Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Do new LCD Soundsystem songs deserve their own thread? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=114941)

Severian 05.07.2017 08:05 PM

Do new LCD Soundsystem songs deserve their own thread?

Guess so, 'cuz I'm giving them one.

Anyway, some of you might remember that there was a time when I was quite smitten with LCD Soundsystem. Before they were this geberation's musical Seinfeld (an apropos comparison on more than one level).

So, after bowing out in 2011 or whatever, they're back, sounding like LCD Soundsystem, doing the "old guy with feelings" thing. It's a bit of a trope at this point, almost indistinguishable (to some, at least) from the Killers and other meh bands. But there's something James Murphy is able to nail about life and the struggle of living it.

Two songs: "Call the Police" (the banger), and "American Dream" (the sad sack epic ballad with the impossibly funky synths).

I was a little let down by the sound of Murphy's voice at first ... so clean, so normal... but then things started to click, and I have to say I like what I'm hearing. (That said, there is still something to be said for songs that are impactful and also less than 6 1/2 minutes, but whatever).

Here's "Call the Police
Here's "American Dream

Worth a listen even if you don't give a shit. The songs are being received quite well.

This is an album I will buy the day it comes out.

Severian 05.08.2017 07:05 PM

Are you guys serious?

It's 2017, so I know that anyone with even a passing interest in these songs has heard them. Do you really have nothing to say?

Man, if I'm the only one whose life is so fucking brutal that talking talking about this shit actually helps, I'm gonna be pissed.

guest 05.08.2017 11:46 PM

I just doubt anyone listens to this stuff....

Severian 05.13.2017 08:11 PM

The songs are actually pretty good.

LCD Soundsystem was a good band. They made three really good albums.

"Dance Yrself Clean" is fucking incredible.

Severian 05.14.2017 05:53 PM

Your loss. These songs were actually surprisingly strong the one time I listened to them. What, are you all just, like, not music nerds anymore?

Pffffffssshh. I'm embarrassed for you.

_slavo_ 05.18.2017 06:37 AM

Don't be. We all like different kinds of music. I loved the LCD Soundsystem first 2CD (with "Losing my edge" and the like) but I haven't paid too much attention since

Severian 05.18.2017 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
Don't be. We all like different kinds of music. I loved the LCD Soundsystem first 2CD (with "Losing my edge" and the like) but I haven't paid too much attention since

I'm not really embarrassed for anyone. Rather, I'm a bit confused about whether or not I "should" be embarrassed for myself for making this thread.

I usually don't worry about "shoulds" when it comes to music, but this is a weird situation. I actually don't love these songs. I'm not into hearing music about how depressing it is to get old because I'm already acutely familiar with that fact thanks very much. I don't worry about whether stuff is cool or not, but something about the fact that I jumped to the link for this "legacy" indie act from indie's brighter (and also duller) period makes me feel like a dad rock guy for the first time ever.

I already felt a little weird liking "All My Friends" when it was clearly resonating with people much younger than myself, while being made by someone older than myself.

Anyway, I just thought new stuff by formerly prominent indie-adjacent band would be discussion worthy on this board even if it was to slice and dice it.

Skuj 10.22.2017 07:56 PM

Well fuck!! Look at this thread.

American Dream came out Sep 1st, and this thread deserves it's own thread.

Severian 10.23.2017 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skuj
Well fuck!! Look at this thread.

American Dream came out Sep 1st, and this thread deserves it's own thread.

I can’t tell if you’re trying to be mean or if you just mis-spoke.

Whatever. American Dream is pretty good. It’s not *all* good, but the high points are very high indeed.

Skuj 10.23.2017 10:00 AM

I'm not trying to be mean. Sheesh.