Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   NR Essentials #6: Unwound - Leaves Turn Inside You (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=25956)

noisereductions 09.22.2008 06:44 PM

NR Essentials #6: Unwound - Leaves Turn Inside You

Unwound
Leaves Turn Inside You
2001, Kill Rock Stars

Every time I spin LEAVES TURN (which is generally Autumn) I can't help but get into the same old 'what if' frame of mind. What if Unwound had NOT broken up? What if they had continued beyond LEAVES? Would they have potentially become my favorite band?

Probably not, but the potential was certainly there in 2001. To celebrate their 10 year anniversary as a band they dropped a double album that took its time to spread out and get fucking incredible.

From the first time I heard the opening drone of "We Invent You" there was a lump in my throat as I let the whole record(s) unfold before my ears. Here was a dischordant art punK band who suddenly made their own WHITE ALBUM (only the packaging was black). And dark it was. But also beautiful.

Listening now, I can't help but think that they must have FELT that the end was near. There was so much experimentation on LEAVES that it's as if they were just now getting around to trying everything they had always intended to try before it ended. The extra instruments. The wall of ghostly sound. It's really hard to put into words in a way. But "Demons Sing Love Songs" may just be one of the best songs ever written.

atsonicpark 09.22.2008 07:01 PM

Yeah, great album of course.

Was going to eventually do a classic albums post on this myself, but it'd be redudant now!

noisereductions 09.22.2008 07:07 PM

Nah, not really, man. If our lists overlap, then whatever. The blurbs are still our own takes on 'em. And we'll get different comments accordingly no doubt.

This is one of those albums that I forget how amazing it is. I'm listening now,and it's like a blast of pure white light/white heat ripping thru my chest.

atsonicpark 09.22.2008 07:12 PM

I agree with you that "Demons Sing Love Songs" is amazing. Maybe too good!

Also, I knew this album was going to be something special from the first moment I heard 2 straight minutes of feedback when I turned it on.

noisereductions 09.22.2008 07:18 PM

NO SHIT, man. I remember putting it on in the car coming home from the record store, and as I realized the drone wasnt stopping, I kept turning it up louder and louder and louder, and then that slow guitar motif started and I was like "FUCK. I'm going to hear this a million times again in my life."

batreleaser 09.22.2008 09:46 PM

whenever i listen to this, i realize how brilliant it is, and that its thier best, and still one of the best of this decade. but when it comes to unwound, i almost always put on 'fake trees' (fucking dragnalus is such a good opening track) or 'new plastic ideas'. ill put this on now though.

uhler 09.23.2008 02:20 AM

great shit man!

uhler 09.23.2008 02:51 AM

nothing to do with the record but here's an interview that tobi vail and kathi wilcox did with unwound for jigsaw youth back in 92.

http://www.bumpidee.com/unwndinterview.html

repeater 09.23.2008 03:21 AM

This is such a wonderful and unique record, probably in my all time top 20 albums.

pbradley 09.23.2008 03:43 AM

I would also rate Challenge For A Civilized Society and Repetition up there.

In fact they're one of those bands who have at least three songs on every album they've released that I loved. So I suppose that is enough to say they are one of my favorite bands.

greedrex 09.23.2008 05:17 AM

i lurv Unwound
but this is possibly their worst record.

Here is my Top unwound

1) Fake train
2) New plastic ideas
3) Repetition
4) The future of what
5) Challenge
6) s/t
7) Leaves
which is a good double LP in itself, but should really have been a more consistent LP.

I absolutely worship the"FURTHER LISTENING " comp. it's the best mix Cd ever and i discovered them through that one
AND the single history 91/§97 is also pure noisy bliss

extremely talented band
love the fat bass
and the jangly gtr and how that gtr sounds "double tracked" often it's great.

yay for unwound
whatever happened to them

I suppose everybody knows that VERn (Unwound bass player) played bass on the whole Blonde Redhead LP "Fake is just as good". Amazing.... yesssss

repeater 09.23.2008 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greedrex
i lurv Unwound
but this is possibly their worst record.

what?! noooooooooooooo

challenge is their "worst"

noisereductions 09.23.2008 07:36 AM

greedrex, in fairness it really is a single if you think about it. The songs fit on one CD. It's only on 2 to fit the videos and to mimic the vinyl.

Also, how the hell is it their worst? I can understand saying like CHALLENGE or FAKE TRAIN or REPETITION are their best, because they all come close. But LEAVES is insane. Not their worst by a long shot.

greedrex 09.23.2008 08:58 AM

ok
Unwound are a band i really LOOOVE
so saying "their worst" Lp is Leaves doesn't exactly encapsulate my feelings 100%.
It's THE ONE I LIKE AND LISTEN TO THE LEAST.
which in no way means it's bad (at all)
i just prefer ANY other LP from Unwound at this point.
i find this LP uninspired in terms of riffs, ideas, stamina, energy.
It's more subtle than any of their other releases which is good in itself but then i don't think subtelty really fits i like in Unwound i.e subdued rage.
once again , my own opinion, i don't have the monopoly of good taste.

actually i'm gonna spin this mofo just right now and will come back a little later to tell you how it felt.
he he

noisereductions 09.23.2008 09:09 AM

Now I understand completely. That's how I am with SY. I mean, the album I like the least by them, I probably still like more than most other bands' "favorite" album. Y'know?

greedrex 09.23.2008 09:13 AM

Yes i know.
and I know that you know that we KNOW.

noisereductions 09.23.2008 09:19 AM

hahaha, right.

batreleaser 09.23.2008 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uhler
nothing to do with the record but here's an interview that tobi vail and kathi wilcox did with unwound for jigsaw youth back in 92.

http://www.bumpidee.com/unwndinterview.html

die kreuzen is amazing

noisereductions 09.23.2008 01:46 PM

Has anyone else heard Sonic Boom's remix of "Demons Sing Love Songs?" It's pretty awesome. I have it (somewhere) on an old Matador promo comp called DRAW ME A RIOT which was a lot of remixes and rarities and stuff.

al shabbray 09.23.2008 01:49 PM

ooooh ye. love that album and listened to it yesterday, while it was raining like hell. perfect. the only flaw its a littel too long I think