Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   thurston more "fri/end" on jimmy kimmel (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=17495)

akesin 11.02.2007 09:58 AM

thurston more "fri/end" on jimmy kimmel

http://abc.go.com/primetime/jimmykim...age/index.html

atari 2600 11.02.2007 10:00 AM

Thurston on Jimmy Kimmel Tonight

syntax-free 11.02.2007 03:16 PM

it was lovely <3

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 11.02.2007 04:03 PM

Oh cool. I still haven't got my grubby little paws on a copy of the new record.

Danny Himself 11.02.2007 07:02 PM

Jimmy Kimmel is the USA's Jimmy Carr. What a greasy twat.

T-bone on form as usual though.

avantgarde1 11.02.2007 07:40 PM

i thought it was kinda boring actually. i like the new album, but i don't think i actually go see him live (not that he's coming by texas anyways), cept to see the psychic hearts encore stuff. i guess i just prefer T w/ an elec gtr. and jimmy kimmel is hilarious, he's way funnier than that leno douche... not as funny as conan though.

avantgarde1 11.02.2007 08:31 PM

see i disagree (except for how letterman has good music guests. that's dead on. then again SY was also on carson daly), i know it's an electric acoustic... but it's still an acoustic. and he just kinda stands there (the guy playing bass was awesome though, lol). and i really like those songs from 1,000 leaves live. they beef em up more for the live show and experiment alot more, which is why i love SY. especially before hoarfrost, that shit was awesome. i guess i just have a hard time accepting T playing acoustic stuff when i'm so use to him doing the exact opposite. although, like i said earlier, i really like the album, i just don't see it being that great live. i wanna see him jumping around and humping his guitar and getting into it. one of teh coolest thing i ever saw @ an SY show: they were playing the wilshire theatre in LA (on the Ghost & Flowers tour), it was either at the end or hoarfrost or teenage riot, but thurston, lee & jim all just went ballistic for about a minute and then just froze on their respective ends of the stage. then they slowly (very slowly) all started to move towards the middle of the stage like a triangle, guitars feebacking liek crazy, low/loud hums & all that is beautiful about SY, until they were all w/ in a foot of each other and then they just kinda collapsed real slow onto each other (like an art-rock dog pile), till it was all just guitars scraping up against other guitars and body parts... all you could see was flailing ass's, guitars & elbows..... and it was one of the koolest things i ever saw (cept for years later when they were playing the sunset junction street festival and lee grabbed a fans giant plastic light sword outta the crowd and started playing his guitar w/ it and striking star wars poses, that was fuckign awesome/hilarious... ask c lawrence he was there w/ me). i found a copy of that show on ebay years later and copped it... i still watch it often. sorry bout that tangent i went off on, but in closing... acoustic stuff is boring, when i go to acoustic shows it's usually at a bar where i can drink and sit down, like when i saw damien jurado and the guy from pedro the lion. long live loud electric rock shows (i hate the word concert)!

pbradley 11.02.2007 09:08 PM

"Fri/End" reminds me of Yo La Tengo's "Cherry Chapstick" just a bit.

sonicl 11.03.2007 12:49 AM

A totally dumb observation, I know, but I would've like to see T wearing his glasses for this performance. He looks damn cool and intellectual in specs. Which I think would be a good look to go with Trees Outside.

krastian 11.03.2007 12:18 PM

Did anyone else think it was hilarious when Steve was shaking his head trying to be a zombie or whatever right before the commercial before they went on??

whorefrost 11.03.2007 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbradley
"Fri/End" reminds me of Yo La Tengo's "Cherry Chapstick" just a bit.

yep, immediately thought the same thing upon first listen

cryptowonderdruginvogue 11.03.2007 01:01 PM

why me crank dat soulja boy