Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   10 songs you like by people whose songs you generally don't like (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=40729)

Count Mecha 08.03.2010 05:09 PM

Haha, he must've either confused threads or is joking. I can't imagine a non-Sonic Youth fan singling out Do You Believe In Rapture? as one of the few if not only SY song they enjoyed.

Kuhb 08.03.2010 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
MAN! ALLERGIC TO THOUGHTS OF MOTHER EARTH is such a cool song. Harmonics!

I often like moments in many of their songs, but that one rules all the way through.

DeadDiscoDildo 08.04.2010 05:02 AM

Quote:

and it sounds exactly like naked raygun's soldier's requiem... so, listening to 30 seconds of it makes me want to put jettison on... which is never a bad thing.

While I am not a fan of wavves, this is silly. It's not a unique chord progression for punk rock, that said...the chord progression is the only similarity.

Different melody, different hook, different back up vocals, different drum beat and slower tempo.

Pretty much all rock music until the mid 60s used the same chord progressions, and especially in blues and jazz and etc. (not so much with jazz) but different singers would put their different stamps on it.

The reason I do not like wavves has nothing to do with naked rayguns, infact Im not super impressed with naked rayguns or most chicago music...

wavves just rode the "gutteral trash can mix" hype of the black lips and etc. and write the same song over and over. They have two songs, the fast one and the slow one but nothing ever interesting happens.

atsonicpark 08.04.2010 08:19 AM

Haha, what? the entire riff for "So Bored" is exactly the same and there's only one riff in the whole song! Wavves' early stuff is vaguely noisey, vaguely surfy, vaguely melodic punk songs... which was totally Naked Raygun's thing... nowadays, obviously, it's Blink-182...

Anyway, as far as no-fi trashcan-recorded music goes, Coachwhips is the only band I really listen to.

Bertrand 08.04.2010 09:38 AM

Hole : Starbelly (but it's a producer piece)
Helmet : Wilma's Rainbow
Christian Death : Incendiary Lover
Queen : Another One Bites the Dust
Phil Collins : You Can't Hurry Love (if covers count)

Running on empty now.

DeadDiscoDildo 08.04.2010 02:28 PM

Quote:

Haha, what? the entire riff for "So Bored" is exactly the same and there's only one riff in the whole song! Wavves' early stuff is vaguely noisey, vaguely surfy, vaguely melodic punk songs... which was totally Naked Raygun's thing... nowadays, obviously, it's Blink-182...

Anyway, as far as no-fi trashcan-recorded music goes, Coachwhips is the only band I really listen to.

That's what I am saying. Riffs are riffs, so many ppl use the same riffs.

There are only so many chords, n all that.

Besides the riff the two songs are completely different.

Just the state of music and all that.

Anyways, Wavves suck.

atsonicpark 08.04.2010 06:03 PM

haha what? There are an INFINITE number of riffs that no one has even thought of yet. Really, there absolutely is no reason whatsoever why two bands should ever have the same main riff in a song. Unless you're just playing boring 3 power chord punk shit. Wavves obviously ripped the riff off, as his entire sound is a reference to NR.

DeadDiscoDildo 08.04.2010 08:42 PM

I guess...

I mean, remember the chord progression thread?

You posted a chord progression and I used it to create a creative song, that you even liked alot and used in one of your blaze videos.

Same chords, but I made it different than however you probably originally conceived it.

Suppose I'm playing the devil's advocate a bit here, because I also added interesting bits of my own.

Oh well

I'm not really a big fan of naked ray guns. Or Wavves.

GeneticKiss 08.05.2010 10:13 AM

I thought of more:

Blink-182: Dammit (Growing Up)
The Charlie Daniels Band: The Devil Went Down to Georgia
Rise Against: Prayer of the Refugee
Atreyu: Becoming the Bull
Avenged Sevenfold: Bat Country (although I can't say I really dislike them yet at the same time I can't call myself a fan, but who can resist a song with Hunter S. Thompson references and samples the Riddler's carnival fortune teller machine from Batman Forever?)

viewtiful alan redux 08.05.2010 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Count Mecha
Haha, he must've either confused threads or is joking. I can't imagine a non-Sonic Youth fan singling out Do You Believe In Rapture? as one of the few if not only SY song they enjoyed.

He's got it

Torn Curtain 08.06.2010 03:29 PM

Tim Hardin - Lenny's tune
Ramones - I wanna be your boyfriend
Pavement - Fin
Lady Gaga - Paparazzi
Joan Baez - Diamonds and rust
Coldplay - We never change
Blur - This is a low
Franz Ferdinand - This fire
Lenny Kravitz - Believe
Stone Roses - I am the resurrection

Torn Curtain 09.01.2010 03:55 PM

Mercury Rev - The funny bird

Kylerobert 09.01.2010 11:12 PM

G n R- Civil War

Don't know why but love this song. Most their stuff is just not my thing.

SpaceCadetHayden 09.02.2010 12:16 AM

the Shins - Know your Onion! and Caring is Creepy
norma jean - memphis will be laid to waste
Thursday - understanding in a car crash
eminem - hi my name is

pokkeherrie 09.02.2010 08:07 AM

The XX - Intro
Health vs Crystal Castles - Crimewave
Wavves - So Bored
MGMT - Kids
Judas Priest - Painkiller (although Breaking The Law is ok too)
The Gathering - Strange Machines
Barrington Levy - Here I Come (Broader than Broadway)
Mick Jagger – Invocation of My Demon Brother score (not sure if that counts as a song?)
tATu - Not Gonna Get Us
Beyonce - Crazy in Love (actually, she might have more songs I like, but I can't think of any right now)

LifeDistortion 09.05.2010 07:28 PM

No Doubt- Sunday Morning
Madonna- Bad Girl
Garbage- #1 Crush
Stone Temple Pilots-Creep
Bush-Little Things

(Add more when they come to me)

EVOLghost 09.05.2010 07:43 PM

oh mgmt.....I do kind of like TIme to Pretend.

Bertrand 09.09.2010 04:16 PM

Angelic Upstarts : Solidarity (straightfoward lyrics and something else; musically poor, and the rest was even worse)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owrVQebWCtc

Bishop Allen : Things Are What You Make of Them
I expected his other songs to be as good, didn't feel they were up to it

Derek 09.30.2010 12:55 PM

I thought of some:
Pearl Jam - I am Mine
The Von Bondies - C'mon C'mon
Deerhunter - Nothing ever Happened

Derek 10.01.2010 11:12 AM

Actually scratch the Pearl Jam comment, they have a load of good to bloody great songs. Self-indulgent yes, but good nonetheless.