Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Question about Confusion? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=23652)

noisereductions 07.22.2008 07:10 AM

Question about Confusion?

How come on the back of the CD the tracklisting has side B first, then side A? It was like that on the original (non-DGC) CD as well it seems. I just think that strange. Was it the original intention to begin with "Inhuman" and end with "Shaking Hell?"

greenlight 07.22.2008 07:15 AM

yes, that was tracklisting order how I got on tape given to me by my friend back when I was getting in SY. it started with Inhuman. then when I bought CD it was weird to hear (She's In A) Bad Mood as first track.

noisereductions 07.22.2008 07:19 AM

Strange, huh? I mean "Inhuman" and "She's In A Bad Mood" as album-openers seem to set two totally different moods. So are you saying that the actual cassette release had side B as side A? [heads off to Chris L's discography...] Nope! The picture shows the SST cassette with "SIDE ONE" beginning with "She's In A Bad Mood." Hmmm.

greenlight 07.22.2008 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
Strange, huh? I mean "Inhuman" and "She's In A Bad Mood" as album-openers seem to set two totally different moods. So are you saying that the actual cassette release had side B as side A? [heads off to Chris L's discography...] Nope! The picture shows the SST cassette with "SIDE ONE" beginning with "She's In A Bad Mood." Hmmm.

I don't know, it wasn't actuall original cassete, but that's what I thought that the original release from '83 has a tracklisting starting with Inhuman and yeah it does set two different moods. have to check Chris L's discography again.

noisereductions 07.22.2008 08:20 AM

OK so the cassette was SST, the CD was DGC, but the ORIGINAL VINYL was released on Neutral (Duh!) and look at this pic of the Neutral release:

That really seems to say that originally side 2 came first... so I wonder why when it was rereleased on SST and then re-rereleased on DGC they used an alternate tracklist. Soooo weird.

atari 2600 07.22.2008 11:35 AM

I had the SST cassette and it leads with side A on the tracklist. "(She's In A) Bad Mood" is the first track.
The SST cd and the first DGC cds have the switched-up tracklist on the back cover, as has been alluded.

The DGC reissue cd (w/the + KYI ep) begins with Bad Mood and is listed as such.

noisereductions 07.22.2008 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atari 2600
The DGC reissue cd (w/the + KYI ep) begins with Bad Mood and is listed as such.

No the DGC reissue CD (with KYI) still shows the backwards tracklisting. Like this:

atari 2600 07.22.2008 11:59 AM

http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang/lp/lp1.html

Oh well, I suppose we need yet another book haha to explain.

pbradley 07.22.2008 12:44 PM

Sounds like you guys are.... confused?

RanaldoNecro 07.22.2008 01:16 PM

I would say that it is a deliberate attempt to add mystique to the band..As a record hound Thurston would have encountered this and relayed it on to his own music...

Some old Lp's could be heard with faint crickets at the beginning of one track, etc. Just think of all of those albums that got banned.

yeah

RanaldoNecro 07.22.2008 01:19 PM

noisereductions,

Asking a question like this is kinda like asking why didn't they use a more readable font?

or why did I underline this post?

noisereductions 07.22.2008 01:25 PM

haha. Good call. It did occur to me that the switched up tracklisting was a reference to CONFUSION (b/c after that is truth).

The idea that it's a reference to some obscure misspressed records or whatever hadn't occured to me. Though it's a good thought. The same sort of homage that led to SONIC YOUTH being played backwards on side 2.

RanaldoNecro 07.22.2008 02:37 PM

Even when I first played Bad Moon, it is very criptic as each tracks goes into another.

What kinda art would it be if it didn't leave the particpant in some sort of wonder?

RanaldoNecro 07.22.2008 02:39 PM

The Kill Yr idols Ep is just insanley good.

atsonicpark 07.22.2008 02:41 PM

alternate title of thread: Confusion about Confusion

noisereductions 07.22.2008 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
alternate title of thread: Confusion about Confusion

As soon as I started the thread, I thought the same thing! haha "THAT's what I SHOULD've said!"

atsonicpark 07.22.2008 02:48 PM

haha

SYRFox 07.22.2008 07:32 PM

We could do Sex about Sex as well, it could be an interesting thread

Chris Lawrence 07.23.2008 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
OK so the cassette was SST, the CD was DGC, but the ORIGINAL VINYL was released on Neutral (Duh!) and look at this pic of the Neutral release:

That really seems to say that originally side 2 came first... so I wonder why when it was rereleased on SST and then re-rereleased on DGC they used an alternate tracklist. Soooo weird.

i think this picture actually gives us our answer, but not in the way you think.

read the fine print! above 'inhuman' it says "THIS:" indicating that this side (side 2) begins with Inhuman. and "THAT:" side (which would be side 1, whose label depicts the front cover image) begins with "Bad Mood". however, it looks like they took the CD back cover directly from the vinyl label, so side 2 appears first (the original vinyl had no track list on the back, check the discog for those curious).

i've wondered for years why the track list was depicted that way on the CD and i'll bet this is exactly the answer. (although 'inhuman' is the last song on side 1 of my vinyl, it's SST...)

that solved, i still want to know why "she's in a bad mood" says 'version'...

noisereductions 07.23.2008 07:24 AM

Chris you son of a bitch. Thanks, man! That does make perfect sense! "Confusion (Indeed)"