thing. Time will tell...

Mortte Jousimo 02.14.2012 11:46 PM

I hope they will make some kind of "reunion" to Roskilde sometime. I will be there!

E. Noisefield 02.16.2012 08:30 PM

If this is true I will go for sure. I haven't been to anything "lolla" in a while (a long while), but for them I'd go.

I'm ever so slightly peeved by the fact that I can barely remember seeing them tour behind Eternal due to black-out-drunkenness, which is a situation I rarely find myself in. If I'd known it was (might be) the last time, I would have been either stone-sober or on something much funner ;)

Lazewski 02.17.2012 12:19 PM

They should record one last actual album inside Dave Grohl's garage, sounds like that's the happenin place to be these days.

rocky 02.17.2012 12:31 PM

i don't know! ... it seems just like a loopy speculation. would sonic youth really have a farewell concert? i think if they did want to for whatever reason, it wouldn't be this year because it would distract from Lee's album which otherwise will be much better appreciated which is a positive side effect of the youth hiatus. :)