Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

Iain 02.04.2007 02:41 PM

The Fountain was the last one and Apocalypto before that. Both featured Mayans in one way or another and both were shit. Take heed.

I was actually looking forward to both of them and had high hopes...in different ways.

Iain 02.04.2007 02:42 PM

Actually, those were the last things I saw at the cinema. I saw Junebug on dvd and that was really good.

TheDom 02.04.2007 02:46 PM

Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle (sort of a tradition among my friends..)

blastscenealibi 02.04.2007 05:54 PM

The Departed. Disappointed with it despite the nominations it's getting. It was a great action-thriller, though.

nomadicfollower 02.04.2007 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iain
The Fountain was the last one and Apocalypto before that. Both featured Mayans in one way or another and both were shit. Take heed.

I was actually looking forward to both of them and had high hopes...in different ways.

I thought the Fountain was alright. Definately not up to par with Aaronofsky's other films, but with the not so original plot, he did a good job.
He's got another one coming out soon - it's name, however, has slipped my mind - and from what I've read about it, it sounds like a good one.

Iain 02.04.2007 07:12 PM

He helped write the bloody not so original plot. I thought it was pretty damn bad and showed him up to be a skillful technician with plenty of tricks in his bag but absolutely no content whatsoever. And he abandoned all his tricks for the fountain but, oops, forgot to actually say anything. He might have got away with it if he'd ended the film 20 minutes earlier but he had to tack on some dubious buddhist imagery (bald, future Jackman in the lotus position, palms faced outwards...oh please!) to the whole mayan tree of life/Xibalba shtick which made the whole thing look very silly ideed. Utter, utter guff.

EMMAh 02.04.2007 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALIEN ANAL
is it to late to get stoned?
2:46 am?

Nooooo, it's never too early or too late.

I just watched Pulp Fiction.

k-krack 02.04.2007 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EMMAh
It's never too early or too late.

For Caltrate.

Katy 02.04.2007 11:49 PM

I went to see the new Peter O'Toole movie "Venus".

It's written by Hanif 'My Beautiful Laundrette' Kureishi and it's about a dirty old man (O'Toole) who falls for his friends 20-year-old slutty grand-niece. It's funny and tragic and lovely. Sort of like a geriatric 'Withnail & I' with shades of 'Harold & Maude'.

I liked it so much I'm currently in the process of stealing it (slowly) off the internet. Give me 10 hours or so and I should be able to enjoy it again, in small-screen avi format, in the comfort of my own PC-desk swivel-chair.

EMMAh 02.05.2007 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k-krack
For Caltrate.

I was actually thinking that when I wrote it haha.

terminal pharmacy 02.05.2007 05:28 AM

the last thing i watched was The Score the japanese film Tarantino ripped off for Res Dogs.

jon boy 02.05.2007 05:32 AM

saw

jon boy 02.05.2007 09:19 AM

i am looking forward to seeing factory girls.

Massenvernichtungswaffen 02.05.2007 09:25 AM

It was a french film. It was called "I stand alone"

Has anyone seen this film? It's straight up terrifying. Very fucking disturbing. I almost wish I'd not seen it.

samantha. 02.05.2007 09:08 PM

The Prestige.

TheDom 02.05.2007 10:18 PM

Raging Bull

Inhuman 02.05.2007 10:54 PM

Hotel Rwanda. It convinced me to help out with Amnesty. Such a sad movie...

Tokolosh 02.06.2007 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Massenvernichtungswaffen

Has anyone seen this film? It's straight up terrifying. Very fucking disturbing. I almost wish I'd not seen it.

Sounds like my kind of movie. Will check it out.

I watched Lars von Trier's masterpiece again.

You will now listen to my voice. My voice will help you and guide you still deeper into Europa. Every time you hear my voice, with every word and every number, you will enter into a still deeper layer, open, relaxed and receptive. I shall now count from one to ten. On the count of ten, you will be in Europa. I say: one. And as your focus and attention are entirely on my voice, you will slowly begin to relax. Two, your hands and your fingers are getting warmer and heavier. Three, the warmth is spreading through your arms, to your shoulders and your neck. Four, your feet and your legs get heavier. Five, the warmth is spreading to the whole of your body. On six, I want you to go deeper. I say: six. And the whole of your relaxed body is slowly beginning to sink. Seven, you go deeper and deeper and deeper. Eight, on every breath you take, you go deeper. Nine, you are floating. On the mental count of ten, you will be in Europa. Be there at ten. I say: ten.

lalie 02.06.2007 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Massenvernichtungswaffen

"I stand alone"? I don't know what that one could be. Do you know how it's called in french ?

SpankMarvin 02.06.2007 08:45 PM

Pan's Labyrinth. A good film, and a visual treat. I was shocked to see so many children in the cinema - did the parents think that a Rated R fairy tale would be like, err, THE Labyrinth?