Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Stephen Malkmus! (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=4494)

afterthefact 07.25.2006 08:30 PM

Stephen Malkmus!

Playing the same note on guitar as the one you are singing in almost every song that you do is not as cool as I think you think it is!

terminal pharmacy 07.25.2006 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afterthefact
Playing the same note on guitar as the one you are singing in almost every song that you do is not as cool as I think you think it is!

it's his choice to do that musically, you either like the music or you don't. you are not as cool as what i think you think you are...........

afterthefact 07.25.2006 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy
it's his choice to do that musically, you either like the music or you don't. you are not as cool as what i think you think you are...........

I love his music, it was a joke. also, I don't give a fuck what you think of me. but thanks for stopping by! :)

sonic kid 51306 07.25.2006 09:46 PM

malkmus is a god!

luxinterior 07.25.2006 09:53 PM

Quote:

Sounds like Thurston's Psychic Hearts album.

fishmonkey 07.26.2006 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonic kid 51306
malkmus is a god!

'nuff said.

porkmarras 07.26.2006 06:23 AM

He's offensive.I liked Pavement when they popped up for the first time but then they started making less and less sense because of the above gentleman's puzzling lyrics.They should have stuck to instrumentals and never being interviewed.

afterthefact 07.26.2006 09:27 AM

It's not that his new stuff is bad, but you can definately tell that Pavement was a group effort :)

Lipslikewindows 07.26.2006 09:29 AM

I think if anyone wants to blast on the idea of picking out the melody you're singing, you should listening to Rather Ripped.

(not that I'm a fan of it. it works sometimes but both bands (Malk, SY) have started using it as a crutch)

kingcoffee 07.26.2006 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonic kid 51306
malkmus is a god!

I wouldn't go nearly as far to call him a god. He's definitely a very talented musician, and I love Pavement's material, but I don't think it constitutes "god-like" status. That title is reserved for a very select few of uniquely talented, genre altering musicians. It's up there for Lou Reed, David Bowie, Hendrix, Lennon, Sonic Youth, Flaming Lips, etc.

Infinite Spark 07.26.2006 09:44 AM

Since the Pavement split, a fair share of credit for their sound should be given to Spiral Stairs, cos Preston School of Industry are far better than 90% of Malkmus' solo stuff imho

afterthefact 07.26.2006 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infinite Spark
Since the Pavement split, a fair share of credit for their sound should be given to Spiral Stairs, cos Preston School of Industry are far better than 90% of Malkmus' solo stuff imho

PSOI kicks ass.

Inhuman 07.26.2006 09:57 AM

Silver Jews > Pavement IMO

He makes way better music with Berman I find. He nearly sings just as much as berman in American Waters, and I find it's better than any pavement album.

k-krack 07.26.2006 09:57 AM

Quote:

PSOI kicks ass.

sure as hell do.

Inhuman 07.26.2006 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luxinterior
Sounds like Thurston's Psychic Hearts album.

And practically anything by Sunny Day Real Estate. He does that continuously throughout Diary

fishmonkey 07.26.2006 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingcoffee
I wouldn't go nearly as far to call him a god. He's definitely a very talented musician, and I love Pavement's material, but I don't think it constitutes "god-like" status. That title is reserved for a very select few of uniquely talented, genre altering musicians. It's up there for Lou Reed, David Bowie, Hendrix, Lennon, Sonic Youth, Flaming Lips, etc.

maybe... but surely in somebody elses eyes they could see Malkmus as a god, i for one do, as i do Trent Reznor - now i realise that not everyone will see Reznor as a god-like musician but i do. Ok so Morrisson, Bowie, Hendrix, Lennon all wrote good music that stood the test of time and i'm guessing that you kingcoffee are a big Flaming Lips fan due to the fact you have included them in your list there, i dont share this opinion, and i think Hendrix was just a waster that choked on his own vomit.

so i supposed it all comes down to personal opinion on who actually qualifies as "god-like" and who is just standing the test of time.

Lipslikewindows 07.26.2006 10:52 AM

Flaming Lips blow with the exception of Drozd.

Oh, and so does the majority of PSOI.

afterthefact 07.26.2006 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lipslikewindows
Flaming Lips blow with the exception of Drozd.

Oh, and so does the majority of PSOI.

wrong... and wrong...

truncated 07.27.2006 04:10 AM

Malkmus and Pavement are and were, to be fair, largely fluff. A warbly, yet endearing voice, catchy melodies, John Peel, and a good emo hairdo can be credited for Pavement's eventual popularity. Lo-fi my ass; they were high-end studio all the way.

Which is not to say I don't listen to Pavement, because I do. They (and Malkmus, or whichever order you prefer) just weren't all that musically innovative.

I'm just sayin', like.

fishmonkey 07.27.2006 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truncated
Lo-fi my ass; they were high-end studio all the way.

slanted and enchanted
"high end studio"
i think not.